Where do you guys buy Chevron Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to further confuse things on the Chevron oil, my local WM's here in NE Tx(Longview, Mt. Pleasant) carry the Chevron oil for diesels, but not the chevron supreme SL for gasoline engines. One store in Longview claimed to have ~10 cases in the back from a special order for a customer; arrived late, customer angered, never picked up. I didn't ask them if it was the SL or SJ, or for a price on it. By then I had Schaeffer in the car & closet.

Stuart, the same was true in upstate NY ... until about 6 months ago. The Chevron Supreme oils suddenly appeared on the shelves of most of the stores ... for $1.08 per quart.
shocked.gif

We'll see how Maxlife SL stacks up against Schaeffers with moly, as after my 6000km interval with Maxlife is done, I'm onto a 6000km interval with Schaeffers. I'm 99.9% sure I'll see much better wear numbers with Schaeffers, even on the very first oil interval. By the second and third intervals, as the moly plates up fully, it should go even lower too.

quote:

Originally posted by Brad:
Now on to the Chevron. I can't seem to find it around Cincinnati either so it must be a pretty common problem. I have tried 3 different Wal-Mart locations and none of them stock the 5w-30, only one had 10w-30. I did find it at a Chevron station but it's $2/quart.
shocked.gif

(

A similar story here in South Jersey; plenty of Supreme 10W-30 at the local Wal-Mart but no 5W-30... I even looked at the price labels on the shelving but didn't see "Chevron 5W-30". I plan on dropping-by Pep Boys later, but past experience suggests not getting my hopes up. W-M also had cases of Havoline in 5W and 10W weights, but in the older Equilon blend.

BLUE82

I'm pretty sure PepBoys does not carry Chevron. If you go to chevron's website you can find a list of retailers who carry their oil.

BTW, some of the Walmarts in Cincy are the same way. They stock Chevron 10w-30 but no 5w-30. I am beginning to think I just got lucky and stumbled upon some.
dunno.gif

BOBISTHEOILGUY

I emailed Valvoline to ask them what was in their anit-wear package that replaced the moly in their Maxlife. In their reply I was told the new anti-wear package meets or exceeds the performance of the old moly containing package. He also sent a spec sheet for the new Maxlife. Neither his explination, nor the spec sheet told me what makes up the new anit-wear package. Looks fishy to me.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
Is shaeffer's a high mileage oil?

It's not labelled as such, but it follows the similar formula, by offering a strong basestock, combined with a very generous antiwear and detergent package.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
BOBISTHEOILGUY

I emailed Valvoline to ask them what was in their anit-wear package that replaced the moly in their Maxlife. In their reply I was told the new anti-wear package meets or exceeds the performance of the old moly containing package. He also sent a spec sheet for the new Maxlife. Neither his explanation, nor the spec sheet told me what makes up the new anit-wear package. Looks fishy to me.

Not being a chemist, I'm not up to speed on all types of chemistry but let me tell you what I know about barrier additives.

A barrier additive either coats or bonds into the metal surface usually activated by heat. Each additive has a limited amount of resistance to pressure that has been measured. To date, I am not aware of ANY other additive that can withstand 500,000lbs psi. Most has a strength of around 15,000lbs psi. Now I'm suspect these measurements are in it's true form and not a soluble form. Either way, I'm sure the ep resistance by each are most likely going to show similar results as one higher than the other.

From my testing on the timken machine, I can plate up an oil with heavy amounts of zddp. I then can smack or shock load the handle and cut through the zddp back to metal. With moly, once plated I cannot. This is one difference between plating and coating. One lays a coat across the surface whereas the other impregnates to the heated surface.

Another thing, Moly is the slickest know F/M known. It is also used as a hardening agent for steel when manufactured. One such surface is quite common it cars, the rings around the piston. I'm not sure if they call it chrome moly rings or just moly rings(I keep getting conflicting info on that from different sources). Moly has apparently got a lot of different uses and has proven out to be an extremely beneficial additive to many different applications in the lubrication industry.

So to say someone has an additive that meets or exceeds moly's ability, I seriously doubt it.

quote:

Is Schaeffer's a high mileage oil?

There is no real answer to that question so let me explain what and why and how I do this.

First lets consider some points of what makes the difference in high mileage motor oils and not.

In my opinion, this is like what is the difference between a color tv ant and a black and white tv ant. (for those that are that old and can remember them selling them that way). Mostly it was advertising and packaging. They could get more for the one over the other because of marketing but yet both had to be the same in order for both to be able to receive on the bandwidth of the same tv signal. It was the tv and the transmitter that made the difference for color reception.

