Which 22lr Lever Action to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've got a few 22 rifles and am looking at getting another lever action one.

I'm interested in a Marlin 39a or a Henry Arms.

The Marlin is one of the best, but $370 is the best deal I can cut on one.

I've looked at the Henry and it's very well finished, excellent action and it's $190.

It is something I'll buy and keep for a long time, But just wondering if the Marlin is worth twice as much?
dunno.gif

It will be used for plinking and targets. No scope.
patriot.gif

Any comments?

Thanks in advance!
bowdown.gif

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Browning BL-22. The day I turned 12 my Dad to me to the gun shop and bought me one. It still remains my prized possesion.

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
Browning BL-22. The day I turned 12 my Dad to me to the gun shop and bought me one. It still remains my prized possesion.

Already got one!
grin.gif

It is a nice gun, a little smaller than I wish (I'm 6ft 6") but a great gun.

Want another Lever.

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Ive read good things about the Henry...

I love my marlin 38/357 leveraction though... and the 22 would surely be as good.

JMH

The Marlin, in one version or another, has been around for a *long* time. It's as close as you can come these days to getting a gun made "like they used to make 'em"- all steel & walnut.

The little Henrys are certainly serviceable, but remember that the receiver "shell" is not made of steel. This is a licensed version of a design that's been made since the 1950's or 1960's, I believe it was originally from Erma of Germany.

You didn't ask about it, but the Winchester 9422 is also a worthy rifle. I've had one for about a year now, it could be a good choice too for someone as tall as you.

My advice would be to see whatever models you're interested in "in person". Then see which one snaps to your shoulder like it was made for you, has sights that align under your eye instantly, & makes you *smile* when you pick it up. Find that one, buy it, & you'll never be sorry- no matter who made it.
grin.gif
For me "*the* .22" was the little Browning .22 Automatic Rifle(take down), bought it in 1969, still have it & it is *not* for sale.
wink.gif

Lots of variations were made over the years in the Marlins, you might look around for a good used one. Used or new, I'd choose the Marlin over the Henry- but your choice may vary.
cheers.gif

A couple of lever action .22s in our club.

The Winchester seems to be a pretty thing. The youngsters with them do very well.

The Ruger with the rotary mag shoots very well, and is easy to scope.

There's another that looks like the winchester but has a European name (which I forget), and is owned by an idiot (blows down the barrel between rounds to "clean it")...it shoots pretty good too.

Personally, the lever .22s don't fit me that well, I like the nice heavy European bolt actions (prolly because my first rifle was a nice, heavy, European bolt action .22, a Krico)

hi all,

I love my Marlin 1894 in the 357 and 44mag!
cheers.gif

(can't tell I like Lever Actions)
grin.gif

My .357 is an older one (built in 1994) so it's got the Microgroove bore (I think thats what it's called) and does not shoot lead real well.. Still ok, but not as good as jacketed ammo.

(I do reload so cast is something I like to use.. The milk jugs and pop cans don't care)
lol.gif

(i've toyed with selling it and getting a newer one so it's better set for Lead bullets)

The .44 mag is about 6 months old and if I point at it, it's gone. Any ammo, out to 100 yards.

I've looked at the Winchester but with them out of business, the prices around here have skyrocked. So none of those for me..
frown.gif

I've never seen a Ruger Lever action so I'll have to look at that since I have a 10/22 and so I have a few mags around here.

I went to the local big pawn/gun store here and handled a used Marlin (no new avail and $350), A Henry (used and $30 more than new one at Wal-Mart) and Winchester ($500 for a clean used one) and I'd have to say the Henry was very nice. If it was priced around $140 (New is $190) I prob would have picked it up right there.

The alloy receiver does not bother me too much since it's a 22lr.

Does everyone agree with the 22 it's not as big of a deal?

I take care of my firearms (they are transported in padded cases and stored in a safe) so getting thrown around is not going to happen...

(My uncle is a gunsmith and he has seen alloy receivers become cracked from putting the rifle behind the seat of a truck and it getting bounced around)
shocked.gif

They also had a Henry Pump 22lr and it was kinda cool. Anyone played with one of those?

Also, he said Taurus makes 22lr rifles. Any thoughts? I have a Taurus .38 6" pistol and it's a great gun!

THANKS for the replies!
worshippy.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Taurus makes a semi-clone of the old Winchester pump .22's with a real hammer, in long & short barrels, blue, stainless, & used to make a nickel-plated version. Now they even make some in the .17 calibers. I've never shot one, but most people who own &/or shoot one seem to like 'em.

Edit: Found their website- Wow, they even have a lever action now. They also make a version of one of the old Winchester .22 Automatics, the one that loads through the stock like a Browning & has the cocking knob at the rear of the rcvr. Here's a link to the Taurus rifles:
http://www.taurususa.com/products/products-rifles.cfm

[ May 14, 2006, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

Heh.

I've got a Marlin 39a. Was given to my granddad by my grandma as a wedding gift in '40.

Accurate as ****, must have nearly 80k rounds through it.

No experience with the others, mebbe they're good too. If I had to get another, well.... Marlin would get my cash.

Ended up getting a Henry Lever Action.

I'm impressed. Went out with my Dad who has a older Marlin 39a and we had a great time shooting both guns.

The action is smoother on the Henry and both are accurate if you do your job.
grin.gif

For a $196 dollar gun (the cheapest Marlin I could find was $379) the workmanship and materials used are excellent. The wood is perfect. Fit and finsh perfect.

(I will not ever buy another firearm from Wal-Mart ever again!
spaz.gif
(and I'm one of the biggest Wal-mart supporters
rolleyes.gif
)

It's a rifle that I'll keep forever and just a blast to shoot (like every other 22 I own)
cheers.gif

Thanks for everyone and their comments.
bowdown.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Congrats on your new .22 Henry!
worshippy.gif
Yup, I've heard that the actions are very smooth right out of the box.

I just hope you have easily accessible places to shoot- we used to be able to just go out in the woods & shoot, but things have gotten too @#%&*!@ civilized around here!

Shoot lotsa ammo, have lotsa fun. And watch out for those marauding jackalopes!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back