Where is the Electricity going to come to charge EVs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know your "expertise" is in power/technology and your posts are refreshing and informative which you just outlined some more informative information in 1 and 2 above. Common sense even before BITOG in my life I was pro nuclear energy.

Energy is a subject that always interests me but more so lately because of the agenda you refer to in your last paragraph. Sometimes I may not be as factual vs just common sense on some subjects but by nature I am a skeptic until something is proven to me. It just always amazed me, no matter the subject, how the public can be sold on something by the media and an agenda. In the last decade its become even worse because of social media.

Here is an example - (not energy related but an example of social media) How did a Stanford University pretty and blond girl who dropped out end up as the CEO of a company she founded that ultimately started at a valuation of $0 end up worth 9.5 billion dollars on a "vision" she had for simplified blood testing with one drop of blood?

On a machine that no one EVER saw work, yet, Charles Schultz, Henry Kissinger and other powerful people ended up on the board of this company. Girl was written up with praise in EVERY Wall Street publication, Forbes ect ect... TV interviews of woman in power, even met in the OBAMA White House! All around the globe woman groups were looking up to her.

WALGREENS Pharmacy bypassed their OWN INTERNAL control to be the first to get her blood testing device even though they were never given access to see it work! *LOL*
Well... this is so current she was just convicted in Jan 2022, still awaiting sentencing, 800 employees let go for a company that never had a working machine! It was all fraud and they ran over a million tests of Walgreen customers on altered blood samples on another company machines undercover. (Siemens) (to much to explain here)

Fascinating LIMITED true series on Hulu called "The Dropout" real names, real people. I mean Schultz who she convinced to be on her board was the former Treasurer of the United States of America ! for a company that never had a working product!
Her name was Elizabeth_Holmes click the name, even Rudolph Murdock invested in her company!
Wait, life before BITOG? What? LOL.

Then back to life before the Internet.....

I added my levity, I again agree with your posts.

Siemens made the RAM in my computers............

Electric motor propelled airplanes already exist, flying at super sonic speed is a waste, because it is a lot better to fly point to point slightly slower and cheaper.

The future of electric airplane is drone delivery, and people will fly point to point only as needed and not for work as much as before (now that we have work from home and remote desktop, remote machine control, etc).

Future of jet fuel airplanes are to fly further at slower speed, point to point, not super sonic, it is all about fuel economy.
No.

Flying slower simply doesn’t work.

It burns MORE FUEL because of wind. You have to fly faster when going into the wind, or the plane will burn more fuel over the same journey.

Lower the cruise altitude to get out of the wind and, yep, you will burn MORE FUEL at lower altitudes.

Boeing built the 787 to be the most efficient passenger airplane ever. New systems architecture, composite construction, new engines.

Cruise speed: .85 IMN

Faster than just about any widely used commercial jet airplane (747 is slightly faster).

Because the most efficient flight requires an altitude where there is wind, and going faster mitigates that wind impact.

Airplanes aren’t anything like cars, and simple solutions, are usually untenable fantasies.

Last edited:
Wait, life before BITOG? What? LOL.

Then back to life before the Internet.....

I added my levity, I again agree with your posts.

Siemens made the RAM in my computers............

Like this?

s-l400.jpg

And before it became Infineon.

71fBe-zd1WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And finally Qimonda before going belly up.

2099001618.jpg

and before that Hitachi, Mitsubishi, NEC, Intel....

I was really getting at the unbroken line when Siemens divested themselves of their electronics business into Infineon, and then a further spinoff of Qimonda. But the DRAM business went in all those splits. Or just names that changed, like Hyundai Electronics became Hynix and then SK Hynix.

Heck - there are a ton of old DRAM suppliers that are out of the business, including IBM, Fujitsu, Intel, Mosel Vitelic, Elpida, Texas Instruments, etc.

I was really getting at the unbroken line when Siemens divested themselves of their electronics business into Infineon, and then a further spinoff of Qimonda. But the DRAM business went in all those splits. Or just names that changed, like Hyundai Electronics became Hynix and then SK Hynix.

Heck - there are a ton of old DRAM suppliers that are out of the business, including IBM, Fujitsu, Intel, Mosel Vitelic, Elpida, Texas Instruments, etc.
Samsung isn't 🙂

Now, Samsung is a Korean company, very so-so until Galaxy phones . Companies like Matsushita electric (Panasonic, Technics) and Mitsubishi Electric (Nikon is tied up with one of these, not entirely sure) - point is, all mechaconglomerates, like Madrigal Electric fictitious company on Breaking Bad. Mitsubishi Electric makes elevators and escalators, like Otis or Thyssen-Krupp, you know if you look at the power panel sometimes.. Samsung can make you a military tank.

