when to change, what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car in question: 2013 Dodge Dart, 21,000mi, 2.0L engine

I am currently 4227 mi into the fill of Pennzoil Platinum (the newer, natural gas one).
I have a FRAM Tough Guard on there.

OEM Manual says OCI
I have a trip coming up for holiday leave.
1200MI one way to Florida,
1200MI back from Florida.
+/- a few miles for my adventures on the highway to cabelas/bass pro
500-800mi driving while I'm in Florida.
so, here's the question.

Change the oil now, before the trip, at 4227MI on the fill.
change the oil when I get to Florida, at 5427MI on the fill.
change the oil before I leave Florida, at 5927-6227MI on the fill.
or change the oil when I get back to Texas at 7127-7427

Car doesn't consume oil.
mostly hwy driving on the way to fl, in fl, and back to TX from fl.
mixed 40%City/60%Hwy driving so far on this fill.

I also plan to sea foam it on my back from Florida, something I do to all vehicles at least every 25,000mi.

only modifications to the engine is a K&N CAI, and a DC Sport exhaust.

Man, I thought this was going to be a tough one.

Of course don't change it until (way) after you get back.

Just act normally and when you reach close to 10k, change as you would normally. Draining serviceable oil for serviceable oil is a waste of time, money, and resources. Your engine will not know the difference.

How about rotating the tires, inspecting brake and suspension systems, cooling, lights, spare tire, clean windows...

My son's 2013 Dart (2.0L Auto) has been averaging around 8500 miles between OLM displays. He does a ton of stop & go, slow speed driving around the Wash DC beltway in rush hour. He also uses PP 0W-20. The manual says to change the oil within 500 miles of the OLM light. I think you'll be more than safe taking the trip and changing when you get back. The OLM may not have even triggered by then. Skip the Sea Foam.

Last edited:
Too easy an answer. Wait until you get back from FL.
Rotate the tires before you go if you have not recently.
Skip the seafoam. That engine is new and you have GREAT oil in it
I highly doubt the seafoam will do anything other than cost your wallet $8.

Hello, If I was 1,200 miles from home the last thing I'd do would be having my engine suck up a load of solvent (Sea-Foam) in a parking lot. Do that kind of stuff at home.

A care free highway trip in a reliable car is what we all dream about-enjoy your trip!

Anyone for cranking the tire pressure up to "highway hard"?
Points to Oil Changer for suggesting inspection of the spare and cleaning the windows (a family tradition of ours before trips). Kira

Change it when you get back and do not use the Seafoam on a new car like this as there is no need to
Rotate the tires,check all fluids and you are good to go

IMHO, you can wait to change the oil when you get back to Texas.
The hwy miles you'll be putting on it will be easy on your oil.
Skip the seafoam and use top tier gas.

Fwiw, I don't use the sea foam in the oil, I run it through the fuel, keep up with injectors for 8$/25k mi is a lot cheaper than dirty injectors and the issues they can cause in the future.

I did the same regiment on my Ford Ranger since 25K mi, and the injectors are darn near brand new at 320K

I tend to stick to top tier gasoline. But on a long trip, who knows when you're in east BF nowhere and need to fill (places in LA and North FL) and its a questionable fuel point.

here in Texas? Car gets doses of Valero weekly.
no Valero? Exxon, Shell, Texaco, Chevron.

home in Florida, and being a former employee, I use RaceTrac gas, as I know where the fuel comes from, and the manufacturer of the fuel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mulehead
7500 sounds great and put on a oem filter

do tell where there's a store where I can find the MOPAR filter and pick it up today. lol
I now normally pop a tough guard, Bosch d+, or MANN oil filter on it

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted By: mulehead
7500 sounds great and put on a oem filter

do tell where there's a store where I can find the MOPAR filter and pick it up today. lol
I now normally pop a tough guard, Bosch d+, or MANN oil filter on it

You could go online and buy Mopar filters in advance of your oil change.

Wait until you get back. If your BITOG inner self is trying to escape, bring a 5 quart jug of oil with you for top offs.

Chances are, your car wont even need that. (Still good to have with road trips though.. sure beats overpriced budget gas station oil too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back