Which brake pad and rotors are best for a Chevy Equinox

Thanks for that info. I never considered getting the GM rotors.

whatever you do, get the GM genuine rotors from rock auto or amazon or the dealer or wherever. That coating and process for coating is the most robust out there.
Element 3 coated rotors are ok but the coating eventually comes off. The coating on the GM rotors on non-swept surfaces doesn't.

Not Amazon or eBay, unless the seller is an actual dealer or other reputable source. If you buy from Amazon, choose a marketplace seller that's reputable, and make sure the rotors are sold from and shipped from them, too.

Rock Auto has the GM rotors at a good price and uses reputable warehouses that supply independent parts stores. The next time you buy from Rock Auto, Google the return address to find out where they came from :)

However, if he already needs new rotors after 4 years, that's about as long as the Raybestos/Powerstop Geomet coating lasts anyway. They will still come off clean without having to use a hammer.

If you get the Raybestos or Powerstop rotors, do not spray them with brake cleaner because that will weaken the coating.

Working at a GM dealer, nothing special about the GM rotors... I run element3 pads and rotors on all my personal stuff and will continue... Great brakes for a good price

Replaced the year pads and rotors last fall due to some deep grooves in the rotors at 22k miles. We were told the front pads had about 35% life left and are now at 33k miles, so wanted to plan on replacing them toward the end of the summer.
Very very very common on the rears of the Terrain/Equinox... Rotors don't last and get grooved bad really quick... The fronts do to but not as bad... The OEM brakes are IMO junk

Working at a GM dealer, nothing special about the GM rotors... I run element3 pads and rotors on all my personal stuff and will continue... Great brakes for a good price
im not talking about the rotors with the painted "hat" these rotors..
if you think the element 3's have anything on this you're fooling yourself. I put element 3's on my civic and the coating was gone and rusting like an un coated rotor in less than a year.
You dont see that on the gm rotors which are coated using the process I posted a link to above

if you think the element 3's have anything on this you're fooling yourself. I put element 3's on my civic and the coating was gone and rusting like an un coated rotor in less than a year.
You dont see that on the gm rotors which are coated using the process I posted a link to above
I was going to post the same link - GM has a patent on that process as well. You have to buy OE GM(ACDelco blue label) instead of the gold or silver lines, which I think are reboxed Raybestos pads and Chineseium rotors.

The Germans and Japanese have used Geomet(or zinc plating) or a e-coat but the swept area of the rotor will rust. I’ve seen OE Toyota rotors not get all surfaces as rusty as aftermarket.

Yeah, the rotors that come OEM on the equinox/terrain, junk. They don't last, we need to replace them for grooving really bad, and causing bad pulsations. I do work as a tech at a GM dealer, we see it all the time.
I run element 3s on all my cars, 3 years later still looking good in northern Canada

Rotors faces still rust no matter the rotors... Braking takes it off in no time on just about any rotor. It's inside the vanes and the hub that stays on good. The rotors on lots of GM's still groove really bad, they need to be turned or replaced often here. Those rotors you have listed are also terribly expensive. It's basically for appearance only. We also have lots of tsbs for crappy pads that squeak and need to be replaced with new formulations on the Traverse/Acadia/Blazers... Some of the new Trailblazers/Encores...I think the trucks as well. The trucks if used doing any sort of work or off road wear the rear pads and rotors right out. Those rotors are nothing special... Stop pretending they are, we see them everyday

Owner reports bad grooving on an Equinox, imagine that

Last edited:
I was also going to order calipers on RA and return them if I don't end up needing them. If I order with PayPal they will refund the return shipping. I can get Raybestos reman coted or element 3 new uncoted. Which would you recommend?

How much work does that involve, and is it actually cost effective? The remans are $38 on RA and the new ones are $57.

I was also going to order calipers on RA and return them if I don't end up needing them. If I order with PayPal they will refund the return shipping. I can get Raybestos reman coted or element 3 new uncoted. Which would you recommend?

If you buy calipers, get the new ones.

Does anyone know if the element 3 calipers are coted? Rock Auto's catalog says they are not but other sites say they are.

I've used all three that you mentioned on various vehicles I have at some point. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. I have been using Raybestos Element 3 rotors and Element 3 pads on my heavy Trailblazer for some time. I have nothing but good things to say about this combination. This would be my recommendation for your Equinox.
How are the dust and noise levels? I saw some posts saying those could be issues on some vehicles.

Ok, finally getting around to getting this stuff ordered. Leaning toward the EHT3 pads and rotors. If I go with the Akebono Proacts it will cost about $80 more than the Raybestos EHT3's. Is there any reason to spend the extra money for the Akebonos over the EHT3's? Has anyone used both and can offer any comparisons?

Mike,

My wife has Akebono's on her BMW. My Cadillac currently has Power Stop pads and the Trailblazer has Element 3's. I can't compare the three as they are different cars, weight, wheelbase, suspension, etc. Not a fair comparison. I will say after 224K miles; I've towed boats, Uhauls, etc. with the Trailblazer which has gone through various brands of pads. (Mostly Duralast Golds and Wagner) The Element 3's are my favorites.

Being my "work truck", it doesn't get washed often so I would know if there is excessive brake dust on the wheels. There is not. I experience no excessive braking sounds.

Glad to see you are doing your research, but quality-wise, you can't go wrong with any of your original choices. Again, for your vehicle, the best bang for the buck are the Element 3's.

Mike,

My wife has Akebono's on her BMW. My Cadillac currently has Power Stop pads and the Trailblazer has Element 3's. I can't compare the three as they are different cars, weight, wheelbase, suspension, etc. Not a fair comparison. I will say after 224K miles; I've towed boats, Uhauls, etc. with the Trailblazer which has gone through various brands of pads. (Mostly Duralast Golds and Wagner) The Element 3's are my favorites.

Being my "work truck", it doesn't get washed often so I would know if there is excessive brake dust on the wheels. There is not. I experience no excessive braking sounds.

Glad to see you are doing your research, but quality-wise, you can't go wrong with any of your original choices. Again, for your vehicle, the best bang for the buck are the Element 3's.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm going to place the order tomorrow and the EHT3's are what I'll likely end up going with. The older vehicle currently has Powerstop pads and rotors and they seem to ware out quickly, and the cold bite is terrible.

Another vote for the Element 3 pads and rotors - I put them on my SRX last year and they're quiet, dust free and stop well. Definitely my favorite pad and rotor, and the price from Rockauto is excellent.

Another vote for the Element 3 pads and rotors - I put them on my SRX last year and they're quiet, dust free and stop well. Definitely my favorite pad and rotor, and the price from Rockauto is excellent.
Out of curiosity have you ever tried the Akebonos?

Element 3 calipers are coated as are the rotors, they are good, no issues with many installs. The pads are very good and priced right, I don't see the value in Akebono pads I have tried them and were not overly impressed for the performance/price value.

Back