Which Dual Sport bike to get?

There is no substitute for going to showrooms and sitting on a few, if not riding since you don't have experience yet.

Due to that, it would also benefit you to get that experience first, and also to get a used bike around $2500 or less to learn on and decide what you don't like, then resell for about what you paid without worrying about every scratch and dent you put on it.

Whether you want more than 250cc power or that due to lighter weight, you are better off settling for 250cc to start out, then deciding whether to go larger when you're ready for that.

Don't go into it thinking "this is the only bike I'll ever own or want". You will appreciate different things after riding a while.

I would also look at the Yamaha XT225/Serow. It's light and plenty fast as long as you're not cruising on the highway @ 80mph all day (might do 75).
Gets about 85mpg and holds ~ 2.5 gal of gas so will run all day on a tank and has a low seat height for short guys like me -- 5"7".

I would also look at the Yamaha XT225/Serow. It's light and plenty fast as long as you're not cruising on the highway @ 80mph all day (might do 75).
Gets about 85mpg and holds ~ 2.5 gal of gas so will run all day on a tank and has a low seat height for short guys like me -- 5"7".
I’m 5’8” myself and that seat higher is very appealing. I am however wondering if my weight on the suspension will lower it enough to be flat footed on the ground but on a 250cc. I’ll be going to the showroom floor next week to see.

Japanese bikes are the best choice as a blanket statement, KTM are lighter, usually but then,,, I certainly miss the two strokes .

Hey guys!
As per the title, I want a dual sport for nothing more than to ride through the pasture and some back dirt roads. No “sweet jumps”, no wheelies, no racing(all the fun I know). Just a bike that has a headlight that I can enjoy riding in the country where the trees don’t have cell phones distracting them. Just for good measure I will be taking an MSF course prior to my purchase as I have never ridden before.

I’m 5’8” 190lbs. Would a 250cc be plenty good? Again I’m not going to be ripping the throttle and doing crazy stuff. It’ll be my walk in the park so to speak.

Honda? Suzuki? Kawasaki? Yamaha? I have no clue who makes the preferred dually. For the type of riding I plan to do I’m sure they will all suffice. Also, I feel like buying used isn’t smart because of all the typical abuse these type of bikes see...
I agree with the others who recommend getting into something used and inexpensive, see what you like, what you don't, and go from there. There are lots of good bikes, some of it is about intended purpose, some is personal preference, and some part of it is just what you want to do that day. Motorcycles are like guitars in the sense of how many do you need? Just one more.

If you are just getting started putting down dirt roads really anything with decent tires will work. We were riding street bikes on dirt roads long before dual sport bikes were invented. Get something you think you will like, if you do like it, keep it, if you don't, sell it.

Buying used in good condition is highly advisable. There are plenty of solid, sound bikes for sale, people buy them, ride them a few times, plans change, and sometimes there are some good deals to be had. It's important to recognize that riding off of the paved surface does increase the probability that at some point you will drop this bike, for most of us it isn't "if" but "when." It's easier to take if you didn't pay as much, and even easier if there are already a few scuff marks.

That said, if money is not an object and you want to buy new, at least look at the Yamaha WR250F.

And above all, don't get caught up in engine size as a measure of anything. Part of it is the intended purpose, part of it is the rider, part is the particular motorcycle, and so on. There are applications in dual-sport riding in which I have found 798 cc bikes sorely lacking and applications in which 625 cc was far too much motorcycle for any minimally sane person and applications where 400 cc was just right.

It's also worth thinking about load carrying capacity, if you even think you might want to get into overnight motorcycle camping that is a consideration.

Best of luck and please let us know what you end up with.

My thought is take the MSF course, typically there a few different smaller bikes to choose from and you can get an idea of the power with respect to engine size comparison to a dual sport. Heck they maybe even have a dual sport but I doubt it. The XT250 or KLX300 or similar are pretty good first bikes. Trail 125 has an automatic clutch, but learning a clutch on the outside chance he hasn’t ever used a clutch on any vehicle is pretty simple. The rider controls the throttle and a 250/300 gives a bit of room to grow up on for a mature adult. With that said if all you’re looking for something to putter around on back dirt roads then the Trail 125 would be an incredibly nostalgic and probably practical choice.

Suzuki DR/DRZ, pick your preferred engine size.

