Reman CV axle = good, new aftermarket = bad

Bumping this old thread since I just had this same experience with my 2006 Sonata. Installed a new Trakmotive aftermarket axle (LH) and it shuddered terribly when accelerating between 25 and 40mph. Also had a pronounced vibration at certain highway speeds. Took the car to a shop, and they said it was probably a defective new axle. I had them remove the axle and try another new aftermarket axle. Same exact problem! So they took it off, and tried a THIRD new aftermarket axle and guess what? Yep, same issue!

So here's what solved the problem...

Gave up on the garbage aftermarket axles, and tried a Cardone reman. And wouldn't ya know it ..... problem solved! Apparently, the good reman companies like Cardone use OEM cores only. I don't know if it's mostly Hyundais and Kias that are having this issue with aftermarket axles, but I have never seen this with any other make.

So, either 1) the aftermarket companies came to an idiotic consensus that Hyundai/Kia axles are the same as some other OEM's, or 2) some douchey company like Toyota gained a controlling interest in popular aftermarket parts manufacturers, so they could basically try and screw every Korean vehicle owner. Yeah it's most likely #1, since #2 is quite a stretch and strongly appeals to conspiracy theory (although nothing seems to surprise me these days).
Is Cardone Remans still considered good Axles in August 2023?

Normally I'd thumb my nose at seeing such an old thread revived, but this has a lot of relevance concerning my decision to rebuild my OEM axle as opposed to going swap-in new aftermarket or OEM remanufactured. relevant thread.

I've had terrible experience with aftermarket (new) and reman axles. My '96 Maxima was smooth as glass in the drivetrain department until I swapped in a Cardone reman (due to a leaking boot) that was on closeout at Rockauto. It's had vibration under heavy acceleration ever since, and it has the characteristic clunking when you're accelerating HARD while turning at lower speeds. This is despite completely intact rubber boots. I wish I had my old OEM axles back that I could rebuild.

fwd outer joints do wear more than rwd. Also, if they have been run for any amount of time with a torn boot and sand, mud, or water has gotten in, they're ruined.

Tell that to the joint on my friends car that has gone over 100k miles without a boot. He got a new joint years ago, but it still doesn't growl or vibrate so he hasn't gotten it fixed yet

This is true, better to re-boot used OEM Axles from donors that have intact OEM Boots. OEM Boots are expensive but last much longer.
This is the truth. My 93 Tercel's OEM boots lasted forever but I went with aftermarket axles once the boots finally tore and I didn't get to it in time before a bunch of grit got in there.

The boots on aftermarket rarely make it more than a year, maybe two at most.

This is the truth. My 93 Tercel's OEM boots lasted forever but I went with aftermarket axles once the boots finally tore and I didn't get to it in time before a bunch of grit got in there.

The boots on aftermarket rarely make it more than a year, maybe two at most.
I'm afraid I'm starting to see this, too. I put aftermarket on the front of a '98 CRV maybe 1.5 years ago and I swear last time I was looking at it one boot looked like it was just starting to develop small dry cracks.

It kinda sucks 'cause the owner is a broke college student. She couldn't afford quality replacements and I didn't feel like working for free to re-boot the originals. An inexpensive aftermarket straight-out-of-the-box is the fastest, cheapest route.....but I guess it's ultimately not worth it.

Back