which gas do you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what brand of gas people here swear by as being the best.
I'm a little confused as I have heard both here on this forum and others say brand X is better than brand Y or Z.
Please state your brand, why you think it is better and the octane rating.

I have no favorites; never have. In both my vehicles, I buy fuel based on gas station convenience. I've never had a gasoline-related engine problem. IMHO, there's just not a whole lot of difference in which brand of gas you buy.

Octane, now that's a different story. My VW lives on minimum 89 octane. The Expy doesn't seem to care.

Chevron 93 octane. It seems to give me better gas mileage and better performance. My car has a performance chip that in conjuction with knock sensors can use the higher octane.

I was just searching for threads related to this and both that I found were no longer in existance.

I do not like Exxon or Mobil gas. For some reason my car doesn't run well on 87 Mobil gasoline. I use Shell/Sunnoco or Chevron/Texaco.

I like to buy conoco from flying J truckstop in Carney's point, NJ. Quite possibly one of the cheapest gas stations (especially for top-tier gas) in the country/world! mid-lat week, regulsar was $1.9x, premium was $2.18.

Otherwise, whatever name brand is cheapest...
I go for gulf, citgo, mobil, sunoco, shell, texaco, conoco, chevron, 76, 66, or sinclair, depending on where in the US I am.

JMH

I generally avoid **** hole gas stations and go to the cheapest name brand. After seeing what fuel tanker man had to say, I'm a believer that gas is gas and you simply can not go by even the brand name on the sign in front of the station.

HI, Around here in Central Michigan, I have found that Marathon, to be convenient. Citgo has a presence up here and it seems to be pretty good too.

The quality seems OK, as my old cars seem to like it. It's all priced too high!

Locally, there is no difference between gas brands other than Mobil. They all come from the same few refineries. Mobil also comes from these same refineries, but has an additive in it that the others don't.

There are a few Native American owned stations just across the border in New York that bring their gas in from Canada. These stations are about 10 cents a gallon cheaper than here in PA and 20 cents cheaper than other NY stations. I usually buy my gas from one of these when I travel into NY to see my parents or my fiancee.

I just use the cheapest gas I can find and add Fuel Power. Never have any problems and my vehicles run great.

Wayne

I usually fill up at the local Irving (local quebec based chain) or the shell station on my way to work. the only problem I've had w/ Irving was this winter.. they had a bit of water in their gas at a location near a job site. it was causing my miller bobcat's fuel line to freeze up. other than that, I'm not that picky.

-Bret

I've been buying Mobil lately. At most it costs me an additional $0.40/ fillup and my car does seem to prefer it over gulf or sunoco. Hess isn't too bad either.

39.5 mpg on Mobil 87 in my '02 Accent on my last tank.

Nice mileage!

Ive had excellent results with Hess in my truck and my GF's integra... very consistently.

JMH

I have used only shell in my 02 Silverado and it is at 78K miles with no gas related problems. With the 5% rebate on my shell card it is also the cheapest. (Well, my GM card gets 10% credit on Mobil, but that is not cash unless you buy a car)

Here in South Brunswick NJ its not the brand but the quality of the underground storage tank. The Raceway on Routh 1 South in North Brunswick is less than a year old and has a very high volume of customers. Fresh gas with no contaminates and good mpg on 87/89. The Exxon in South Brunswick on Route 1 North is good too. At the BP/Ammoco (Rt 1 North South Brunswick) & Exxon (Rt 1 South South Brunswick)we lose about 1.5 MPG.
Guess the point of my long winded post is....
Its not the brand but the quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back