Which brake pad and rotors are best for a Chevy Equinox

I know different brake brands perform differently on different vehicle manufacturers. I've heard good things about both Rybestos Element and Akebono ultra pads. Also going with coted rotors and not sure if I should go with Powerstop or Rybestos. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

I've used all three that you mentioned on various vehicles I have at some point. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. I have been using Raybestos Element 3 rotors and Element 3 pads on my heavy Trailblazer for some time. I have nothing but good things to say about this combination. This would be my recommendation for your Equinox.

I've used all three that you mentioned on various vehicles I have at some point. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. I have been using Raybestos Element 3 rotors and Element 3 pads on my heavy Trailblazer for some time. I have nothing but good things to say about this combination. This would be my recommendation for your Equinox.
Awesome, thanks! I also forgot to include that a family member has a 2018 Equinox that I'll be changing the front brakes on as well. Not sure if recommendations are the same for that one since it's a different generation.

Powerstop coated rotors and EBC Ultimax2 pads :)
Though Rock Auto doesn't sell EBC, they are still worth buying. Dust should be similar to OE.

The Power Stop coated rotors and the Raybestos E3 coated seem like they could be the exact same.

Another option is the GM OE rotors and pads, which are available at a good price from Rock Auto.

I've had good success using the OEM brake rotors and Akebono pads on my GM vehicles. The vast majority of GM vehicles come from the factory with Akebono pads and rotors. I prefer the OEM rotors because they are designed to combat "lot rot" better than the average rotor and they seem to be heavier as well. The pads I usually just get the Akebono ones because they are less expensive.

Keep in mind that the electronic rear parking brake on that Equinox must be put into service mode via the computer. Some cars require a scan tool, others have a sequence of pressing the parking brake button to retract the caliper. If you twist in the calipers without doing this, you are going to be buying new rear calipers.

The Raybestos pads are actually about half the cost of the Akebonos on Rock Auto if I remember correctly. They are selling a kit of the raybestos E3 pads and coted rotors for about $100 per axel.

I know different brake brands perform differently on different vehicle manufacturers. I've heard good things about both Rybestos Element and Akebono ultra pads. Also going with coted rotors and not sure if I should go with Powerstop or Rybestos. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Depends on the driving style and how much you want to spend, all of those, you mentioned, are good.

I've seen a few posts on this site with some people saying Raybestos pads only lasted about 10-15k miles. Are these valid concerns?

I've seen a few posts on this site with some people saying Raybestos pads only lasted about 10-15k miles. Are these valid concerns?

How many miles did you get on your original pads from 2018? Remember that driving conditions do vary :unsure:

Replaced the year pads and rotors last fall due to some deep grooves in the rotors at 22k miles. We were told the front pads had about 35% life left and are now at 33k miles, so wanted to plan on replacing them toward the end of the summer.

No, they usually last a lot longer than that by 3 or 4x in normal use. Like a clutch a lot depends on the driver and the condition of the brake calipers.
Sticking caliper pins or pistons will wear any brake pad down quick. Driving mostly in town using the brakes at every street crossing will also wear them down faster, in fact for vehicles in that kind of service taxi, police cars, uber drivers many companies offer special pads.

I have been using Elements 3 for some years now in fact I just put them on my own winter Subaru outback, no issues whatsoever.

That makes sense. The Akebono Proacts and performance pads also sound good from reviews but are about $20 more per set. Are these better or comparable to the EHT3's?

When you read this type of complain, you may want to put that in context on what kind of car, year make and model.
A brand probably not good for all cars.

My experience is limited to a 2017 Sienna.
It has been good and less dusty than the OEM.

So the rybestos are definitely the better option?
The ones I have gotten and that is a lot all have been GG rated, the ones I just got for the Suby are GH which is a good indicator they are not just one mixture for every pad or every vehicle. IMO they are a best value for the money option.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me. Powerstop are also priced similarly but I’ve heard mixed reviews on those. I can’t find a lot of info for the equinox or gm vehicles.

Another Element3 fan chiming in. I’ve loved them on every vehicle that I’ve put them on and have had zero issues with noise, dust, or lifespan. Haven’t had to replace any yet and it’s been years since installing them.

whatever you do, get the GM genuine rotors from rock auto or amazon or the dealer or wherever. That coating and process for coating is the most robust out there.
Element 3 coated rotors are ok but the coating eventually comes off. The coating on the GM rotors on non-swept surfaces doesn't.

Back