Where do you guys buy Chevron Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also noticed up here that all the 10w30 Maxlife is gone (at one Walmart anyways) and they knocked the price of the 5w30 jug down to $10.98 (this is about $7 US)

If the technical data sheets had a LOT more detail on them, they might be more useful, but so many oil companies are just leaving out way too much vital info. When I talk to friends of mine and they ask about one oil compared to another, most of them don't understand what the HTHS is, or the Noack volatility. To them it's all about VI, flash and pour point. I'll admit, I was in their shoes once too. That's why I point so many people over to this site so that they can educate themselves on what truly makes a good oil. The technical data sheets are a good start, but not the be all end all of how good an oil will perform in your engine.

Thanks Patman, I've only had one negative customer response in 2 years of "consumer" kits.

He didn't like the fact that I got the results before he did from the outsourced lab,which happened to be OAI. SO much for quick turnaoround time.

OAI didn't help with the misinformed fellow so I fired OAI. I still owe 2 interpretations to the guy but have not heard from him.
offtopic.gif

Patman

Maxlife may still be the "bargain" oil. Just because it no longer contains moly doesn't mean it isn't just as good as it was. Maybe it's better. The point is, we don't know yet. You're making it sound as if you already know it's not as good as it used to be. This isn't the first time this discussion has come up. I don't understand why any company would knowingly produce an inferior product (compared to their previous product). Makes no sense.

From what I understand, moly is expensive, so Valvoline probably figured if they could just leave it out, and still charge the same money, they'd make more money. It was never publically announced that it contained moly anyways, so 99.9% of the people that use Maxlife have no idea it changed.

I've been looking back at my oil analysis on Maxlife and it doesn't look that bad, but not that great either. 40% oxidation in 2300 miles is a bit scary.

Patman,

Just yanking your chain; You have been such a good sport about it!
wink.gif

As I recall, there was someone on one of the threads who said that Maxlife had contained
XXX ppm of Moly, and we had no reason to doubt that until oil analysis showed otherwise. And maybe it had - maybe a recent formula change required its removal.

Believe me, even an oil chemist or tribologist has trouble keeping up on the latest developments.
patriot.gif

Quote:
"Believe me, even an oil chemist or tribologist has trouble keeping up on the latest developments"

Yeah! And it is worse for us that are not in that type business!

[ July 15, 2002, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

See what you did Patman?
grin.gif

You have affected the oil market for the whole world.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

is it true that you and Martha Stewart are old pals?
cheers.gif

Bottgers,

Ever since I saw the virgin oil analysis, I have not liked what I saw when it came to maxlife. At that time, it did have moly listed in the analysis, BUT, the detergent levels was not that impressive, thus leaving it wide open to oxidation levels increasing faster than some of the others.

After doing my little experiment, it also showed that the detergents was not that good in comparison to Penzoils High mileage motor oil or any of the synth/blends. Now with high mileage motors you may not want to actually clean the seals and such as it would create more leaks.

So in my opinion, the maxlife, and maybe even some of the other high mileage motors are designed to be run only 3000 miles.

DOH!
grin.gif

I feel bad for making so many people think Maxlife was a good bargain oil containing moly, how was I to know they pulled a Castrol Syntec on us!
pat.gif

This reinforces my belief on how important oil analysis is though. Had I just blindly gone on thinking this oil had moly in it, and never done analysis, how would I have known the truth?

No matter what oil you guys choose to run, the best advice is to do oil analysis to see what is really going on, and if the intervals you choose work for your particular situation.

I've been trying to share that bit of wisdom with people for years Patman.Only ones that have really listened are the big buck Racing and trucking guys.

A good analyst can do more with an average trend oil analysis from any lab than most Chemists can do with reams of ASTM test data in evaluating a lubricants real life effect on reducing wear and performing appropriately.

I think I'm starting to get through to people Terry, as I get a lot of guys asking me now about who I get to do my analysis. Of course, I point them to you!
smile.gif

You should be seeing quite a few oil analysis requests from f-body and Vette owners in the near future!

patriot.gif

I myself have been singing that song for a long time as to how mis leading just reading TD Sheets could be. That is a starting point but the analysis is the real deal, allowing you to see a more broader picture than just base oil tests.
twak.gif

I suspect that's why so many people think I'm nuts
gr_eek2.gif
saying that a blend can do almost if not as well as some full synths' at half the price.

Been there done that.
fruit.gif

Uh Uh..no way, I ain't buying it, never again....
Don't care HOW CHEAP IT GETS!!!!
Even if they put it ON SALE I ain't buying it!!!

Think they heard me?
wink.gif

Update!!

For those of you who are interested my local Wally World just re-stocked Chevron Supreme 5w-30 (maybe new shipments). So, for those of you that are looking for it you might want to check you local Wal-Mart's sometime this week.
cheers.gif

chevron supreme, just bought more than i need at costo,11.00 case. &wal-mart. (i'm Happy)phx.az.
cheers.gif

Brad,Thats odd how they do things regionally like this. 120 miles South of me in TX the Chevron is everywhere! Just the Delo 400 here.
Up North they can find 10/30 and 10/40 Valvoline VR1. Here only 20/50- and straight 40,50,60 wt.

No Kendall GT1 at all.I mean nowhere

Thats OK,I like what is in my cars
grin.gif

Now Shell is here in Oklahoma.Guess what? They did not bring their cool 94 octane gas with them
frown.gif

[ July 17, 2002, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Bob wrote:
"Now with high mileage motors you may not want to actually clean the seals and such as it would create more leaks."

I think that is "one" of Auto RX's sales points to clean a seal so as to move freely again and sealing properly once more.And I thought the same thing has been spoke of with using the 131 Shaeffers product?

Any thoughts?

[ July 17, 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

when you clean a seal,remember that the seal has
endured extreme levels of temps and has coked up
therefore the elasticity of the seal will tend to
be harden. Oils themselves do not soften the
seals therefore would have created a leaking
situation if they cleaned the seal without
conditioning.

This in my opinion is why so many people tend to
find leaks with synth's because it cleans the
seals, but without conditioning it now has a
clean harden seal where it can pass by, as before
the grime and such that was covering the seal was
acting like a seal in itself.

So, yes, the 131 does clean, but in addition, it also conditions the seals.

[ July 17, 2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

dragboat,

I hear ya on the regional differences between markets. I have never, and I mean never, seen Kendall products anywhere around Cincinnati. We don't have Kragen, Checker Auto or anything like that around Cincy. If PepBoys, AutoZone or Wal-Mart does not have it your SOL.

My local Wal-Marts stock the 5 quart jug of Valvoline 10w-30, but no 5w-30. Go figure. Also can't find Delvac 1 here either. They only stocked the "new" Mobil 1 with SuperSyn in the 5 quart jug for a short period of time, now that has disappeared as well. I bought a jug of 5w-30 when they had it, guess I just got lucky.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back