Where is the Electricity going to come to charge EVs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then there is Fuji Heavy Industries..

I now know the proper name for how they group their company structure/group!

I see containers from NYK everyday.

And I used to sell Kirin beer.....

In South Korea they have a similar "chaebol" system, although that has a lot of family influences where it seems that leadership is passed down to younger family members. Korean Air broke off from its tradition of family-run leadership after that one exec who was the daughter of the CEO struck a flight attendant and served prison time.

In South Korea they have a similar "chaebol" system, although that has a lot of family influences where it seems that leadership is passed down to younger family members. Korean Air broke off from its tradition of family-run leadership after that one exec who was the daughter of the CEO struck a flight attendant and served prison time.
Was it a slap lol?

Was it a slap lol?

Might have been. You don't recall the "Nut Rage" incident, aka Nutgate? It was Hyun-ah "Heather" Cho, who was a senior VP and apparently the head of inflight service for Korean Air. It was really bizarre too, as she was flying 1st class from JFK and was upset that she was served macadamia nuts in a bag rather than what she thought was the correct procedure, which was to take them out of the bag and serve them on a porcelain plate. Apparently this was such an insult to her that she whacked the (male) flight attendant (looked it up and the allegation is that she struck his hand with a tablet computing device - maybe a Samsung?) and made his supervisor grovel before ordering that the plane return to the gate so that the offending supervisor would be removed from the flight.

It got really nasty too, as the chief was about to keep quiet until Cho apparently spread rumors that the (male) chief and the flight attendant in the incident were in a sexual relationship. But a passenger witnessed it and reported it.

Heather Cho was forced to resign from Korean Air but stayed on in other capacities in the chaebol. But then her younger sister got angry during a meeting and threw water (aka "Water Rage") at someone. Even after her sister was sacked, she was still yelling and screaming at others in meetings when she wasn't pleased.

It was basically this family's propensity towards physical violence that more or less reformed the system. I think Samsung's latest CEO was not another in a line of family members.

Might have been. You don't recall the "Nut Rage" incident, aka Nutgate? It was Hyun-ah "Heather" Cho, who was a senior VP and apparently the head of inflight service for Korean Air. It was really bizarre too, as she was flying 1st class from JFK and was upset that she was served macadamia nuts in a bag rather than what she thought was the correct procedure, which was to take them out of the bag and serve them on a porcelain plate. Apparently this was such an insult to her that she whacked the (male) flight attendant (looked it up and the allegation is that she struck his hand with a tablet computing device - maybe a Samsung?) and made his supervisor grovel before ordering that the plane return to the gate so that the offending supervisor would be removed from the flight.

It got really nasty too, as the chief was about to keep quiet until Cho apparently spread rumors that the (male) chief and the flight attendant in the incident were in a sexual relationship. But a passenger witnessed it and reported it.

Heather Cho was forced to resign from Korean Air but stayed on in other capacities in the chaebol. But then her younger sister got angry during a meeting and threw water (aka "Water Rage") at someone. Even after her sister was sacked, she was still yelling and screaming at others in meetings when she wasn't pleased.

It was basically this family's propensity towards physical violence that more or less reformed the system. I think Samsung's latest CEO was not another in a line of family members.
Well you can't blame them removing these spoil brats, they won't be able to hold the business together if they can't hold their emotion together.

I understand Ms. Holmes also wore black turtlenecks to add to her Jobs personna.
Hard to say how much she believed in her blood test machine; that her engineers would get it right soon enough, or she was just a darn good hustler. Probably some of both but ultimately she was a crook playing with people's lives.
Yeah, at first I would have agreed "until she got it right" but 15 years later she still didnt have a working machine. Amazing story. Yes, black turtlenecks.
Yeah, scary stuff the way blood samples were stored, transported and the blood from Walgreens customers was altered (diluted) to an state to enable it be used in a competitors machine.

Yeah, at first I would have agreed "until she got it right" but 15 years later she still didnt have a working machine. Amazing story. Yes, black turtlenecks.
Yeah, scary stuff the way blood samples were stored, transported and the blood from Walgreens customers was altered (diluted) to an state to enable it be used in a competitors machine.

I thought that part of it was that they were taking standard samples on the premise that they were taking part in trials where their results would be compared with that of conventional blood testing equipment.

Elizabeth Holmes was not a tech genius even though she studied chemical engineering before dropping out. At that point one generally is getting early stuff out of the way like math and science. I doubt she took anything other than maybe one introductory engineering course. She was more like Steve Jobs, who was not really someone who designed electronics, but had a decent feel for human interactions. I guess she the an idea woman who needed more technical staff to carry out the idea to completion. But I don't think it was really possible. There have been many criticisms that the machine that Theranos was trying to build could never work reliably. Certain tests can actually be done on a drop of blood (like blood sugar), but what they were trying to do was to provide multiple diagnostic blood tests at once with a single drop. I heard the other issue is that a single drop of blood will start clotting a bit. A blood draw really needs to be from someone's veins.

I really doubt that what she was trying to achieve would ever be possible.

I thought that part of it was that they were taking standard samples on the premise that they were taking part in trials where their results would be compared with that of conventional blood testing equipment.

Elizabeth Holmes was not a tech genius even though she studied chemical engineering before dropping out. At that point one generally is getting early stuff out of the way like math and science. I doubt she took anything other than maybe one introductory engineering course. She was more like Steve Jobs, who was not really someone who designed electronics, but had a decent feel for human interactions. I guess she the an idea woman who needed more technical staff to carry out the idea to completion. But I don't think it was really possible. There have been many criticisms that the machine that Theranos was trying to build could never work reliably. Certain tests can actually be done on a drop of blood (like blood sugar), but what they were trying to do was to provide multiple diagnostic blood tests at once with a single drop. I heard the other issue is that a single drop of blood will start clotting a bit. A blood draw really needs to be from someone's veins.

