Where/how to figure price to ask for an interesting car? (Lincoln Mark VIII)

I need to sell a car for a family member. I don't know precisely how to value this one so need some advice. This used car market is so weird.

I am not trying to push any sales boundaries here (here on this web site), just get advice. It's in really nice shape and almost perfect mechanical shape, so it's worth more than a cheap post on the local Craigslist I think. Can I post pics here and solicit suggestions, or where to get that advice? 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII.

I sold a 2004 Volvo XC70 (good condition, not a beater) of mine on Monday for $5k locally. One exactly like it but lower miles and nicer condition went for $15k on BaT the following day (yesterday). So right now the market range is VERY WIDE. I don't feel like I lost out badly wrt to my car - it was a fair price. But since this is not actually my car but a family member's, I need to exercise some fiduciary duty and get them a fair market price and not badly under-price it.

Price-less in Seattle, I await your advice. ;)

Wonderful car, I had a 1995.

I suggest posting on the message board on the MarkVIII forum: http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/index.htm

Those guys track the value of these cars closely, and will know how to gauge it's value. You may also find a buyer there

I think I actually *might* have an account there when I asked some questions when doing some work on this car a few years ago, I remember that now. Nope - just looked in my email history but nothing from/to them. It must have been somewhere else.

these cars have a cult following

that means you are entering low ball city

Yeah, that's what I want to avoid. The car is really pretty nice, drives great. At a certain low-ball level I keep it for myself. ;) It was my dad's car the last 7 or 10 years. He replaced/repaired everything on it and event the tweaky air bag suspension system works perfectly (new compressor, bags, and we rebuilt the valves this summer to fix a slow leak-down).

I will look for some Mark VIII/Lincoln forums. I know I did sign up at one in the past when working out some issue on the car but can't recall now.

Those are beautiful cars that were way ahead of their time, especially if it's an LSC. Good luck!

the title should be:
What is my Dinosaur worth?
You are totally right.

Being old, rare, of amazing strength and longevity unknown in the modern market, that is in fact how I should market it. Have you priced legit dinosaur bones lately? Worth exponential prices of gold and twice BitCoin. Thanks for that!

The high price on these we've seen was $35k at a Mecum auction last year for a pristine very low mileage one. This is not that but not a beater. So "dinosaur prices" are in fact a good analogy. ;)

I sense you know what the Lincoln is worth. The question you are really asking- how can I market/sell the Lincoln to get top dollar and beyond. You have already researched this model Lincoln at Mecum.

Having a large quantity of clear pictures taken, full narrative on history of the car is what may bring maximum value/ find that buyer willing to pay more than the casual market price.

carsandbids, bringatrailer, and ebay are all places to post the car, and if properly written up for the auction listing, you will have done your fiduciary duties.

I am not sure the "crazy" used car market applies to the Lincoln Mark VIII.

Nothing you posted about the car suggests the interior is in pristine condition, or it has exceptionally low miles. Based on what you posted and a review of sold VIII and available VIII right now that have not found a buyer, your relatives VIII would likely sell on a major web-site in the range of $3500-$6500, with a median price of $5,000.

I did a search on Ebay. A 80,000 mile 1998 Mark VIII with two owners, lifetime Florida/ Arizona car sold for under $6800. Looking at other information, unless the Mark VIII has a very special story, which it appears not, I would exercise expectation management on its worth. The "cult" following of this car may not be people with extra deep pockets.

Here is a one-owner, 27k miles, listed by a dealer, asking price $13,900. Bet it can be had for under $10k.

Another VIII $10,900 buy it now on Ebay, Florida car, 46k miles, seller is a dealer

Last edited:
I sense you know what the Lincoln is worth. The question you are really asking- how can I market/sell the Lincoln to get top dollar and beyond. You have already researched this model Lincoln at Mecum.

I have no idea, it's a car outside my wheelhouse as I posted at the very first. And you are making a rather wild assumption about intentions - wanting a value "and beyond..."- I find that insulting as if I did, would I have sold a desirable Volvo the other day for $10k less than top dollar price? No I would not have. I'm trying to find fair market price.

