Is it possible.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
that Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 and Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W20 are the same oil? Here is a comparison of their data sheets:
Code:

Test PP QSUD

Grade 0W20 OW20

API Svc SN SN

ILSAC GF-5 GF-5

ACEA A1-02 A1-02

Gravity, API 34.8 34.8

Sp. Gravity 0.851 0.851

Vis, 40C 42.6 43.6

Vis, 100C 8.39 8.39

Vis Index 175 175

Flash Point 224C 435F (224C)

Pour Point -48C -48C

MRV Viscosity 17.5K 17.5K

CCS Viscosity 4840 4840

HT/HS Vis 2.6 2.6

Noack 14 14

The only difference in their data sheets was that the QSUD Flash Point was expressed in degrees F rather than degrees C. However, when converted, 435F = 224C.

Last time I checked at WallyWorld, QSUD was about $3 per jug less than PP. If their the same oil, this would make QSUD a best buy.

[censored]! Other than the flash point, its identical!

EDIT: Didnt realize the the flash points were not both in Fahrenheit

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Either they are the same or one data sheet was copied from another, except the Vis at 40C.

That is my fault. A typo I didn't catch. Both oils have a vis at 40C of 42.6. If one of the mods can correct this, I'd appreciate it.

Based on the data sheets, in 'this' viscosity they certainly look the same. That said, I'm not willing to make the leap that they are the same as far as add pack etc.

Also, I've never seen PP or QSUD 0w20's at my local Wally's, only start at 5w20.

I will say, now that QSUD has added the Honda HTO-06 cert(5w30) that PP has had, buying on price which now favors QSUD seems to be a smart move.

It would seem to make sense for SOPUS to formulate one oil for both PP and QSUD. one is highly advertised, PP, and the other ,less so, QSUD. Therefore the $2 price differential. Two brands rather than one gets more shelf space in the market place. I am sure that other different brands of the same owner do the same. This is a good question to ask of API sometime if they allow a specific oil to be qualified and then packaged under several brand names. FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: cp3
Maybe SOPUS isn't terribly concerned about the accuracy of their PDS? Check these two out...

I emailed them about that a few weeks back. They're supposed to be correcting that matter. It's probably the same issue with QSUD and PP. At least with QSUD and PP, it's within the realm of possibility that they are the same oil and/or have the exact same specifications. With Formula Shell Synthetic and Formula Shell conventional, I certainly don't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back