Where/how to figure price to ask for an interesting car? (Lincoln Mark VIII)

It looks nice enough to attract a higher end (for that segment/car) buyer. I would probably list it a little high and drop the price every day till it sells. Maybe that $5900 today, $5800 tomorrow, ect. I like to put Firm Price, no dealer fees, price you see is what you pay kind of verbiage in. When you get a guy like me in person really looking at it and then making a lower offer consider taking it. Decline all offers if they haven't seen the car, they are just fishing for a flip.

Reactions: GON
You are going to probably want to target the enthusiasts for these cars. Everyone here cringes when these come in for anything beyond an oil change. So many parts are obsolete on them. I have wasted so many hours of my life trying to track down an obsolete part for these that when we quote the customer the price they say something like "that's highway robbery" and leave.

You are going to probably want to target the enthusiasts for these cars. Everyone here cringes when these come in for anything beyond an oil change. So many parts are obsolete on them. I have wasted so many hours of my life trying to track down an obsolete part for these that when we quote the customer the price they say something like "that's highway robbery" and leave.
Hence my "dinosaur comment". I knew someone who had one new when they came out-it spent more time at the Lincoln dealer than in her garage at home. You could make an argument that they car had "too much tech-for it's time". She said she would never buy another Lincoln-and she never did.

Hate to think what could go wrong with that "tech" so many years later.....

Local market values will always be less than what you will see on BaT. BaT caters to nation(or worldwide?) audience. When you have that big of an audience you are bound to have someone who will pay top dollar. Someone who isn’t necessarily looking through every CL or FB post in the country to find a car.

I would search the local market and price it reasonably. The thing with these old cult following cars is the market gets screwed up by dreamers who believe their car is worth 2x book because “you can’t find ‘em anymore”. Fail to realize that just because you can’t find them doesn’t mean everybody wants one.

Dealers are selling 97 Mark VIIIs for 6-8k on cargurus with just under 100k miles. Since you aren’t a dealer,you can’t provide warranty or registration, I say put it up for $5500. Take $4500 if someone offers.

Here is a 1997 Mark VIII for sale on the Spokane, WA craigslist.

78k miles, Seller CLAIMS in excellent condition, but heater does not work.

$5500.

If I was in Santa Barbara, I would want to take a look at the Mark VIII. Near same mileage as the car the OP posted, California car, one owner. Needs minor repair at driver side rear panel. Looks sweet. $3950.

Good point, I didn't want to push forum rules which I don't think allow ads. It's a nice example. As any one who took a split-second to look at my profile info in the left column could have figured, it's a lovely PNW example that has never seen salt or winter. Garaged, well cared for. Rebuilt front suspension, all new Arnott bags a few years ago, new-ish compressor and all bag valves rebuilt this summer. Everything works/drives great.

Here are some pics I took today, 126k. I don't know what it's worth and anyone assuming I do is wrong. I'd rather people take my words at face value and not impute false intent. It's offensive. The years on this forum (and others) I have spent trying to help other people generously with my time and knowledge is well documented, and the lazy arm-chair, keyboard-assassin insinuation otherwise is not well taken.

No apologies whatsoever if I appear touchy about that, one can simply do some homework instead of making slanting accusations. The internet is not a forum and excuse to forget basic manners.

This is a tough car to assign a value to, It'll take a Mark VIII enthusiast or at least a 32V Mod engine enthusiast to really be interested & they will certainly low ball you.

With the market the way it is....Now is the best time to advertise it for sale! You can always negotiate.

I have such a soft spot for those cars, I had a '94 that I absolutely loved. Any Mark series Lincoln is going to be a niche market car, as they always have been. You have a nice example to be sure, however it doesn't really carry any desirable features. It's not an LSC, it's a basic color combo, and it has average miles and wear. $5k seems about right to me.

Back