Where to bring BMW for transmission service?

Looking for somewhere to bring a 2011 BMW 328I X-Drive for a transmission fluid change and filter change.

I was going to do it myself, but I'd prefer not to be under the car on 4 jack stands. I'm not putting a lift in. I would like to gain some more experience working on cars, before I try something this complicated.

I don't really want to bring it to a Valvoline or any quick lube. But, I don't want to pay a crazy amount.

I'll call some places tomorrow, but looking for suggestions.

I'll also see how expensive it is for a transfer case fluid change.

Do shops still let you bring in your own supplies? I'd consider doing that if they want to charge a crazy price for parts.

Thanks, all

Looking for somewhere to bring a 2011 BMW 328I X-Drive for a transmission fluid change and filter change.

I was going to do it myself, but I'd prefer not to be under the car on 4 jack stands. I'm not putting a lift in. I would like to gain some more experience working on cars, before I try something this complicated.

I don't really want to bring it to a Valvoline or any quick lube. But, I don't want to pay a crazy amount.

Do shops still let you bring in your own supplies? I'd consider doing that if they want to charge a crazy price for parts.

Thanks, all
Most shops don’t want customers providing the parts and fluids they install/use and will refuse to do the service if the customer insists on providing them.

You can try, but don’t be surprised if they insist on using their own parts/fluids to do the service.

You’re going to get a lot of responses here. How many miles on it? The legend is that bmw transmissions are built and filled in a white glove, clean room operation and therefore a lot of places, including dealerships, will refuse to touch them for this service. And to their point, I personally know if an e36 m3 with 260k on the original fluid, still getting flogged daily and it doesn’t miss a beat. I also know folks who do change the fluid themselves and just keep going, no issue. A lot of places won’t do it over 100k miles for fear that if something happens, they will be blamed for it.

Since we're naming shops I'll throw one into the mix - Munich West in Atlanta. They're known to keep a Bavarian beer or two in the coke machine if you know which selection to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
but I'd prefer not to be under the car on 4 jack stands. I'm not putting a lift in. I would like to gain some more experience working on cars
Working on cars and being under cars kinda goes hand in hand

Heard nothing but good things about these guys: https://www.foreignx.com/

How far are you willing to drive though ?

Have you even priced a BMW dealership?
Quality parts and, hopefully, knowledgeable techs are priceless.
Penny wise...................

Working on cars and being under cars kinda goes hand in hand

Heard nothing but good things about these guys: https://www.foreignx.com/

How far are you willing to drive though ?
Hey, thanks. That is only about 15 mins from me. I guess I forgot about including my location.

I'll give them a call and see how much they charge.

I think I could do the service with the car still on the ground, but it might be tight.

Thanks

BIMRS.org

Really any BMW Indy shop is a good candidate. These ZF units have been around for a long time. Some shops will let you bring your own supplies some not. IMO if you're not going to bring ZF fluid then let the shop source the parts.

I had an Indy (West Atlanta) do mine and they didn't balk at my bringing ZF fluid and pan.

BIMRS.org

Really any BMW Indy shop is a good candidate. These ZF units have been around for a long time. Some shops will let you bring your own supplies some not. IMO if you're not going to bring ZF fluid then let the shop source the parts.

I had an Indy (West Atlanta) do mine in 2020 for obvious reasons and they didn't balk at my bringing ZF fluid and pan.
Yeah, I don't have the ZF. I wish I did. I forgot to include in post. I called a BMW shop and they said $660 for transmission and $300 for transfer case.

I'm not sure what a reasonable price is.

Yeah, I don't have the ZF. I wish I did. I forgot to include in post. I called a BMW shop and they said $660 for transmission and $300 for transfer case.

I'm not sure what a reasonable price is.
Well the 2011 is a ZF6HP so Mercon SP would be fine. Your quote on the trans that's a little less than what I paid and I felt I overpaid.

Thanks, all
Seems like you enjoy driving a BMW-but want to pay service rates for a Hyundai. BTW-I took my Hyundai Santa Fe XL to a local tire shop that is also a Valvoline Lube Place. The fluid was so bad-they flushed it twice without any additional charges. They used Maxlife. The total charge was a little over $200.00 with taxes. My Son recently acquired a 20 year old-BMW 5 series and is going through what you are going experiencing. You got to decide if you want to keep the vehicle or buy a penalty box-since that is what you want to pay for when it comes to service

Buy 2 pair of Jackpoint jack stands and do the job yourself. They are not cheap, but work very well. Website may show out of stock, but pick up phone and call. And if you plan to keep BMW, you will use them by performing self service rather than farming it out.

Back