When to dump oil from a new vehicle??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I would stick with mfg's recommendation. Are we really better qualified to make our own rules?

Typically, a break-in oil contains some special additives to help in the break-in process.

As for not using synthetic until X miles... well, a lot of cars come filled with synthetic straight from the factory nowadays... I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree.

Why waste the oil on a short OCI unless the vehicle is driven under extreme conditions or is subject to extreme climate conditions then adjust the OCI according to OEM's handbook.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
there's no WAY I would ever consider leaving it in there longer than necessary.

So, how long is "necessary"? :)

As you can see, this comes down to a voting contest. About half the people say "leave the FF alone" and the other half say "get it out FAST."

Since its a vote, my vote is CHANGE IT NOW. There's so much microscopic abrasive [censored] floating around in a new engine that there's no WAY I would ever consider leaving it in there longer than necessary. Does the filter catch it? Mostly, but the filter does frequently go into bypass during cold operation, so some gets out. Do millions of cars do just fine leaving FF in for 5000 miles? SURE. Look at the whole rental fleet, you don't think Avis, Hertz, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, etc. do early changes, do you?

But for MY car, I want to get the grit out ASAP. Its never failed me, and my engines have always lasted over 200k miles with no oil related problems or high oil consumption. My usual regimen is very much like what Chris142 posted, FWIW.

I agree, this topic can be debated to death with a 50/50 outcome.
For me, and my peace of mind, I think I am going to change it out this Friday? I just can't bare knowing that all the initial wear products are floating around in there!
It should have about 850km's and that is what the manual says as far as taking it easy on the engine. (max 88km/per hr for the first 800km's or 500 miles)
It may be silly to some, but oil is cheap imo. Thanks for all your help.........Irv

Just getting more acquainted with finer points of oil, I would recommend a shorter oci for the very first oil change. 500 miles seems long enough for the engine to shed whatever it is going to shed. Change it and move on with life. I think if you change it too quickly, then you're not giving the engine time to do its thing.

Anyways, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Probably less than 1% of people actually do anything different than the typical 3k or 5k OCI. However, logic tells me to change it a early. But then again, I'm a maintenance junky.

As you can see, this comes down to a voting contest. About half the people say "leave the FF alone" and the other half say "get it out FAST."

Since its a vote, my vote is CHANGE IT NOW. There's so much microscopic abrasive [censored] floating around in a new engine that there's no WAY I would ever consider leaving it in there longer than necessary. Does the filter catch it? Mostly, but the filter does frequently go into bypass during cold operation, so some gets out. Do millions of cars do just fine leaving FF in for 5000 miles? SURE. Look at the whole rental fleet, you don't think Avis, Hertz, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, etc. do early changes, do you?

But for MY car, I want to get the grit out ASAP. Its never failed me, and my engines have always lasted over 200k miles with no oil related problems or high oil consumption. My usual regimen is very much like what Chris142 posted, FWIW.

I also get well over 200,000 miles before I get tired of a car. My current daily driver is 12 years old. I bought it new. Now has over 250,000 miles and is still sound. Factory fill stayed in for 3,000 miles and I continued with 3,000 mile intervals using Mobil conventional oil until 190,000 miles when I switched to whatever I could get on sale and changing it at 5,000 miles. Most of the changes since 190,000 miles were with synthetic.

You really don't need to worry about early oil changes. Find something else to loose sleep over.

I have on 07 Silverado Z71 4x4 with the 5.3 engine. Changed the oil and filter at 2500miles with Mobil 5000 conventional oil and AC filter. Then at 5k changed to Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and AC filter. I change the oil (PP) and filter (either AC or Wix) every 5k miles, and rotate tires same time. Just easier for me to remember. Have never had the OLM come on and the monthly reports from OnStar state to go to 10k mile OCI's. Just can't bring myself to going that far on the oil and filter yet...

Last edited:
I'm probably going to change the FF oil on my fiancee's new 09 Honda since it's been in there for 9-12 months and has been used mainly for short test drives followed by extended periods of sitting. Build date was middle of 08, and we just bought it with 350 miles on the odometer. Makes me want to change it regardless of what the OLM says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back