Nothing you posted about the car suggests the interior is in pristine condition, or it has exceptionally low miles.

It has both a pristine interior and relatively low miles; I didn't post about that and pictures as I'm not trying to use this forum to market it. If I were you, I would stick with facts and not assumptions.

Based on what you posted and a review of sold VIII and available VIII right now that have not found a buyer, your relatives VIII would likely sell on a major web-site in the range of $3500-$6500, with a median price of $5,000.

That would be double what he wants, so we are not talking about pie-in-the sky nonsense here.

There's just a ton of assumptions here and I'd prefer to hear from people with positive ideas and not thread crapping and making negative, unsupported assumptions.

Your post"" I need to sell a car for a family member. I don't know precisely how to value this one so need some advice.""

My response: Having a large quantity of clear pictures taken, full narrative on history of the car is what may bring maximum value/ find that buyer willing to pay more than the casual market price.

In addition, I researched and listed a current sales transaction with a link and a two additional buy it now's with a link.

I posted a constructive market reply with quantitative data to validate, verify, and accredit how I valued the car. Not a negative or non-constructive sentence in my post.

Very sorry if your feelings are hurt on the information I posted based on the assumptions from your post.

There's just a ton of assumptions here and I'd prefer to hear from people with positive ideas and not thread crapping and making negative, unsupported assumptions.
Only one so far throwing negativity is you. Read @GON posts again. Very well put together, helpful, and informative. To avoid assumptions provide more facts, or pictures.

Need the old "this thread is worthless without pics" emoji! It's value could be anything from $2500-20,000. As a fan of these, I could see it going for $10K, but my old adage is, money talks, you-know-what walks. Need more info...

I suggest posting on the message board on the MarkVIII forum: http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/index.htm

Those guys track the value of these cars closely, and will know how to gauge it's value. You may also find a buyer there
I've found most people on marque forums already have an example of that model and tend to pick apart anything presented for sale. That's more of an old mans cars so demand will be limited unless it's a pristine mint 30,000 mile example. Even then, you will get mostly flippers low balling you. Had a few back in the day and always thought a 5-speed conversion would be neat.

Need the old "this thread is worthless without pics" emoji! It's value could be anything from $2500-20,000. As a fan of these, I could see it going for $10K, but my old adage is, money talks, you-know-what walks. Need more info...

Good point, I didn't want to push forum rules which I don't think allow ads. It's a nice example. As any one who took a split-second to look at my profile info in the left column could have figured, it's a lovely PNW example that has never seen salt or winter. Garaged, well cared for. Rebuilt front suspension, all new Arnott bags a few years ago, new-ish compressor and all bag valves rebuilt this summer. Everything works/drives great.

Here are some pics I took today, 126k. I don't know what it's worth and anyone assuming I do is wrong. I'd rather people take my words at face value and not impute false intent. It's offensive. The years on this forum (and others) I have spent trying to help other people generously with my time and knowledge is well documented, and the lazy arm-chair, keyboard-assassin insinuation otherwise is not well taken.

No apologies whatsoever if I appear touchy about that, one can simply do some homework instead of making slanting accusations. The internet is not a forum and excuse to forget basic manners.

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

Have you tried to get a bid from one of those sites that buys cars? Not that you would sell it. Rather, it would establish a floor for the price.

It might be amusing. It might just generate a ton of spam.

I'd be curious for sure.

Looks like a nice driver quality car. Checked the auction sales,

1997 LINCOLN MARK VIII 2D COUPE​

MMR
Not enough MMR transaction data available to generate a value

TransactionsShowing 3 of 3ExportFilter
DatePriceOdo (mi)GradeEng/TExt ColorTypeRegionAuction
10/27/21$1,800*88,969- -8G/- -BlackRegularSoutheastLakeland
7/19/21$900*100,296- -8CY/A- -RegularNortheastmyCentralAuction
2/17/21$3,500*77,521- -8G/ARedRegularSoutheastLakeland

I'd list it for $4,995 and expect to get in the lower $4K's.

Back