Where to bring BMW for transmission service?

Buy 2 pair of Jackpoint jack stands and do the job yourself. They are not cheap, but work very well. Website may show out of stock, but pick up phone and call. And if you plan to keep BMW, you will use them by performing self service rather than farming it out.
my plan is just to do transmission and transfer case without jack. i can just barely reach it. I’ve already fixed a lot of things on it

I don't know of a transfer case that is Not simple. Drain hole on bottom/fill hole on top. $500 is ridiculous.

Yeah, I don't have the ZF. I wish I did. I forgot to include in post. I called a BMW shop and they said $660 for transmission and $300 for transfer case.

I'm not sure what a reasonable price is.
If you have the GM unit, Dex-VI or even the forum favorite MaxLife will work(but a BMW shop will scoff at Walmart-class fluids and push Motul/Liqui Moly/Pentosin/Red Line on you). The t-case takes a different fluid, from my understanding a special Shell TF0870 fluid.

Many shops work off flat-rate book time, but from Mitchell info. So take that and multiply against local labor rates.

If you really wanted to, a quick lube can do a fluid exchange - the BMW GM Strasborg gearbox was also used in many Cadillacs. But be leery of Chinese filters and flushing chemicals - only pure ATF. I think it’s the GM 6L45/50 in your X5, GM also used it in the Cadillac CTS and the Camaro V6/I4 TGDI.

I don't know of a transfer case that is Not simple. Drain hole on bottom/fill hole on top. $500 is ridiculous.
It's a BMW dealer + parts so there's a premium there (labor rate and "OEM" parts). Then if you're going to a dealer for simple, basic maintenance, you pay their rates. If everyone is turning down that service due to cost, they'd lower it. I'm guessing people pay it....

If you have the GM unit, Dex-VI or even the forum favorite MaxLife will work(but a BMW shop will scoff at Walmart-class fluids and push Motul/Liqui Moly/Pentosin/Red Line on you). The t-case takes a different fluid, from my understanding a special Shell TF0870 fluid.

Many shops work off flat-rate book time, but from Mitchell info. So take that and multiply against local labor rates.

If you really wanted to, a quick lube can do a fluid exchange - the BMW GM Strasborg gearbox was also used in many Cadillacs. But be leery of Chinese filters and flushing chemicals - only pure ATF. I think it’s the GM 6L45/50 in your X5, GM also used it in the Cadillac CTS and the Camaro V6/I4 TGDI.
I’m going to give jiffy lube a call tomorrow and see how much they charge for fluid and filter replacement and if they used customer supplied parts. If so, I could have them change filter and fluid and do a fee drain and fills at home. I’m not sure how easy it is to get transmission pan off

It's a BMW dealer + parts so there's a premium there (labor rate and "OEM" parts). Then if you're going to a dealer for simple, basic maintenance, you pay their rates. If everyone is turning down that service due to cost, they'd lower it. I'm guessing people pay it....
After this current oil change I may be going back to the dealer where I can at least get it done in an hour or so rather than the Indys telling me drop off in the morning and they'll call me later in the afternoon when it's ready.

It's not a bad job, and working under a car on jack stands is not so bad. If you are afraid of it falling, leave the jack under one of the jacking points, and put some of the wheels under the car.

This job is fairly easy to do yourself, watching youtube videos beforehand gives you an idea of what you are in for. Just make sure the car is level.

Personally, the dealer prices are outrageous, but if I had to have someone else do it I'd pay them before letting Jiffy Lube or some other quick lube touch my transmission. Those places all hire the cheapest guys off the street they can find, and can barely figure out oil changes.

Looking for somewhere to bring a 2011 BMW 328I X-Drive for a transmission fluid change and filter change.

I was going to do it myself, but I'd prefer not to be under the car on 4 jack stands. I'm not putting a lift in. I would like to gain some more experience working on cars, before I try something this complicated.

I don't really want to bring it to a Valvoline or any quick lube. But, I don't want to pay a crazy amount.

I'll call some places tomorrow, but looking for suggestions.

I'll also see how expensive it is for a transfer case fluid change.

Do shops still let you bring in your own supplies? I'd consider doing that if they want to charge a crazy price for parts.

Thanks, all
A local BMW independent repair shop that has a good reputation.

It's is the shop owner's discretion about supplying parts. If you bring parts, and it turns out to be defective, they don't want to deal with the hassle of a pissed off customer. They supply parts, which then they make a little profit off of, which also pays for a warranty, so in the event something is defective, they will warranty the parts and labor themselves.

Looking for somewhere to bring a 2011 BMW 328I X-Drive for a transmission fluid change and filter change.

I was going to do it myself, but I'd prefer not to be under the car on 4 jack stands. I'm not putting a lift in. I would like to gain some more experience working on cars, before I try something this complicated.

I don't really want to bring it to a Valvoline or any quick lube. But, I don't want to pay a crazy amount.

I'll call some places tomorrow, but looking for suggestions.

I'll also see how expensive it is for a transfer case fluid change.

Do shops still let you bring in your own supplies? I'd consider doing that if they want to charge a crazy price for parts.

Thanks, all
www.bimrs.org

I'll probably just try to DIY the transmission and transfer case. Places are charging $1000 -1500 for transmission and transfer case. Not worth if for me

I’d take it to an indy with the right fluid. Or else put it up on some wood blocks.. like solidly layered, no gaps or airspace. I know that’s a lot of height.

In a few weeks, I'm going to try to do transfer case and transmission fluid, not filter for now. I know it should really be replaced. Maybe another time. I'll also do oil and filter change, brake flush, and new air filter. Thanks for the suggestions.

In a few weeks, I'm going to try to do transfer case and transmission fluid, not filter for now. I know it should really be replaced. Maybe another time. I'll also do oil and filter change, brake flush, and new air filter. Thanks for the suggestions.
Do filter. Do it right.
Get ESCO jack stands, they are very high and sturdy. Invest in a good lift jack like Daytona low profile.
You could go 4 Rhino ramps too.

You'll need a decent small torque wrench as the pan bolts are only 8NM for the plastic pan and 10NM for metal pan. (we're talking 7 to 9 ft-lbs here).
Also a cooking thermometer will work for taking the fluid temp at the fill plug hole. I use an infrared thermometer on the X3 because I have the GM with metal pan (and for the MB). I use the meat thermometer on #1 girl's 2008 328i with the ZF plastic pan.
The temp isn't all that difficult or critical as it's a wide range of 30C to 50C.

Do filter. Do it right.
Get ESCO jack stands, they are very high and sturdy. Invest in a good lift jack like Daytona low profile.
You could go 4 Rhino ramps too.
What's the technical reason why to replace the filter? I thought the magnet collected the metal shavings? Not trying to sound dumb, I just don't know exactly how the filter works. Should I replace the filter on the first drain and fill? Or after a drain and fill?

Back