Surely, some of these companies make generators or are somehow involved in the manufacture of reactors, wind turbines, etc. They do it all...

No.

Flying slower simply doesn’t work.

It burns MORE FUEL because of wind. You have to fly faster when going into the wind, or the plane burn more fuel over the same journey.

Lower the cruise altitude to get out of the wind and, yep, you will burn MORE FUEL at lower altitudes.

Boeing built the 787 to be the most efficient passenger airplane ever. New systems architecture, composition construction, new engines.

Cruise speed: .85 IMN

Faster than just about any widely used commercial jet airplane (747 is slightly faster).

Because the most efficient flight requires an altitude where there is wind, and going faster mitigates that wind impact.

Airplanes aren’t anything like cars, and simple solutions, are usually untenable fantasies.
Any data on flying in the ground effect zone? Do the efficiency curves line up for a low and slow machine to be more fuel efficient than an airliner?
Seems this beast only has comparable load capacity to a C17 load master, despite not being able to actually fly, and needing twice as much thrust, but maybe most of that is needed to get out of water and they shut half them down? Then there's hybrid lighter than air airplanes, and blimps...

I know your "expertise" is in power/technology and your posts are refreshing and informative which you just outlined some more informative information in 1 and 2 above. Common sense even before BITOG in my life I was pro nuclear energy.

Energy is a subject that always interests me but more so lately because of the agenda you refer to in your last paragraph. Sometimes I may not be as factual vs just common sense on some subjects but by nature I am a skeptic until something is proven to me. It just always amazed me, no matter the subject, how the public can be sold on something by the media and an agenda. In the last decade its become even worse because of social media.

Here is an example - (not energy related but an example of social media) How did a Stanford University pretty and blond girl who dropped out end up as the CEO of a company she founded that ultimately started at a valuation of $0 end up worth 9.5 billion dollars on a "vision" she had for simplified blood testing with one drop of blood?

On a machine that no one EVER saw work, yet, Charles Schultz, Henry Kissinger and other powerful people ended up on the board of this company. Girl was written up with praise in EVERY Wall Street publication, Forbes ect ect... TV interviews of woman in power, even met in the OBAMA White House! All around the globe woman groups were looking up to her.

WALGREENS Pharmacy bypassed their OWN INTERNAL control to be the first to get her blood testing device even though they were never given access to see it work! *LOL*
Well... this is so current she was just convicted in Jan 2022, still awaiting sentencing, 800 employees let go for a company that never had a working machine! It was all fraud and they ran over a million tests of Walgreen customers on altered blood samples on another company machines undercover. (Siemens) (to much to explain here)

Fascinating LIMITED true series on Hulu called "The Dropout" real names, real people. I mean Schultz who she convinced to be on her board was the former Treasurer of the United States of America ! for a company that never had a working product!
Her name was Elizabeth_Holmes click the name, even Rudolph Murdock invested in her company!
I have been by the Theranos buildings on Page Mill Road a million times. Pretty nice real estate...
Holmes is the next Steve Jobs!

I have been by the Theranos buildings on Page Mill Road a million times. Pretty nice real estate...
Holmes is the next Steve Jobs!

I remember meeting someone at a school event. Found out that he joined Theranos as a recruiter - after the WSJ article on them. I was kind of wondering why, but I don't think he lasted a year and having that on his resume wasn't so bad.

As for mentions of Elizabeth Holmes, she's not really blonde. And that baritone isn't real.

It's not an all or nothing deal where all internal combustion is dead. There will still be a place for it, but certainly it's not a bad thing to bring in more sources of electricity other than just burning fuels.

As for powering jets, a more likely thing would be biofuels, which are being used right now in jets. They're supposedly really in demand because they bring down emissions even more than they're used - like a 25% blend might cut certain emissions in half. I know someone who worked at a company that was working on engineering yeast to turn sugar cane into biodiesel, although that seems to have fallen apart. They were also working on tweaking the process to make jet fuel.
Yes, that's why I mentioned Synfuels at the beginning, as I think synthetic hydrocarbons, particularly if we can produce them using the byproducts of CCS, would be an effective way to get around the emissions problem while still being able to fly like we do. I think marine transport should just be converted to nuclear, we already know that works.

