Wheel Stud Bolt Snapped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fozzdesy2001
Originally Posted By: slybunda
i have replaced the stud today, very easy job, the rest seemed fine with no obvious thinning. now that i know the size of stud i need i will order few spares just incase.

Plase, tell us how you did this? With the tool, myself and Gokhan suggested or another way. I am curious...

Hello. I replaced the stud using nothing more than a hammer. One hit on the front with hammer and chisel sent the broken stud flying out the back. Then new stud pushed in and hit with a hammer a few times and it was in. Very easy job.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The last time I replaced a stud it was on my wife's 2002 Corolla. I did it the 'wrong' way by giving it one solid smack with a heavy hammer (eye protection mandatory!) and it popped out of the hub. Installing it was just stacking a bunch of greased washers (like a poor-man's thrust bearing) under a reversed (flat side facing in) lug nut and wrenching it down until the stud flange bottomed out. Do NOT go any further than that or you will stress the new stud and probably ruin the threads and even possibly break it. Don't be an ape.

I take no responsibility for hurting your car or yourself if you do it this way.

I replaced one on the passenger side front of a 1991 Caprice . Threads messed up .

Pretty much as you described . But I would tighten down on it , then smack the back / inside side with a hammer to " help " it move a little . Repeated until the stud was seated fully .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back