I really doubt that what she was trying to achieve would ever be possible.
If Theranos failed because of technical difficulty, I'd respect her.

What she did was running a Ponzi scheme sending test samples to competitors, lying to investors and patients, and fire people who try to tell her what not to do and threatening to sue them.

She is no Steve Jobs, she's a snake oil saleswoman.

I see that many are excited about EVs, I can understand part of it but I myself stand by my thoughts that it will not be possible for EVs to come close to replacing gasoline vehicles for at least 20 years, more or less I can see EVs maybe getting to a saturation point of 20% of new vehicle sales, if that much, I think maybe closer to 10%. I think once people see the cost of charging them AND the fact that we do not have the power plants and infrastructure to carry the electricity to everyones home to charge the cars.
So where is the power going to come from to charge these cars? We barely have enough power in the USA to run our home air conditioners at any time of the day.
Until people wake up to the fact that we need nuclear plants, its just not going to happen.

View attachment 95148

Source = https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/04/map-of-nuclear-power-in-the-us-see-where-reactors-are-located.html

Solar is good, wind, Tidal etc Walmart by me has Chargers, I believe that Vietnam is about to import 3 different Electric vehicles into Usa

The incremental cost to installing solar in a housing tract is minimal as compared to a single home installation. Some new houses are 100% electric; no gas furnace, water heater, stove, etc. Pretty sweet deal!
The break even point is probably 5 years or less. Solar is a huge no-brainer in CA and in housing tract development is even better.
My electricity bill is about $9 per month.
I used to live in Sunnyvale California, put water solar to heat my pool, tax breaks paid for it

Solar is good, wind, Tidal etc Walmart by me has Chargers, I believe that Vietnam is about to import 3 different Electric vehicles into Usa
Yeah, I can see a future where electric vehicles are much like any battery operated product.
All they need is an electric motor and battery, your set to go, no transmission ect.

I see a day where some might offer engine options, engines will be standardized and swappable. Choose from for example a GE engine, Panasonic engine, Westinghouse engine, Whirlpool ect.
To me it will be much like a remote control battery operated toy on a large scale, heck, even Apple will have a car.
Its going to be good for the consumer for sure.

AS far as where the electric comes from is another story, how will they step up electric generation to replace ever gas station in the USA when they barely can supply power on a hot summer day is the question I always come back to, we will see.

I can see solar will help, wind too but ... ???
Interesting future, I see a time when people become bored with cars and trucks, once they are all the same, it will be much like you get bored with any toy, people will long for good old fossil fuel products, working versions will be worth a fortune! *LOL*

Yes, we have a Walmart not to far away with a charging station, that will be the next issue. For people who use charging stations, why do they think its going to be cheap to fill up a battery? Stations will be in business to make money.

I can just envision it now. Someone pulls up to a charger to charge up and pays for the electricity with their device. Then they look up at the solar panels and complain that it’s highway robbery since the electricity is free from the sun.

Never mind how it all got there to begin with.

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
I can just envision it now. Someone pulls up to a charger to charge up and pays for the electricity with their device. Then they look up at the solar panels and complain that it’s highway robbery since the electricity is free from the sun.

Sadly, I think this is going to be the norm, or "our taxes should pay for it!"

I get your point, but for the most part nobody pays with a device. Current setups are where vehicles are already registered, and it's just plug in and then it comes out of an account. Devices might come in via an app or maybe text messages when it fully charged, especially where they might be charged overtime for taking up a space without actively charging.

Yeah, I can see a future where electric vehicles are much like any battery operated product.
All they need is an electric motor and battery, your set to go, no transmission ect.

I see a day where some might offer engine options, engines will be standardized and swappable. Choose from for example a GE engine, Panasonic engine, Westinghouse engine, Whirlpool ect.
To me it will be much like a remote control battery operated toy on a large scale, heck, even Apple will have a car.
Its going to be good for the consumer for sure.

AS far as where the electric comes from is another story, how will they step up electric generation to replace ever gas station in the USA when they barely can supply power on a hot summer day is the question I always come back to, we will see.

I can see solar will help, wind too but ... ???
Interesting future, I see a time when people become bored with cars and trucks, once they are all the same, it will be much like you get bored with any toy, people will long for good old fossil fuel products, working versions will be worth a fortune! *LOL*

Yes, we have a Walmart not to far away with a charging station, that will be the next issue. For people who use charging stations, why do they think its going to be cheap to fill up a battery? Stations will be in business to make money.
Mostly agree with your statement excecpt the swappable engine part. They may have multiple source from the factory but once they are build it would cost too much to swap just for fun. Can you do it? Yes, but why?

Regarding to where the electricity to power EV comes from when we have problem keeping AC on during summer day. My answer is, we build the grid and generation (natural gas, nuke, solar, whatever) to handle the hot summer day with AC, and just let the excess capacity charge EV battery (preferably swappable), we will need extra battery lying around and soak up the excess, we can use that to drive when it is not excess, we "may" use it to power the grid back in a pinch. Price would have to be very volatile for people do be willing to do it though. I'm not sure how will people like electricity prices going all over the place every hour, but it can be done.

The Strathmore Solar project east of Calgary started generating. It cost $42 million USD equivalent and has a name plate of 40 MW. I plan to keep a tab on this one. It’s located at 51 degrees N latitude. This is the second plant I’ve seen costing about a million dollars per Megwatt or a thousand dollars per Kw of nameplate capacity (or a buck a watt).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back