Where does the extra The come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to make a lot of people here self conscious, but I've noticed a good portion of people add an extra "the" in front of some words, where it isn't really needed. eg. "I added four quarts of the Supertech oil to my car". I suspect it's a holdover from many of the European languages. I even do it myself sometimes, but can't figure out why.

If I have done it, I am not the aware of it.
grin2.gif

This is a very timely post as far as I am concerned, as so many are talking about the new "The Watchmen" film.

I'm gonna turn the Nerd knob up a bit, here, and remind everyone that it is "Watchmen".

I do note that I hear the extra "the" from French Canadians a lot more than native Anglophones. French Canadians will also often append an "s" after "you", for example: "Yous guys goin' to the hockey game?" In French of course, "you" singular and "you" plural *are* difference words ("tu" versus "vous").

Interesting how linguistics show a native tongue. Had a Spanish speaker at work who wrote English sentences in a Spanish order. Was hard to understand but I took a little Spanish and it's how they arrange stuff.

I wonder where the "R" comes from in a word like "washing machine". I've heard people call it a "wershing machine".
Of course, Ted Kennedy grabs "R"s for words like Cuber (Cuba) and Sammy Souser (Sousa). Go figure.

maybe 'the Donald' had something to do w/ it.
i think that people try to make something sound important by prefacing it w/ 'the'. kind of like using big words just for the sake of the word, to make yourself sound all smarty-like.
as for the extra 'R'; I determined a noo yawk speaking rule for that; if the word HAS an R, you drop it. if it DOESN'T have an 'R', add it. and 'D' becomes 'T'.
whatever=whatevah
bra=brar
diner-dinah
dinner=dinnah
stupid=stupit

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
ask Mori..."Tuesdays with Mori"
grin2.gif

I have the answer you seek, but I've quit my efforts. I have grown tired of all the squealing. See my signature.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Casting grammatical pearls before swine?

Whether or not you interpret an analogy as a literal insult is completely up to you.

It's "Smokey Bear" not "Smokey THE Bear." But then it is "Bob the Builder" not "Bob Builder"

It gets very confusing.
54.gif

Somehow when I was learning English, nobody ever explained to me when to use "the" and when not to use it. The simplified rule was to use it in front of every noun... hence I probably use it too much. If it offends anyone, I apologize. The.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Somehow when I was learning English, nobody ever explained to me when to use "the" and when not to use it. The simplified rule was to use it in front of every noun... hence I probably use it too much. If it offends anyone, I apologize. The.

You generally don't use an article with an abstract noun. Two examples that show how the use of the article changes the meaning:

"I enjoy listening to music." (music in general -- an abstract)

"I enjoy listening to the music." (specific music -- for example the CD you are playing right now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back