Which 5W-20.... Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum For Chrysler MS-6395 Spec ??

I've been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 in my 5.7 Jeep HEMI V-8 since I bought it new in 2015. Mostly because back then there weren't too many oils that met the Chrysler MS-6395 spec. Now there are several. Because of the supply chain shortage the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum can be hard to find at times.

I noticed today that my Wal-Mart has Castrol Edge Full Synthetic in 5W-20, and it also meets the MS-6395 Chrysler spec. So I was thinking of switching to it. Are any of you guys running this stuff? And what do you think of it?

I don't get the whole "Made From Natural Gas" deal that Pennzoil advertises. But it sure sounds good. I'm wondering how it measures up to the Castrol Edge, which say's, "20,000 miles between oil changes guaranteed"..... Guaranteed what? What say you?
Order the oil you want from WM online. 2-3 day delivery to your front door. Orders over $35 ship free. I think Ultra, typically, has lower evaporation and less ash than Castrol.

There has been some recent conversation (in the Euro Tech groups) that Pennzoil's GTL based products had film strength issues that were causing rapid engine wear on some recent BMW engines. The issue was very prevalent during cold starts. It is supposedly one of the main reasons BMW ended the Pennzoil relationship and went back to Castrol.

Is there any ascertainable proof of this, or is it just speculation based on opinion, or bad blood between BMW and Pennzoil? It just seems out of the ordinary. One would think if it was in fact the Pennzoil that was the cause of all this "rapid engine wear" on BMW engines, it would be wearing the same in other engines.

I've heard nothing of the sort coming from Chrysler Jeep, who has recommended this oil for several years now. In literally hundreds of thousands of HEMI V-8 engines, for tens of millions of miles. And yet BMW screams "rapid engine wear" after only a couple of years, if that. Sounds fishy.

After all, bad oil is bad oil. Yet this is the first I've heard about this oil being attached to any accusations of, "rapid wear". Which makes me somewhat skeptical.

Is there any ascertainable proof of this, or is it just speculation based on opinion, or bad blood between BMW and Pennzoil? It just seems out of the ordinary. One would think if it was in fact the Pennzoil that was the cause of all this "rapid engine wear" on BMW engines, it would be wearing the same in other engines.

I've heard nothing of the sort coming from Chrysler Jeep, who has recommended this oil for several years now. In literally hundreds of thousands of HEMI V-8 engines, for tens of millions of miles. And yet BMW screams "rapid engine wear" after only a couple of years, if that. Sounds fishy.

After all, bad oil is bad oil. Yet this is the first I've heard about this oil being attached to any accusations of, "rapid wear". Which makes me somewhat skeptical.
I'd say most of the "rapid engine wear" occuring in modern BMWs comes from them burning excessive amounts of oil to the point BMW even started recommending people over fill their engine 15 billion technical updates later I'm sure their twin turbo V8 is still crap.

And I'm still struggling with the notion that bearings in an engine are having a problem with "film strength". How would you know? That would indicate a complete breakdown of any of the lubricant properties. I think that whomever trotted out that phrase didn't know what they were talking about or ran the usual useless test and came to that conclusion based on useless data.

Even if the BMW/GTL thing is a real thing, it wouldn't really be applicable here. The BMW stuff is 3.5 HTHS ACEA A4 or C3 based oil which is really completely different than a 5w20 sold here.

I would use either of those oils (and I have several times) without any concerns, but as someone else said earlier my favorite oil in this category is QSUD (or maybe they call it QSFS now?)

And I'm still struggling with the notion that bearings in an engine are having a problem with "film strength". How would you know? That would indicate a complete breakdown of any of the lubricant properties. I think that whomever trotted out that phrase didn't know what they were talking about or ran the usual useless test and came to that conclusion based on useless data.
In a nutshell the info came from Autologic, which is probably one of the more reputable sources in the Euro space.

The choice of words was probably misused at some point in the communication chain.

Even if the BMW/GTL thing is a real thing, it wouldn't really be applicable here. The BMW stuff is 3.5 HTHS ACEA A4 or C3 based oil which is really completely different than a 5w20 sold here.
They're using mostly LL01FE or LL17 now, both of which are < 3.5.
While that is the truth, I doubt that partnership would last if their oil was tearing up their engines.
I would make the argument that lubrication requirements for the FCA engine family is far less demanding than any of the current BMW powertrains.

In a nutshell the info came from Autologic, which is probably one of the more reputable sources in the Euro space.

The choice of words was probably misused at some point in the communication chain.

They're using mostly LL01FE or LL17 now, both of which are < 3.5.

I would make the argument that lubrication requirements for the FCA engine family is far less demanding than any of the current BMW powertrains.

I believe Autologic is based in the UK which should be using LL04, or whatever the newest revision of that is.

I believe Autologic is based in the UK which should be using LL04, or whatever the newest revision of that is.
Opus IVS/Autologic has expanded into the US market over the last few years and has a very strong market share in the US.

Castrol is on sale at WM for $22.XX and Valvoline has a good $5 rebate and is also priced the same, so $17.XX when its all said and done.
I grabbed a few for future use. We've been running Castrol in the Stinger, which has been fine.
Havoline Pro DS Lifelong Full Synthetic is MS-6395 according to the PDS on the Chevron Site.

6 Qt Box is $19.65 at Walmart. It's not a 20,000 mi oil but if you are only going 10,000 mi it should be fine.
Correction it's $19.97 per 6qt smart change eco box of Havoline Pro-DS Full Synthetic motor oil as of 4-11-22 ;) lol

Correction it's $19.97 per 6qt smart change eco box of Havoline Pro-DS Full Synthetic motor oil as of 4-11-22 ;) lol
You sir, are incorrect.
HavCapture.JPG

I noticed today that my Wal-Mart has Castrol Edge Full Synthetic in 5W-20, and it also meets the MS-6395 Chrysler spec. So I was thinking of switching to it. Are any of you guys running this stuff? And what do you think of it
When I did my last OC on my super Hi Po Ford 2 liter, I had the same issue with my current oil choice being out of stock I was running the, then excellent, Valvoline Advanced and WM was out of the stuff. There was a load of Edge Black bottle. I had used that ages ago in a DOHC Suzuki Aerio 2.3 litre stick car - an affordable hot wagon back in the mid nineties. Worse stuff I ever ran, harsh, noisy, no power - like I put used parts washer fluid into the crankcase.
I said to myself, "this has been reformulated probably 5 times since then so give the sloppy Brits a shot again.

Installed it in the Ford . Same thing Terrible, noisy engine at RPM, harsh. nasty. I did a UOA on that sump also and posted it, but the engine was wearing in and was coming off a bad tank of gasoline a a few week prior to that oil install.

I say give it a shot to and tell us if you think its the worst stuff ever. Though I guess you are discussing Edge gold Bottle.

post script:

I Have Quaker State Full Synthetic 10w30 in there now, and it is phenomenal. Highly recommend. It must be the Shell GTL synthetic alkane - or something - as its advertised pour point is well below negative 50 Celsius.

I have never like the lighter Pennzoil Platinum at all when I ran that in 20 grade a few times on various engines
My car calls for a 20 but runs much better on THIS QS 30.

Back