Which Dino Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone

I presently use Castrol GTX 5w30 cold months, 10w30 warmer months in my 1995 Nissan 4x4 V6 truck. I change the oil every 3 months or 3000 miles (WCF)without fail. Well, I have read there are some other great Dino oils as well . some other names are Pennzoil, Chevron, and Motorcraft. Naming the four above mentioned oils what is my best bet?
Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind I would like to tag Mobil Super Clean oil onto your list. it is very low priced compared to the other big name brands. What's the list's opinion of this oils?

Why not just stick with GTX? It works well and shows good oil analysis results. Sure there might be some oils out there for 50 cents less per quart, but we're talking about only a few dollars difference per year. If you're gonna stick with a dino oil you can't go wrong with GTX IMO. I just picked up a second 4L jug of GTX 5w30 (to go in my sister's car for 2 intervals in a row) for $5 CDN! That's only 80 cents US per liter!! You can't beat that bargain! For comparison, my dad just picked up a 4L jug of Mobil 1 today and it was almost $30 CDN.

i just swapped over from GTX to mobil 1 clean blend (10w-30 weights) and the GTX tended to get black really quick while the mobil 1 isnt black yet and im 1500 miles into the change (normally by this time w/ GTX i had no problem checkin the oil level if ya know what i mean by black. Also the mobil 1 has yielded me a couple extra PSI of oil pressure so im not complaining about M1... Plus its CHEAP

Patman,
i don't know why, but at Costco (warehouse club)the GTX is $18 a case, the Mobil 1 is less than $24 for 6 Qt case. You seem to get a deal.
shocked.gif

I saw another oil today at Canadian Tire but I'm not sure if it's the same one that you guys have. It's in a blue jug and it's made by Mobil but it doesn't say anything on it except Mobil 10w30, and it has that red horsey logo. It doesn't say Drive Clean on it or anything. Is this a Canada only oil? What is it? There was no price on the shelf for it though, it was stored higher up and out of reach.

I like the GTX because of the high moly content. A lot of the low priced oils don't have moly, or have a very low concentration.

quote:

i just swapped over from GTX to mobil 1 clean blend (10w-30 weights) and the GTX tended to get black really quick while the mobil 1 isnt black yet and im 1500 miles into the change

I always thought if an oil turned black really quick, that it had a good detergent package, and was cleaning the engine.......?Am I correct?
dunno.gif

I like the Chevron Supreme or the Mobil Drive Clean. Both are priced right and both perform as well or better...much better?.. than some of the other over-marketed dino oils.

I was just thinking today, I don't hear any people on here talk about using Quaker State or Valvoline dino oil at all. Does anyone here use it? I can't recall a single UOA on either of them here.

I have a UOA coming on my '88 Jeep using Valvoline All Climate 10-30. It was in use for about 3500 miles, so we'll see how it looks. Everything I have is currently running the durablend product, so we'll see how those look too.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
...it's made by Mobil but it doesn't say anything on it except Mobil 10w30, and it has that red horsey logo. It doesn't say Drive Clean on it or anything. Is this a Canada only oil? What is it? There was no price on the shelf for it though, it was stored higher up and out of reach.

If memory serves, Mobil conventional oil did not say "Drive Clean" on the bottles a couple years ago. I could be wrong on that, but I know the "Drive Clean" wording is now pretty prominent on those wide-neck bottles of SL Mobil conventional. Back when it was sold in the plain-jane blue bottles, I don't recall "Drive Clean" being printed on the bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by bluedevils:
If memory serves, Mobil conventional oil did not say "Drive Clean" on the bottles a couple years ago. I could be wrong on that, but I know the "Drive Clean" wording is now pretty prominent on those wide-neck bottles of SL Mobil conventional. Back when it was sold in the plain-jane blue bottles, I don't recall "Drive Clean" being printed on the bottle.

Mobil Drive Clean Blend was introduced in 2000 and conventional Drive Clean was introduced in the mid 90s. The older blue "regular size" oil bottles did have Drive Clean on them. I used to use this oil in an old pickup I had briefly a few years ago.

I would love to use GTX 5w-30, but in MN it would not work well. It has poor cold wether properties. Pour at -27f and poor ccs.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I would love to use GTX 5w-30, but in MN it would not work well. It has poor cold wether properties. Pour at -27f and poor ccs.

If I were forced to choose a 5w30 dino oil for our winter up here, I'd probably go with the Pennzoil 5w30. It appears to have cold weather performance very similar to (if not better than) most group 3 synthetics.

Patman: re: Penzzoil for cold weather, better than GTX, etc. Pardon me, but isn't Penzzoil the same as Quaker State now? When I go into the website of one, I get information on the other.

I would like to try it just to satisfy my curiosity. But i think I will try a synthetic first. Just to be able to say, "been there, done that." I'll dump the syn out at 3000 and go back to good ol' Dino.

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:
Patman: re: Penzzoil for cold weather, better than GTX, etc. Pardon me, but isn't Penzzoil the same as Quaker State now? When I go into the website of one, I get information on the other.

Both companies still carry different oils, even though it's one big company they operate independantly and their oils are not the same. Johnny can explain it best since he's worked for Pennzoil for many years. I saw the specs on Quaker State vs Pennzoil and for cold weather the Pennzoil is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back