Where does the extra The come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Kestas
The european language I speak has no equivalent word for "the".

Is that Lithuanian?
Yup

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
I am in school.
I am in hospital.

Throw in a little synecdoche and you get "I am in toilet" for "I am in the bathroom." Ah lets toss out the am also, "I in toilet." Or if we really want to economize words, "I toilet."

ur rite.

I just found an example on one ofMicrosoft's websites:

"Have you installed the MSN Messenger software yet?
Check out these additional features!
Download and install MSN Messenger"

but in this case they go both ways.

"MSN Messenger" is also a name (of the product), so the article can be dropped. You wouldn't say, "I am going to visit my friend the Peter."

Quote:
but in this case they go both ways.

I've been told that many are of a dual persuasion.

Quote:
You wouldn't say, "I am going to visit my friend the Peter."

Well...I probably wouldn't ..

You just couldn't resist, could you?
grin2.gif

"MSN Messenger" is also a name (of the product), so the article can be dropped. You wouldn't say, "I am going to visit my friend the Peter."

In the quote above, "MSN Messenger" modifies "software," which is the noun taking the article. "The" is useful in this instance because it specifies one of many kinds of software.

You wouldn't say, "Have you installed software yet?" If you haven't installed any software at all -- which is what my sentence implies -- you wouldn't be using the computer to access BITOG or anything else, now would you?

In this case, though, "Have you installed MSN Messenger software yet?" and "Have you installed the MSN Messenger software yet?" are pretty much equivalent.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

In the quote above, "MSN Messenger" modifies "software," which is the noun taking the article. "The" is useful in this instance because it specifies one of many kinds of software.

"MSN Messenger" is a "definite noun," because it refers not to an abstract (any software) but to something concrete (software named "MSN messenger) and as such it commands the "definite article." However, because "MSN messenger" is also a name, you don't have to use the "definite article." In this case the article is optional.

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
Originally Posted By: crinkles
my wife visits the peter often

I like Aussie women... Mmmm..
banana2.gif

as long as you stay away from mine!

j/k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back