What’s your thermostat set to any why? Heat source?

Have you tried an electric throw? I know they all have crap reviews, but I’ve been doing OK. I think they’re all around 100W and they out the heat right on you. Hand warmers are key, too!
Yep, that is what I run. Measured it the other day, on a killawatt meter, while breaking in my new inverter. 280W? something like that. I might need to find one with a high/low setting, sometimes all I need is a gentle warm breeze.

Having a throw rug beneath my feet helped, basement floor is concrete of course, with some thin flooring on it. Having two computers running around the clock keeps the room warm, but not the floor, go figure.

Natural Gas - 66 deg ........have a Vornado Heater in case I feel cold .

I unplugged all electrical appliances and a stereo that I dont use to save electricity .

I‘ve tried to keep track of excess parasitic loads, but it’s shown as pretty much inconsequential. By that I mean all of the various transformers for chargers don’t use really anything while not in use. I haven’t gotten to the point of unplugging things like microwaves and clocks yet.

Hydronic natural gas boiler system with cast iron radiators, and a combination of mini split and window AC for the three months we need it.

Winter keep the house between 62-65 when home during the day, 60 when not home (short-time) and at night. 50-55 when away longer term.

Summer we keep the house 75-77 depending upon humidity. In the rooms we keep them around 70-72 for maximum sleeping comfort. Sometimes higher.

Usually we have neither heating or cooling operating, and just windows open or shut.

Forgot to add that I have natural gas forced air, 3 furnaces in the main house each with their own thermostat. A 4th in the addition but it stays at 52 unless the in-laws are here, then it’ll be at 75. The house is 8 years old and pretty well insulated. I’m sure I could save some money using electric blankets and hand warmers but I’m not diligent enough for that and the worst gas bill is probably $350 or so, not worth the work or discomfort to save a few hundred dollars for me. I love sleeping when it’s cold, would prefer 60 or so, but that’s not happening as long as I’m married.

Typically 18°C at night and 20-21°C during the day if we're home and it's cold outside. Bump it up about a degree in both cases if it's especially cold (~
For those who work at computers and don't otherwise wish to crank up the thermostat, consider radiant electric heat. I have a parabolic heat dish, and if I'm in the sights of that thing I can tolerate a much lower ambient temperature.

Edited to mention we have a natural gas forced air furnace. Single thermostat/zone in a 3-story ~3000 sqft. house.

I’ve been looking a radiant heaters, but they spear to be way too expensive for what they are.

You do bring up another good point: if we spend a lot of time out in the bitter cold we tend to keep inside temps higher, which may sound a bit counter-intuitive, because even a relatively cold indoor room will feel super warm compared to outside temps. With that said, being so cold that your bones hurt isn’t fun. Coming from 0F to 50F sometimes isn’t enough. In those instances, I might need a 75F room to come out to AFTER I sloooowly, incrementally raise the shower temp to scolding hot temps!

For those who know what it feels like to have the cold seep so deeply into you, you’ll agree that hotter the better!

Forced hot air natural gas. 60 at night. 68 in the morning and between 6 and 9 pm. 64 during the day until I get cold and turn it up to 67.

Hydronic natural gas boiler system with cast iron radiators, and a combination of mini split and window AC for the three months we need it.

Winter keep the house between 62-65 when home during the day, 60 when not home (short-time) and at night. 50-55 when away longer term.

Summer we keep the house 75-77 depending upon humidity. In the rooms we keep them around 70-72 for maximum sleeping comfort. Sometimes higher.

Usually we have neither heating or cooling operating, and just windows open or shut.

I like it!

I also have very old-school thermostats. What I can’t seem to recall is how low modern thermostats allow the thermostat to be set. The ones at work are in the 60s which seems super wasteful if you’re not around.

I like it!

I also have very old-school thermostats. What I can’t seem to recall is how low modern thermostats allow the thermostat to be set. The ones at work are in the 60s which seems super wasteful if you’re not around.
We just run a very basic programmable thermostat for the heat.

Our one downstairs mini split is super efficient and so we will often leave it on as the only hvac for the entire house, which works ok for the downstairs where we are. Then we selectively cook the bedrooms. Works well until a heat wave, then we run more splits and units upstairs and down as needed. But our kitchen mini split is a workhorse between it and some ceiling fans to help keep the downstairs at least dryer.

We have Mitsubishi mini splits, and we are very comfortable at 68-70. Saving a bundle compared to the oil heat it displaced. Natural gas not an option here in a rural area. Propane was a possibility.

1960's house with 2x3 studs so little insulation and a 1990 Trane central air and natural gas furnace. Pretty much don't touch the thermostat all winter so the main level is around 67° during the day and the bedroom drops to 64-65° at night. Run an electric space heater in the lower level office when I'm on the computer. One thing I don't understand is why does 65° inside feel cold but if you are outside it's seems comfortable, and it's not because of the sun.

My preference is 68-70f when home and awake, and 60-62 while asleep or away.

The apartment I’m in now has electric baseboards (three zones - one for the bedroom, one for the kitchen and living room, and one for the bathroom). Since I pick up so much heat through my neighbors’ walls and ceiling, plus big south-facing windows, the temp has been over 60f naturally for essentially the whole winter (often 65f). I tend to leave them off (technically, they’re set at 55f instead of off but they don’t really ever cycle) when I’m not home or am asleep, and bump the living room thermostat up to 70f when I’m home and awake (eating dinner, watching TV, etc.) I haven’t used the bathroom or bedroom heat at all (I like to sleep cold, around 60 or so is ideal).

Doing this for the November 15-December 15 billing cycle left me with electricity usage of under $15, including a fridge, fan at night, some cooking, and lights/chargers.

Speaking of expensive, the one AND ONLY benefit of the electric baseboard we now have is that it’s pretty much bulletproof.

I have a backup gennie and propane Mr Heater emergency heat source, so there’s that…I guess.
baseboard has terrible "efficiency"..... yes I know all electric heat is 100%
but look at what you heat.. cold walls, under windows etc.

At least a portable heater heats you or near you.

72f year round, day and night. I could stand for it to be higher in the summer, but my Wife would kill me if I turned it up. I’m a hot weather person living through the hell that is winter right now. 😒
So far, I have noticed that most replies, minus a couple, are from members from up north. Northerners are far more comfortable in cooler climates than all of us down here, therefore, I believe a cooler house in the winter is more comfy to you guys.
When it gets cold down here, it’s USUALLY a wet, windy cold that is very uncomfortable and I can’t wait to get into my warm home.
It’s hard to do anything when you can’t put your arms down. 🍻
82B79FE6-570B-4719-81BF-5891B7C57021.jpeg

Back