when checking your dipstick causes a heart attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: datsago
Originally Posted By: PT1
: Not sure what the sump capacity on that engine was but it had to be running on 1-2 quarts of oil. ANDshe had just driven it 200 miles home...

And at what point does the Corolla's ECM warn the driver that she is low on oil? When there is only one quart left?

You mean the ENGINE MELT LIGHT?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: datsago
: Not sure what the sump capacity on that engine was but it had to be running on 1-2 quarts of oil. ANDshe had just driven it 200 miles home...

And at what point does the Corolla's ECM warn the driver that she is low on oil? When there is only one quart left?

You are a 21st century warrior sir. The cars aforementioned were of the "old school" variety. That's why all the insert and Dr. Ruth references. My wife went through three count 'em (3) slant six Chryslers before I married her. When I asked about the engine troubles, she queried "well, don't they give you oil when you buy gas"? My fixation with oil changes and maintenance has served our families well.
I'm sure this is one example of many more out there.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
I drove home a new Avalon and checked the oil next morning. Bone dry dipstick. Two and a half quarts later it read right on the full mark. Dealer prep, riiiggghhhttt.

I never drive any vehicle more than one block to the nearest service station and check the fluids when picking up from a dealer or any mechanic shop. I have just had that same thing happen too many times.
frown.gif

PT1 - On my honor I will adapt that posture and never deviate from it.

I've driven cars where the time to change the oil is decided by the level on the dipstick. If I'm two quarts low in a four quart system, why not just change the oil? It's almost the same price and half as much oil to dispose.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
When I worked at the W-M TLE last year, we had SO many cars come in with no oil showing on the dipstick, that the 'shock' wore off, and it just became a normal event...'huh, no oil on the stick. Oh well, call the customer, get them to sign the waiver that we aren't responsible for damage...' We made 4-5 of those calls A DAY.

I've had friends where I check their oil and they're at least a quart low; I appraise them of the situation and they say, oh, I'm going to get it changed soon. (yeah right!)

Though I'm sure there are plenty of clueless driving new leased cars, I'm amazed at the number who buy $1000 beaters (from me) and don't even look under the hood, or underneath for rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back