Where to purchase CV Axles

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years of cheap rebuilds on an 84 Rabbit in the early 2000's, I refuse to use anything but OEM.
Those units would fail within a year on the prairies. Sure there was a lifetime warranty, but when you consider the time and hassle associated with replacing the shaft...ugh!

If OEM can last that long, IMO there's no question which to choose.

...unless you enjoy replacing driveshafts as often as some people change their oil
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
After years of cheap rebuilds on an 84 Rabbit in the early 2000's, I refuse to use anything but OEM.
Those units would fail within a year on the prairies. Sure there was a lifetime warranty, but when you consider the time and hassle associated with replacing the shaft...ugh!If OEM can last that long, IMO there's no question which to choose....unless you enjoy replacing driveshafts as often as some people change their oil
smirk.gif

First of all, congrats for stubbornly keeping an '84 Rabbit road-worthy, not exactly a collector vehicle. I admire your spirit, genuinely.

Wonder why remans are awful? The Cardones are cheap on rockauto and all-new. A reman would have to have new races, balls, & cages to make me confident. Then, you'd have to have confidence in how they well they grease them up when done. And, the failure of Chinese parts factories to polish and surface harden parts correctly is what I'm guessing might doom their reliability.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I know a few people running Autozone CV shafts in their Jeeps with 35'' tires. One broke after ripping a boot and crossing through a stream. Really surprised with how well they work. I'm a fan of the autozone ones.

New or reman? What Jeeps? With the KJs, the new ones are usually too short which causes issues at full flex, especially with a lift. Just curious, maybe I'll have another source now because I don't particularly care for my local Napa but the local Autozone is nice.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I know a few people running Autozone CV shafts in their Jeeps with 35'' tires. One broke after ripping a boot and crossing through a stream. Really surprised with how well they work. I'm a fan of the autozone ones.

New or reman? What Jeeps? With the KJs, the new ones are usually too short which causes issues at full flex, especially with a lift. Just curious, maybe I'll have another source now because I don't particularly care for my local Napa but the local Autozone is nice.

Remans.

The CV shaft angle from the differentials to the hubs doesn't change on the solid axle jeeps, so we're lucky there. Same with length.

When we are at Rausch Creek last month, we were doing some decent rock crawling. And even spinning and getting the front end was hopping a few times which is really a killer of shafts.

I bought a new one from O'reilly's for my 92 Cavalier and had a shop install it. Car now has a vibration in the front end so I cannot recommend those.

wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back