Where to buy an AK-47 and Mini Draco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Depends on the country where it was manufactured in.

Try and find one with a milled and not a stamped receiver is a good first step.

Stamped receivers are just fine, especially if they're the thicker 1.5-1.6mm ones.

Try to find a Chinese made rifle like a MAK-90 or a Poly Technologies rifle, they're very high quality.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Depends on the country where it was manufactured in.

Try and find one with a milled and not a stamped receiver is a good first step.

Stamped receivers are just fine, especially if they're the thicker 1.5-1.6mm ones.

Try to find a Chinese made rifle like a MAK-90 or a Poly Technologies rifle, they're very high quality.

Or a Vepr. Mine will put 3 shots in 1" or less groups all day long. Stamped receivers are fine. Russians moved to the stamped receivers with AKM version many years ago (What is called AK-47 in the West is actually AKM). Full auto RPK and RPK-74 use stamped receivers. Russians found out that stamped receivers could handle sustained recoil better than milled.

Pablo-get a Russian-made Saiga (currently imported), swap 5 parts to make it compliant (or buy one already converted by a gunsmith), and you'll have a great gun.

MAK-90 and Polytech are great, but they will cost you, since they are no longer imported.

Anything made by Century is cobbled from imported and domestic leftover parts.

Long history with this company, shoddy workmanship etc. Google it.

not recommended

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Why buy a commie gun?

Nearly Seattle.

You want to blend in?
laugh.gif

Why are the junky AK-47's so much money. Up close they look like real garbage. $550-$700 - Huh??

Junky looking AK-47? It must be a WASR-10. They actually work better than they look. At least mine does.

They go for $400-450 around here with all the accessories.

A good quality AK is a really nice gun . The only thing that could be called lacking on them about them is the sights. I had a Norinco in the late 80s as a range toy and it went through cases of Chinese ammo with out a hickup or cleaning . AKs are nice. Too bad I sold it.

As I understand it, the Russians actually designed the original AK47 with a stamped receiver but had problems initially with welding the guide rails for the bolt carrier and had to go with a milled receiver. They later perfected the manufacturing of the stamped receiver and produced the AKM.

Look for a factory built, stamped receiver AKM rifle. Chinese (Norinco) is your best bet if you want high quality at a reasonable price. There are a few on Gunbroker right now that are quite reasonable. If you are patient, you can find a fixed stock version for under $1000.

The Romanian WASRs from Century Arms can be great shooters but the fit and finish is not great. Keep in mind that these are imported as low capacity sporting rifles and then made into high capacity, 922R compliant models by Century - not a pure factory built rifle.

Century quality control is horrible so make sure you buy it new from someone that has good customer service as there is a good chance you'll have to send it back to be fixed/replaced, particularly if you are new to the platform and don't know what to look out for before purchasing. The good news is that Century is so used to dealing with returns that they rarely ask questions and are very good about replacing crooked or otherwise buggered up rifles!

You can also find affordable AKMs that are built from de-milled parts kits on US receivers (and other US parts). If you can find a reputable builder, you can get these for about the same price as Century guns but with a little higher quality.

I had a local builder put these Romanian AIMs together from some nice Romanian Civil Guarda parts kits. He picked the kits with the nicest finish and left it original. I got a very good price on a trio.

P1010014.jpg

By the way, those AK pistols are pointless, IMO. Too big and heavy for a pistol. Needs a stock.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Anything made by Century is cobbled from imported and domestic leftover parts.

Long history with this company, shoddy workmanship etc. Google it.

not recommended

That's what I've heard about them, too.

AK's r not designed to be pretty, there made to work every time.
If you want pretty than buy an AR, but u may lack the ability of it working like it should !

I own 5 AK's and 2 AR's and if push comes to shove I would grab the ugly AK !!!!

The best deal for an AK is the SAR or WASR-10, they are cheap in price, the furniture may not match but they work great and they have probably the most aftermarket or accessory support in the industry.

These are Romanians.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
If you want pretty than buy an AR, but u may lack the ability of it working like it should !

I own 5 AK's and 2 AR's and if push comes to shove I would grab the ugly AK !!!!

The best deal for an AK is the SAR or WASR-10, they are cheap in price, the furniture may not match but they work great and they have probably the most aftermarket or accessory support in the industry.

These are Romanians.

Are these painted? Prior to seeing the Century Arms AK-s, I had never imagined people would sell a (poorly) painted AK.

Why do you say this? Because the ave Joe doesn't have roll pin punches and the necessary level of mechanical aptitude?

Why do you say this? Because the ave Joe doesn't have roll pin punches and the necessary level of mechanical aptitude?

I personally am not "your ave joe" as far as guns go, I say this cuz compared to the AK platform AR's are not worth mentioning in a conversation discussing reliability.
Sorry but I don't want to have to precisely clean my "asualt" weapon after every 100 rnds in order for it to work all the time. It speaks volumes when a patent is issued in 1943 for a weapon and has not changed since, whereas the latter cuased how many US solders deaths in nam, until they figured out there weapons had corrosian issues, and needed to be cleaned daily....so there fix was a cleaning kit and chrome lined barrels (wonder where that idea came from hmmm Mikhal Kalishnakov...maybe)and a "forward assist" which was and is a band-aid for there failure to lock a round into the chamber....Eugene Stoner should hav been prosacuted for war crimes against US solders.

All this being said they run cooler and are more accurate at distance than AK, but thats all they got going for them.

I've owned 4 AR's, 1 pistol and the other 3 rifles,
My current AR's are a DPMS arms and a Bushmaster

Last edited:
I'm not sure what exactly the finish is... It does not scratch like paint, and when I modify or work on mine I use a Birchwood-Casey bluing repair for touch up
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

These are Romanians.

Are these painted? Prior to seeing the Century Arms AK-s, I had never imagined people would sell a (poorly) painted AK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back