Which car should I get rid of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Mazda 3 45000 miles runs good had some starting issues over the cold winter and mostly short trips on this car. Or 2010 Ford Focus 75000 miles runs perfect having some rattling in my front suspension which I need to look into A lot of highway miles on this car
The girl and I am moved in together and it's pointless to have three cars I'm not getting rid of my Mustang ha

If it was me I'd get rid of the Mustang and fix the others. That said... I'd let go the Mazda if it has rust popping up already. Focus should be cheap to fix whatever issue it has.

Then again, what gets better mpg? If you are doing lots of highway for the next few years, you might want to keep the one that costs less over that time span.

Get rid of the Focus. I have a 2009 and wish I'd not purchased it.

The first two years it was a great car. Then, all the issues started. Wheel bearings shot....sway bars replaced....horrid brake vibration/squeal....alignment causing extreme tire wear.....terribly rough idle for first 30 minutes (no cause found).....and the worst defroster I've ever had.

Only good thing about it has been it's mpg's. It's paid off now and I intend on driving it until it explodes...which I expect well before it reaches 150k miles.

As always you'll get widely varying opinions.

My opinion is a real tough call based on just my own personal feelings of course.....

Focus of that era is just not a car I like.. Small interior, ugly exterior, replacement Focus (2012) is better in almost every way except maybe cabin space (still small)

Mazda is well known in Northern areas to have major rot issues and I personally would never own one based on what I see around here.

That being said based on the miles, I would have to say I would let the Focus go, strictly based on the fact the other car has less wear on it. Just try to keep it washed in the winter for any hope of it having a solid body in 5+ years.

Swaybar end links? Hey thanks it must be a common problem huh? Easy job to fix? Yeah the gas mileage is about the same with the Mazda. I didn't know about the Rust problems with the mazda. But yeah it's tough I really do like both cars.
Again the Mustang is my fun weekend car, is paid off and has never been in the shop

Sell the Mazda AND the Focus and buy a nice, good looking, reliable, good on gas, fun car.

I think the only term I listed above that both of these cars meet is good on gas.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
...sway bars replaced...

Wow, never heard of replacing sway bars except as a performance upgrade. Was it some kind of warranty thing?

How long have you known the Mazda, Focus, Mustang and the Girl? Do you have to get rid of the one from that list?

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Originally Posted By: andrewg
...sway bars replaced...

Wow, never heard of replacing sway bars except as a performance upgrade. Was it some kind of warranty thing?

Nope....the warranty had expired and the cost was out of pocket.

I know many here think the Focus is a decent car....especially the newest models. But after my 2009's annoying quality issues, and some other recent Ford dissatisfaction, I'll not be buying any vehicles from them in the future.

Originally Posted By: jay929
Swaybar end links? Hey thanks it must be a common problem huh? Easy job to fix? Yeah the gas mileage is about the same with the Mazda. I didn't know about the Rust problems with the mazda. But yeah it's tough I really do like both cars.
Again the Mustang is my fun weekend car, is paid off and has never been in the shop

Sway bar end links are very common on the Focus. I can't count how many I did over the years I worked at a dealership.

Mazda 3 should be most reliable of these cars in the long run. Suggest you keep the car that will be most reliable. I live in the South so rust is never an issue - can't comment on each cars propensity to rust. Given that situation I'd sell everything and move South but that's a whole other story : )

The noise may also be the sway bar bushings, another easy fix. But me, I'd keep the Mazda...

2010 Mazda 3 45000 miles runs good had some starting issues over the cold winter and mostly short trips on this car. Or 2010 Ford Focus 75000 miles runs perfect having some rattling in my front suspension which I need to look into A lot of highway miles on this car
The girl and I am moved in together and it's pointless to have three cars I'm not getting rid of my Mustang ha

I think we are missing the point here. Which car is yours and which car is hers? What happens if you get rid of hers and she leaves?? A lot depends on your relationship.

Wayne

Get rid of whichever car you like least.
Wait until you and the GF are seriously married, though.
A Muskrat in winter in IL would not be my first choice as an only car. Maybe not even in summer.
Easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back