Along those same lines, from what I have seen as of date, what seems to make a motor oil high mileage is they use less detergents so not to upset the seals by cleaning them. In essence, most standard mineral oils would provide about the same service as a high mileage motor oil. Like most oils between each other, each have their little differences but none are going to stand out so much that you'll notice much if any difference between high mileage and standard oil.

From what I have seen, if you have a high mileage engine, stick with what you have been running as it got the engine to that point to start with so it's not going to clean off seals and start developing seal leak problems due to cleaning. If you do develop seal leaks, then it's time to try something like the auto rx or Schaeffers 131 neutra and see if that stops it. The so called seal swellant additives in motor oils are so mi nute that it is more to keep seals ply-able and once the seal has hardened, no oil will have enough conditioner to affect it enough without some help.

So that set aside, I have been using the Schaeffers oil and 131 for well over 7yrs now, combined with tims, davids,ron's 17yrs of experience, I not heard of oil leaks developing from the change over if properly determining taking into account age of engine,mileage,current oil being used, and current consumption. My last two vehicles prior to my current one, had 125,000 miles plus when I first switched them over.

I will not even hesitate to use the blend in a motor because I normally like to first use the 1oz to 1qt ratio of 131 about 500 miles prior to change over to eliminate any possible problems with the seals in an older engine as well as neutralizing the left over acids from the previous oil.

Keep in mind, this is only applicable to car/truck engines after the 70's. In equipment such as old farmers use, another story. I always find out what the current oil is being used (visc, mineral/blend/synth and such), prior to recommending a change over because obviously you want to avoid oil consumption and leaks as much as possible. If you have an old piece of equipment that has been using a st 40wt mineral, I will move him over to a str 40wt mineral as well, given that his bearings and such have such a clearance that to use a 15w40 would develop blowby, therefore you end up with oil consumption. Anyway, enough of this, just some things I look at when doing change overs.

Bob, my bottle of SL rated Maxlife right here doesn't have the API certified starburst on it at all.

And I agree, just because the starburst isn't there on some oils, doesn't necessarily mean for sure that they have more antiwear additives, but for the ones that do have more of these AW additives, that's why they can't get certification.

ZR2RANDO
I thought this board was running very professionally. Why the outbursts without substantiation on Chevron Supreme? Lots of people have excellent results with it. If you have some bas results, how about posting them?

Another difference in the high mileage oils compared to the conventional ones is the fact that they are loaded up with more zinc and phosphorus than they are allowed in order to get API certified, so they don't have this certification. Hence the high mileage label, since people who have cars still under warranty won't use this stuff. A lot of people think the high mileage oils can't be used in new cars, but then can, you just have to keep in mind the fact that they aren't certified, and they aren't magic oils that will fix an old clunker that burns a quart of oil every 500 miles either. And based on Bob's test on seals, these oils don't swell seals either (at least Maxlife doesn't)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Another difference in the high mileage oils compared to the conventional ones is the fact that they are loaded up with more zinc and phosphorus than they are allowed in order to get API certified, so they don't have this certification. Hence the high mileage label.

respectfully diagree to that. Just because it is not api certified doesn't mean it has higher levels of anything and can lead you to assume just what you think. Not only that, maxlife is now api certified. Tell you anything?

Widman, I guess you missed the joke. Back on July 14 I made the comment about Brer Rabbit....Ever read the old Uncle Remus books?
I use Havoline oil and Chevron Supreme myself. I was making the joke about other people NOT buying the oil so there would be more left for me, like Brer Rabbit didn't want the fox to throw him in the briar patch because that is EXACTLY where he wanted to be....do you get it now?

Dang....gave up last week and paid $1.69 at the local Chevron, three days later Wal-Mart has 10W30 Chevron by the case at 1.08! The oil at Chevron station was manuf. on 2/12/02, wal-mart's shipment was bottled on 7/12/02.

Chevron Supreme dino stuff is easily obtained at any Target. Chevron synthetics used to be available at Target as well, but can usually be had at a Checker's.

C Willi 01SS: Delo works fine in gasoline engines. I use it in my Grand Cherokee. personally I like the higher additive level.
Chevron's synthetics are going through some marketing/supply changes. The Supreme Synthetic 15w50 is no longer available at the wholesale level, so if you see it out there somewhere, that's the last of it. I was told it will be replaced by a 10w40, but that was not ready yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back