Where is the Electricity going to come to charge EVs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can just envision it now. Someone pulls up to a charger to charge up and pays for the electricity with their device. Then they look up at the solar panels and complain that it’s highway robbery since the electricity is free from the sun.

Never mind how it all got there to begin with.
I don't think there's any risk of that. The number of solar panels necessary to run a fast charge station during the day is massive, lol.

Here is a link that discusses the fact that renewables need cheap energy prices and low cost of capital to keep costs down. In fact, much of the reduction in solar costs was due to the fact that the carbon intensive fuels (I'm talking to you China) used in manufacturing panels was low and the cost of capital was very low. With increasing costs ( LNG just did a 80% jump and coal is up too) and increasing interest rates (we just started with a recent 3/4 % rise) its possible that the costs of solar will plateau and start to rise. Enjoy.

By the way. Here is the traded price of thermal coal.

B75F312A-3B9C-47DE-AF06-88B7DF4E7CF3.png

Here is a link that discusses the fact that renewables need cheap energy prices and low cost of capital to keep costs down. In fact, much of the reduction in solar costs was due to the fact that the carbon intensive fuels (I'm talking to you China) used in manufacturing panels was low and the cost of capital was very low. With increasing costs ( LNG just did a 80% jump and coal is up too) and increasing interest rates (we just started with a recent 3/4 % rise) its possible that the costs of solar will plateau and start to rise. Enjoy.

What you are suggesting is true, material costs are generally the biggest cost (and headache) in manufacturing.
Prices have come down since my solar project; a big part of that is competition and economies of scale.

But absolutely, rising material costs will either cut into margins, raise prices or both.

Wind is already having that problem (along with competition with China) and many of the big names are struggling. We've also seen a few big names exit the solar business:

The Strathmore Solar project east of Calgary started generating. It cost $42 million USD equivalent and has a name plate of 40 MW. I plan to keep a tab on this one. It’s located at 51 degrees N latitude. This is the second plant I’ve seen costing about a million dollars per Megwatt or a thousand dollars per Kw of nameplate capacity (or a buck a watt).

Got to be careful comparing schedulable and renewable dollars per KW...a KW rated thermal can produce 24KWh/day...solar and wind, 6-8 KWh/day.

Electricity generated by the Hoover dam, and other hydro-electric generators out west, are going to be in deep trouble more sooner than later. Severe drought conditions will be causing those plants to shut down if the reservoir levels continue to drop. Parts of Arizona, Nevada, and Utah may go dark. I'd bet they would rather have their AC working in summer, than their electric car charged.,,

Electricity generated by the Hoover dam, and other hydro-electric generators out west, are going to be in deep trouble more sooner than later. Severe drought conditions will be causing those plants to shut down if the reservoir levels continue to drop. Parts of Arizona, Nevada, and Utah may go dark. I'd bet they would rather have their AC working in summer, than their electric car charged.,,

Hoover Dam output.JPG

Looks like pumping water (water district) really use a majority of the power. Wonder how much of the pumping can be done off peak and how much must be done during peak hours.

Yes, hydro can be very seasonal. We had one of the worst years for hydro last year on record here in Ontario. Output year-over-year was down about 3TWh, but that doesn't capture the lack of availability through the high demand summer months where we leaned more heavily on gas both due to nuclear refurbishment outages and the lack of hydro. Wind was AWOL, as usual, so it was no help. Solar output was also down, which was interesting.

Expect to see many, many more of these....using captive water not run of river...

Expect to see many, many more of these....using captive water not run of river...

I'm sure that pumped water storage was brought up earlier in this topic. But of course it would require a setup where there can be storage reservoirs at two different levels in close proximity to each other. I was thinking about all the potential losses, but it may be necessary if there's enough fossil fuel capacity going offline when it's replaced by solar.

“Renewable electricity provided just shy of 100% of California's electricity demand on Saturday, a record-breaker, officials said, much of it from large amounts of solar power now produced along Interstate 10, an hour east of the Coachella Valley.”

“energy demand statewide hit 18,672 megawatts at 2:45 p.m., "and at 2:50, we reached 99.87% of load served by all renewables, which broke the previous record ... of 97.58%," said Anna Gonzales, spokeswoman for California Independent System Operator, or CAISO”

“Two thirds of the 18,000 megawatts needed was provided by solar power loaded into the energy grid — or 12,391 megawatts. The rest came from wind, geothermal and other renewable sources.“

Yes, hydro can be very seasonal. We had one of the worst years for hydro last year on record here in Ontario. Output year-over-year was down about 3TWh, but that doesn't capture the lack of availability through the high demand summer months where we leaned more heavily on gas both due to nuclear refurbishment outages and the lack of hydro. Wind was AWOL, as usual, so it was no help. Solar output was also down, which was interesting.
I personally believe we should build solar to cover AC need, maybe a bit on top of that for variable load that's price sensitive (data center low cost tier processing, scrap metal processing, aluminum smelting).

To be fair, any sort of "energy harvesting" from nature will have variation due to seasons, weather, politics, even oil and gas can get disrupted due to incidents in wells and pipelines. Nuke is probably the only low probability one if managed correctly, but then again Fukushima shows it can also be problematic due to weather.

Our lifestyle needs to find way to adapt usage based on scheduling and price, and to do that we need storage, and to store something efficiently you want to avoid round trip, and store them for use that you have to store them to begin with anyways. That means pumping water, computing problems that's price and energy sensitive, running a car on batteries and charge them at cheap time, pre-cooling AC at night (ice based), mid night laundry drying, chemical processing at night, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back