I think the DRZ400 is the only water cooled one, but I might be wrong about that. The other models are easy to work on, air cooled, dependable bikes. If you want a simple, fun bike with little maintenance, those are hard to beat.

Suzuki DR/DRZ, pick your preferred engine size.

I think the DRZ400 is the only water cooled one, but I might be wrong about that. The other models are easy to work on, air cooled, dependable bikes. If you want a simple, fun bike with little maintenance, those are hard to beat.
Agreed on the DRZ. I like the 400 better, more nimble. To me it's the C-130 of the motorcycle world, go anywhere, do anything, don't quit. I've owned a lot of motorcycles and if I could only own one and off-road was any part of the plan I think the DRZ would win.

Hey guys!
As per the title, I want a dual sport for nothing more than to ride through the pasture and some back dirt roads. No “sweet jumps”, no wheelies, no racing(all the fun I know). Just a bike that has a headlight that I can enjoy riding in the country where the trees don’t have cell phones distracting them. Just for good measure I will be taking an MSF course prior to my purchase as I have never ridden before.

I’m 5’8” 190lbs. Would a 250cc be plenty good? Again I’m not going to be ripping the throttle and doing crazy stuff. It’ll be my walk in the park so to speak.

Honda? Suzuki? Kawasaki? Yamaha? I have no clue who makes the preferred dually. For the type of riding I plan to do I’m sure they will all suffice. Also, I feel like buying used isn’t smart because of all the typical abuse these type of bikes see...
I am a huge Honda fan, mainly because of their quality and everything they have proven with wining for decades in almost every car and motorcylcle competition that is out there. It also the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world.

I have owned multiple honda dirtbikes and also some other brand in the beginning but mainly honda.

I currently own a 2010 CRF 450X enduro, the difference between the X and the CRF450R is that the X is a little bit tuned more for torque and reliabilty, it has a quick acces air filter and electric start with headlights and a side stand. This was the last carburater Honda mx dirtbike.

I use it for trail riding, enduros and a lot of sand riding. I opt to also ride mx tracks again with it next year.

This is bike is however based on an full race bred mx bike so it has the best suspension, frame, power etc... but also the maintenance that comes with it, although it isnt that bad and depends on usage.

I think that with the usage you mention the crf 250l will do great, especialy if youre a beginner. The power band is pretty preditcable and broad, is requires only regular maintenace as far as i heard and the suspension etc.. is sufficient for what you are going to do with it.

Honda also made an xr 400, some see these as the best offroad bikes honda has ever made with the right power/wheight/reliability specs and also electric start if i am not mistaking.

Buying tips:

The current crf450x i own is in new condition even after 10 years, that is because the previous and thus first owner had his own motorcycle shop.
However i've also had horrible bikes, the thing that really makes the difference on these bikes is that its all m6 m8 m10 bolts and almost all the threads are in alluminum, most of the torque specs are 20 till 40 nm and a lot of people strip them easily.

I always opt to buy a bike that looks as original as possible with oem pipe, wheels, decals, seatcover etc.. for me it tells a lot about the bike, how it was used, where money was spend on, and if you want to mod it you can start from a clean slate.
Original looking bikes also have the best resale value.

I am 6,2 and have no problems with length but i do not think 5,8 will be an problem either. For most hondas you can also get aftermarket lowering links which reduces the height a litte, sometimes you can also shave the seat a litte, but as i said i dont think it is needed.

Attachments

• crf 450x 2010.jpeg
    crf 450x 2010.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 11
Navy Vet,, I saw a video last week on youtube of a couple who travelled 30,000 km's on 2 CRF250 Hondas from Greece to Mongolia and back thru hills, rocky mountain roads, streams, sheep trails, paths for goats and paths for no goats, you name it and those bikes did it

is 190 your dry weight or fully kitted?
that honda has now become 300 and sounds like an excellent bike after talking to my local dealer service manager. However you may find to too high.
How about KTM 390

Navy Vet,, I saw a video last week on youtube of a couple who travelled 30,000 km's on 2 CRF250 Hondas from Greece to Mongolia and back thru hills, rocky mountain roads, streams, sheep trails, paths for goats and paths for no goats, you name it and those bikes did it

If you like that sort of thing head over to ADV (adventure rider) you can stay busy for weeks...

OP, hows the bike shopping going?

Back