where can i change my own oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

looking for some ideas.
I live in an apartment complex and the rules specifically state that no car repair or maintenance is to be done in the parking lots.

I would like to change my own oil. I've been going to this one place for a while but I highly suspect that they partially unbolted my alternator on purpose - I winded up shelling out big cash for a belt change (because of the loose alternator the car SQEEEEEEEALED like crazy) - and was about to shell out cash again for an alternator change before I noticed the bolt was missing.

Anyways - I don't trust ANYwhere anymore. I want to do my own oil changes - but I need to find a place I can do it. A friends house you say? - eh - i don't want to bother - just want to go someplace anytime without having to call ahead and ask or such. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Walmart parking lot?
smile.gif

Sometimes there are garages that you can rent by the hour for repair and maintenance, but you would have to check out your area.

Other than that you might be stuck.

friends or family place is the obvious first choice..

#2 automotive parts store parking lot.. you see everyone with the hoods up working on things anyways at these places all the time.. only downside is having to tote things like your own jack and oil drain pan around with you.. that can get messy.

You could probably just do it at the complex anyway.

If you take the time to put a tarp down so you can't make a mess you'll probably be fine.

A Colony Park wagon less one front fender with it's engine and some other engine in the back sitting on three flat tires and a jack stand for three years is a problem. Chances are the management doesn't want to see you putting brakes on your Civic with matte high visiblilty green paint that doesn't need brakes anyway because one of the connecting rods has pushed it's way out of the engine.

I love NC and the beautiful country roads. With care and attention, you can change oil with minimal drips or mess. And it should only take you 30 minutes or so. Just do not do it around streams, creeks, national parks, lakes, etc. And please do clean up your mess and take the oil to a recycling shop such as autozone or advance. Good luck

Is there a storage unit you can rent at your apartment? I stored my bicycle there when I was an apartment dweller, but had no trouble changing oil in there.

Do you need to lift the car up a bit or can you reach under? I prefer ramps rather than a jack. Get a drain pan that can be sealed up for transport. I would try it at your apt. place. They will not toss you out for doing it once. The manager just wants to make sure people do not leave big oil stains and/or other messes he has to clean up. I once had the manager help me blow out a spark plug tube with his compressor. I would change my oil there but keep it neat. I hide the oil pan under some bushes when I was done with it until the next time. I did several oil changes and one trans fluid exchange. Newspapers for drips, but I prefer a cut open dog food bag, maybe a friend has a dog and will save one for you.

If that fails, then a Walmart parking lot and just bring the old oil in after you change it. Most Walmarts have a street sweeper do their parking lot every morning, so its clean to lay on.

I used to do mine in the Walmart parking lot all the time, very convenient to dump the used oil when you are done too. I once had a security guard question me about what I was doing, but he couldn't seem to figure out anything wrong with it, so he let me be.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Commercial office parking lot on the weekends. Its always deserted.

Yeah this. Your apt complex at 7:30 am on a weekend might also be good if you can manage to be quiet.

Look around your town, is there a big ditch you can drive over? Maybe drive your wheels up on a curb? Then you won't need ramps. There are parts of town down by the railroad tracks that are extremely industrial/ warehousey that have semi trailers parked helter skelter etc. Behind most strip malls are a series of loading docks etc and while truck traffic is erratic you can find a "dead mall" where it's minimal. Stay off private property if you can but you'll often find city property/ streets that dead end and have no traffic b/c they were planning an industrial park that never happened. Google "Paper roads".

Wherever you do it, act like you own the place. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Naturally I'd get an enclosed drain plan and have a nascar type pit crew approach to things. Lay out the tools ahead of time, wear gloves, have a trash bag handy, etc.

Autozone, oreily's, and AAP normally have tools you can borrow also if you do the work in their parking lot

Originally Posted By: Donald
...then a Walmart parking lot and just bring the old oil in after you change it. Most Walmarts have a street sweeper do their parking lot every morning, so its clean to lay on.

Wow, things are different in the civilized states. Here in Texas, the Walmart lots are full of garbage, grocery carts scattered everywhere, loose plastic bags blowing around, the occasional puddle of vomit and sometimes a dead animal or two. (OK, I'm kidding about the dead animals, but it still ain't pretty.)

Or you can buy electric extractor for boats and do it really quick with minimum mess,especially if you can reach filter fom top.

Originally Posted By: Jocephus
Autozone, oreily's, and AAP normally have tools you can borrow also if you do the work in their parking lot

All the AZ, AAP, and O'Reillys around here have signs posted saying that working on cars in not allowed in their lot. They'll let you do something simple like changing wipers or a light bulb, but there's no way they would let you change your oil there.

Any public parking lot. How about the street? I live in the city and change it right on the street im parked on. I admit its a bit odd, and you do get a few strange looks but meh no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back