When to Replace Radiator and Coolant Hoses

In the 2018 - 2019 timeframe (over maybe 18 months and approx 4 service/repair appointments, to spread out the costs) gave Dad's 2001 V6 Camry a big maintenance refreshment overhaul, the goal to get another decade or so of reliable service. Replaced all fluids/filters/hoses/belts/timing belt/tensioners/water pump/crank and camshaft seals/ all 4 quickstruts/shocks replaced/a bad O2 sensor replaced...ALL Toyota OEM parts that I bought myself but had Pep Boys do the work, and in the last year a new AGM battery and 4 new Michelin tires. It was worth the grand total $ 6000 - $ 7000 investment as the car is still in VERY good condition with approx 33,000 miles on it (he's been retired a long time now and only drives maybe 1000 - 1500 miles yearly). We see no reason we can get 30 years out of the car, and it's still a perfectly nice riding car and no need to get a new car which is averaging $47,000 these days!

While there is no set timeframe of mileage at which your hoses must be replaced, it is a good idea to visually inspect them during routine oil changes or when you're under the hood topping up washer fluid or checking your oil. Although it might be a good idea to replace them when you are due for a coolant flush.

In San Francisco, where temperatures are not extremely hot or cold, they should have a decent lifespan. If you lived some place like Phoenix, it would be a different story. Where I'm at, I need to replace my hoses every 3 years due to extreme heat.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, some of which I've used in the past, so I know they can be workable. However, my circumstances and needs have changed from those days, and what worked for me then isn't always so good for me now.

Last edited:
It is not only material, but pressure system operates at.
Performance cars usually have higher cooling system pressure. So, it depends on vehicle.

This. With the exception of Nissan. Not sure what material Nissan hoses are made from but they are junk.

I think some of the plastic bits used on the cooling systems of late model vehicles is more suspect than the hoses today.

I haven't had issues with the hoses themselves on Nissan products, but I have had problems with the steel tubing they use as transition pieces between sections of hose. Some of the steel lines can be a foot in length and they rust until they look like tree bark and will crumble and leak.

I had a section of such tubing let loose on my daughter's 2015 Nissan Versa at around 60K miles for the ATF cooler. This car has the 4spd auto, but the cooler line parts are exactly the same between CVT and 4AT. None of this will be an issue if you don't have winter/salt.

Back