When to Switch to Synthetic on New Suzuki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new GSX-R750 that I can't seem to ride enough (meaning I have trouble finding the time to ride it). I have only 500 km or so on it since taking delivery in late June. The first service is meant to happen at 1000 km, which includes oil/filter, bolt tightening and miscellaneous checks. When I do switch to synthetic, it will be Amsoil MCF 10w40 with the Amsoil filter; I'm just debating whether to do the switch at the first service, or to get clean dino in there for a little longer. Thoughts?

I would run a fleet diesel 15w-40 (pick any of 'em - I like Rotella or Delo) until the time comes to put it away. Then change out to the oil that you want to run next spring as you do your winterisation process.

I always do the first change around 500 kms as opposed to waiting any longer w/ a high metallic loading in the oil. The filter should be doing it's job but oil is cheap when one considers the money that you just laid out. That;s my two cents' worth of advice.

John.

Originally Posted By: car54
amsoil is expensive. if you never ride the bike, why do you need such an expensive synthetic?

+1

Amsoil is not that expensive and if you want to run it and change it once a year or every two years, there would be no harm in that.

My advice if for you to ride and enjoy your bike!

The cost of Amsoil isn't really a factor. It's not that much more than dino oil to be a deterrent; the longer drain interval and added protection mitigates the extra cost (and I don't plan on extending the drain interval to the maximum suggested by Amsoil). I will more than likely stay with fresh dino for the balance of this riding season and switch next spring.

I agree its the best you can use. I run Schaeffers 5w-50 synthetic in my bike, but at $25 per gallon its cheaper than most oem dino oils and I'm averaging 6,000+ miles a season on my bike, hoping it can be a once a year oil change with Schaeffers once I do a longer OCI and UOA.

Another vote for Rotella T 15w-40 here... Are you absolutely sure the bike does not have synthetic in it now? My Ducati Monster, which I bought new, was shipped with synthetic oil in the crankcase.

Furthermore, if you stick with a commonly available HDEO like Rotella or similar, the sourcing of your oil is much simpler, not to mention less expensive.

On the filter note, the Fram PH6018 would work fine, if a Fram is good enough for a Ducati, I'm sure your GSXR will be fine...

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
Originally Posted By: ABCarr
I have a new GSX-R750

I have a 750 as well, what year is yours?

Anytime after the first OCI will work. Either the MCF 10W40 or the AMO 10W40 will work for you. I have had great success with AMO in bikes I have had in the past, and it is a little cheaper than the MCF.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I have a new GSX-R750

I have a 750 as well, what year is yours?

Do you do track days?

Rotella 15W-40 in my B-King did not work as well as Mobil 1300 15W-40. shifting and overal smoothness of engine worked noticeably better with the Delvac. In fact same thing with my two other bikes which I owned prior to this one.

I have a new GSX-R750 that I can't seem to ride enough (meaning I have trouble finding the time to ride it). I have only 500 km or so on it since taking delivery in late June. The first service is meant to happen at 1000 km, which includes oil/filter, bolt tightening and miscellaneous checks. When I do switch to synthetic, it will be Amsoil MCF 10w40 with the Amsoil filter; I'm just debating whether to do the switch at the first service, or to get clean dino in there for a little longer. Thoughts?

I ran my gsxr1100 and busa from day 1...Why wait? SO the rings take a little longer to seat etc...I would skip the Amsoil oil filter unless you put loads of miles on.

Originally Posted By: car54
amsoil is expensive. if you never ride the bike, why do you need such an expensive synthetic?

Price is not the issue. Quality, Performance, and Service are the real issues. If other oils are much less, what does that tell you? Perhaps they know how much their product is worth.

my UOA's tell me the much cheaper oils I run work perfectly well. 200 miles on my bike today, trying to get to 5k and see how this schaeffers 5w-50 holds up.

almost as much riding in one day as the OP has done since june. I bet he could run some non API dollar store oil and never wear his engine out. He's worried over lubrication for something he never even rides. just seems kinda funny to me.

Quote:
I bet he could run some non API dollar store oil and never wear his engine out. He's worried over lubrication for something he never even rides. just seems kinda funny to me.

+1!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back