When to analyse my Amsoil ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here is what I am doing: 84 Chevy 350, just broken in and has been run on Mobil 1 for a few intervals. Switched to Amsoil ATM 10W30 and Amsoil Oil Filter on new years. I am going to go by the Amsoil recommended way of doing things wich is change over to their oil with their filter and not change oil for one year or 25,000 miles, with a filter change and top up at 12,500 or 6 months. I didn't do a short run to flush out the old oil just went straight to Amsoil and I did not do an engine flush either because it is a low miler. I won't likely make 25000 miles so I want to sample at six months and at one year. The question is at six months should I sample before or after the filter change and top up. If before I know how the oil did, if after I know how it will be doing for a while yet? What do you guys think. I doubt I will do both, just once at 6 mnths and once at 12 and then I will change it out.

I would not go to 25k miles on your first batch of oil. I would do what you suggest, sample at six month or at 10k miles and no later than that.
Decide what to do next based on oil analysis.
Obtain the sample before filter change and top up, otherwise the results will not provide you with reliable data.
On the other hand, considering that it is a new engine you might want to sample much earlier, say at 5k. Amsoil is a great oil but each application is different and few people can go 25k. It only happens under ideal conditions with a well broken in engine used mostly on long trips.

[ April 30, 2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: highmiler ]

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
The question is at six months should I sample before or after the filter change and top up. If before I know how the oil did, if after I know how it will be doing for a while yet?

Do it before you change the filter, or else you will skew the results. After you get the analysis back you will then be able to determine if the filter change and top up will allow you to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back