I remember meeting someone at a school event. Found out that he joined Theranos as a recruiter - after the WSJ article on them. I was kind of wondering why, but I don't think he lasted a year and having that on his resume wasn't so bad.

As for mentions of Elizabeth Holmes, she's not really blonde. And that baritone isn't real.

Nothing about Elizabeth Holmes is real except the fact that she did talk with a baritone voice and to dye her hair blonde. If you do a search of her name you’ll see many pictures of her with blonde hair and her family swears her deep voice is real but other speculate she made her voice Steve because it was a man’s world that she was competing in.
Good point with the YouTube video though.

But one thing for sure she was a fraud through and through and a good one!
The only victims here were patrons of Walgreens and of course the employees.

Any data on flying in the ground effect zone? Do the efficiency curves line up for a low and slow machine to be more fuel efficient than an airliner?
Seems this beast only has comparable load capacity to a C17 load master, despite not being able to actually fly, and needing twice as much thrust, but maybe most of that is needed to get out of water and they shut half them down? Then there's hybrid lighter than air airplanes, and blimps...
Flying in ground effect can reduce induced drag by a huge amount. 25-50%

But that’s in comparison with flying at low altitude.

Where total drag is very high and engines are very inefficient.

For some airliner engines, fuel flow at idle on the ground is only slightly less than the fuel flow at cruise altitude and speed.

So, the Ekranoplan guzzles fuel at low altitude, because the engines are horribly inefficient at low altitude, and speed is limited by high parasitic drag in the thick air, but it wasn’t built for economy, it was built for high payload at medium speed. Much faster than a boat that would be needed to get the missiles to the target area.

Further, even if you could save fuel flying in ground effect, it doesn’t work well in rough seas, is impossible over rough terrain, leaves you down low where weather is more of a factor, and where radar doesn’t work well in resolving weather.

Great idea to cover a big lake, if you’re willing to pay the fuel penalty.

Not very practical for most routes.

Nothing about Elizabeth Holmes is real except the fact that she did talk with a baritone voice and to dye her hair blonde. If you do a search of her name you’ll see many pictures of her with blonde hair and her family swears her deep voice is real but other speculate she made her voice Steve because it was a man’s world that she was competing in.

Investors too. But most were rich and just looking to get richer. She was selling pre-IPO shares for money. Not sure how she managed to marry someone from a rich family. I would have thought that they would be scared off.

I understand Ms. Holmes also wore black turtlenecks to add to her Jobs personna.
Hard to say how much she believed in her blood test machine; that her engineers would get it right soon enough, or she was just a darn good hustler. Probably some of both but ultimately she was a crook playing with people's lives.

Samsung isn't 🙂

Now, Samsung is a Korean company, very so-so until Galaxy phones . Companies like Matsushita electric (Panasonic, Technics) and Mitsubishi Electric (Nikon is tied up with one of these, not entirely sure) - point is, all mechaconglomerates, like Madrigal Electric fictitious company on Breaking Bad. Mitsubishi Electric makes elevators and escalators, like Otis or Thyssen-Krupp, you know if you look at the power panel sometimes.. Samsung can make you a military tank.

Surely, some of these companies make generators or are somehow involved in the manufacture of reactors, wind turbines, etc. They do it all...

Mitsubishi does everything. You name it, they do it. There is a good chance that you used something today that Mitsubishi is involved in.

Mitsubishi does everything. You name it, they do it. There is a good chance that you used something today that Mitsubishi is involved in.

But it's not one company. It's a keiretsu, or a organized group of affiliated companies that often use the same name.

8eeee5_e24d5718bd3e483d916f0e2e89e94e25~mv2.jpg

Strangely enough, Honda is loosely affiliated with the Mitsubishi keiretsu because they do a lot of their banking and financing through their financial affiliate.

But it's not one company. It's a keiretsu, or a organized group of affiliated companies that often use the same name.

Strangely enough, Honda is loosely affiliated with the Mitsubishi keiretsu because they do a lot of their banking and financing through their financial affiliate.

Yep and it goes beyond that even. If you fly on a newer Boeing 787 or 777 , Mitsubishi had a hand in building those.

They also do rockets and satellites.

And then there is Fuji Heavy Industries..

I now know the proper name for how they group their company structure/group!

I see containers from NYK everyday.

And I used to sell Kirin beer.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back