What’s your thermostat set to any why? Heat source?

I‘ve been spoiled by the kind of shower control valve that is just a single handle. Pull for water, push to turn it off, rotate to change temperature mix. At our old place, the shower/tub had two valves and the hot was extremely finicky. I just left the water running there.

My old house had those. When I first moved in, I notice two things:

1)The water heater was set to an extremely high temperature.

2)The shower didn't get that hot.

I took the valve apart and noticed that it had a plastic disk that limited how hot it could get. I adjusted it to allow for max hot and lowered the water heater temperature.

That was a dumb idea. You won't get scalded in the shower, but every other faucet in the house is a scalding hazard...

I wish we still had furnace heat. Our old condo had a high efficiency furnace and it was super cheap!
How much does it cost a day? With weather around freezing I an using about 2.2 gallons of oil a day in a hydronic boiler FHW baseboard system. That is about 10 bucks a day.

Given the frequency the boiler was running this past weekend during the arctic blast, I bet the oil usage jumped up to 4-5gal per day. I am in a open two story log cabin with basically no insulation other than 1" pink foam core board under the EPDM roof and nothing under the shingled part other than CDX sheathing and tar paper.

I keep the thermostats at about 64degF during the day. and 62 at night. if it gets too cold, the heating cycles are about 35% longer since the boiler is getting a slug of very cold water. A typical heating cycle is about 7-12 mins depending on outside temps and wind. I had a new and good boiler guy deep brush and thoroughly clean my boiler and it's much more efficient now - less waste heat up the chimney.

I am sitting here at my desk in a flannel shirt and a cotton turtleneck undershirt and plaid flannel housepants

- Ken

We must be related :ROFLMAO: . People give me strange looks when I tell them I turn the water on and off in the shower, same when I brush my teeth. I left my place at 67f, used to leave it at 59f, but as the house ages, I'm afraid to go that low again 🤷‍♂️
I have been soaping up and scrubbing with the water off for years in the shower as our well isn't unlimited, We are on a private leach field and especially now as we have been in a drought since last winter. If you think about it, why try to soap up when the shower is competing and rinsing you off! The world should do this. Just get in. run some hot water to get warm and wet, then shut it off until you are ready to rinse off. Wonderful!

- Ken

Last edited:
Why so high while you’re away? We turn everything completely off while we’re away if it’s going to stay above freezing.

with that said, we can back from Christmas to a 40-something degree house and it took forever to warm the rooms up. The memory foam mattress was cold and hard. We had plenty of time before bed for things to warm up, but something we need to be aware of.
Because that's what I want to do.

I refuse to be cold in my own house,
^ (y) My 3 year old Trane 2 stage 100,000 btu NG furnace has performed perfectly so far. My NG bill gives me my gas usage history for the last 12 months. One year ago, ( i have a 50 gallon gas hot water heater as well) I used 52 therms in a 32 day billing cycle with the avg temp being 50 degrees and the total bill was $95.21. Current bill is showing 52 therms in a 30 day billing cycle with an average temperature of 49 degrees F with the total bill being $110.09. A “monthly charge of $10” and state tax of $7.20 subtracted from the total bill reveals that my total charge for NG usage was actually $92.89. Even with 2 fewer days this billing cycle my bill increased by only $15. My 3,000 sf ranch was built in 1970 and has a 1,400 sf basement/garage/workshop that is currently at 60 degrees F. I bought it in 1994 and one of the first things I had done was insulate the attic with blown in insulation over the existing fiberglass batting. For roughly $3 a day, I have no qualms about nudging the thermostat a degree or 3 to keep you know who warm and cozy, and I refuse to sit wrapped up in an electric whatever to stay warm when I can touch a thermostat and stay toasty. If I lived in Buffalo or Bangor or Fargo I might feel differently but I doubt it.

I‘ve been spoiled by the kind of shower control valve that is just a single handle. Pull for water, push to turn it off, rotate to change temperature mix. At our old place, the shower/tub had two valves and the hot was extremely finicky. I just left the water running there.
Mine are single handed too.

68 on all three floors during the day, 65 at night. Gas heat. 3 story house with a unit for each floor (third floor is a monster ductless/mini-split). In central-VA so nothing crazy w/r to temps (EXCEPT LAST WEEK!!!). If it gets chilly, we just bump it up to 69/70 to get the furness to kick on as gas heat is very warm and almost immediately kills the chill. In the summer AC at 72 on the second/third floors and 74 on first floor. First floor goes up to 75 or more at night (probably can do 80) but second/third stay at 72 basically half of the year.

baseboard has terrible "efficiency"..... yes I know all electric heat is 100%
but look at what you heat.. cold walls, under windows etc.

At least a portable heater heats you or near you.
That's my biggest gripe with the baseboards this place has. The heat takes quite a while to make it from the edges of the room to the rest of the room (particularly the interior wall where the couch would most logically be placed), and I'm sure there's quite a bit of loss to the cold exterior walls. I'd imagine a house would be much harder to heat with baseboards, since there isn't any heat soaking in from neighboring units.

Propane forced air. 69-70 always, unless away for a few days, then down to 67
Why so hot whilst you are away? Housing Tropical caged Birds? Pet Iguana falling off the chandelier?
This is a waste of shared limited resources. I gently suggest that you re-consider.

Got my natural gas bill today. I used 82 units, bill $136.
A $1.30 a unit when for the last several months nat gas has been in the 40-70¢. Most of the time around 50¢. Heat is set at 66-68°

I tell you folks, it's about time for revolt like in France.

We is being hosed.

Last edited:
Back