What's your technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fumoto drain valve. Check them out. They will save you time and a mess.

We'll use the Ranger 4x4 for example here. Get engine warm. Wait 15-30 minutes for headers to cool, as you can't help but touch them during filter change. Place catch pan under motor, remove drain plug, curse and remove plug from catch pan about every 4th change when I drop it in, set it to the side threads up, wipe oil from hands. Get a drink of cold beer. Loosen filter with wrench. Remove old filter, making sure gasket came off with it. Pour remaining oil into catch pan and put old filter in a plastic baggie. Pour 1/2 quart new oil into new filter (something I learned here), apply clean oil to new filter gasket. Hand tighten new filter. Get a drink of cool beer. Clean threads on drain plug, check washer, hand tighten it and snug it on with wrench. Add 4 quarts new oil to engine. Install fill cap, start engine, look for leaks and after a minute, shut off. Clean up mess and pour old oil into plastic container for later dump into Advance's waste oil tank. Check oil level. Finish warm beer.
cheers.gif

Sounds like we are all on the same page, pretty much. I have noted that when I loosen the filter on my 4.3 Silverado a surge of oil from the galleries is released out the pan drain, so if you replaced the plug before changing the filter you are not getting all the old oil out.

1. Slide old dirty plastic pan under Fumoto Drain Valve.

2. Neighbor comes to shed and we talk about cattle fencing, wheat prices, hay harvest, lubrication, and Martina McBride.

3. Go back to Garage and finally remember to open Fumoto drain valve.
dunno.gif

3. err, 4. Go to shed and mix dangerous chemicals for July Fourth.
gr_eek2.gif

5. Back to garage and remove filter and drain and maybe remember to close Fumoto drain valve.

6. Refill with oil. Check dipstick. Start engine and hope for the best.

7. Back to shed to mix racing oil and gear lube for weekend race.

8. Neighbor borrows tools for fencing job. We talk about 110 degree Heat Index and Nicole Kidman. (Ah, finally a cool day in Doo-Dah Land!)

9. Back to garage to shut off engine after a 20 minute idle.

10. Grandson asks, "Grandpa, ya think that welder there could light this fuse?"
nono.gif

11. Shut-off circuit breaker to Welder.

12. Empty oil pan after once favorite dog has made little black paw prints in garage.

13. Grandson and I go to shade and have a Lemonade Brewski and talk about....

patriot.gif

1. Remove filler cap.
2. Remove drain plug.
3. Take oil sample.
4. Remove old filter.
5. Wipe off filter mount.
6. Oil gasket then install new filter.
7. Lube chassis.
8. Roatate tires (every other oil change).
9. Replace drain plug.
10. Install new oil.
11. Start up, check oil pressure gauge.
12. Shut down, check for leaks.
13. Mail oil sample.
14. Gin and tonic.

1. Get the motor warm.
2. Round up 36 mm socket, Pela Oil Extractor, filter and oil.
3. Insert oil extractor tube into dipstick tube.
4. Pump oil extractor 15 times.
5. Remove oil filter cap and remove old oil filter and o-ring.
6. Insert new oil filter and o-ring, and reinstall oil filter cap.
7. Pour in 7 fresh quarts.
8. Empty oil extractor into 5 gal. container.
9. Insert dipstick and check oil level.
10. Put away 36mm socket and oil extractor.

Here is what I did today with my sister's oil change:

1.drove 33 miles to her work to pick up her car
2.drove 33 miles home to my house
3.put up on ramps immediately
4.took off drain plug
5.waited 30 seconds and took sample
6.got in my wife's car and drove the sample to the lab
7.came home and put drain plug back in (45min had elapsed)
8.removed old filter
9.put on new filter
10.poured in 4 liters of German 0w30 Castrol (no funnel needed this time)
smile.gif

11.cleaned up the garage and wiped the sweat off my brow, it's well over 100F with the humidex today
12.wait patiently for the first UOA of this new oil

1. run car on freeway before comming home.
2. put in garage and jack it up and put some stands.
3. open the drain plug and cap
4. open a soda
5. inspect engine
6. (after 10 minutes) plug the drain plug and take off the oil filter and then release the drain plug again...by this time the oil filter is cool enough.
7. replace filter and drain plug and then fill with oil.
8. clean up mess...of course check fluid level later and any other fluids.

TAdA! an oil change

Maybe it's only because our winds are between 10 and 40 mph every day, but I would never leave the drain plug out more than absolutely necesary.
Drain it hot, wait while changing the filter, and the rest is history.
-Personally I do it easier yet...... I have someone on staff to change it.

Minimize time engine is open to atmosphere. If it hasn't drained out in 5-10 minutes (while I get old/new filters done), then it isn't relevant.

An engine has its' own internal chemical atmosphere which I don't want to mess with any more than necessary: not moisture condensation nor dust being pulled into the cooling motor can ever be a good idea at the expense of a few drops of oil. It is a sealed system and I want to leave it that way.

This is but one of the reasons I am doing analysis in order to run 7.5k comfortably. If I still ran 3-mos/3k, that would mean breaking the seal almost nine times annually at current usage, versus 3-1/2 times otherwise.

Auto-Rx eliminates the other problems with 25k serivce.

Plus, since we all run good oil/filters/lube service intervals around here, what's the point of leaving it open longer?

quote:

Originally posted by mrchecker:
I'm a member of the hot oil change camp, so it's pretty thin when I pull the plug. I'd be afraid to leave the truck all buttoned up with no oil in it, I might get distracted and forget.

Yup! Me too. In fact I've got exhaust manifold burns to prove it. I hate it when that happens.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Fumoto drain valve. Check them out. They will save you time and a mess.

I'm ordering a couple of those for my vehicles. It should save time and as you mentioned eliminate the mess.
grin.gif

quote:

Plus, since we all run good oil/filters/lube service intervals around here, what's the point of leaving it open longer?

I do it for two reasons. One, it gives the oil filter (and surrounding hot exhaust parts) a chance to cool down. And two, by getting rid of most of the dirty oil, it doesn't taint the next oil analysis with previous wear metals.

Get the engine hot with a drive of 5-10 miles
On the way back get a 6 pack!
Jack up the car onto jackstands
Pull plug and let her drain
Drink Beer #1
Fire up the air compressor and put it into oil fill hole and let her rip! Gets a crap load of old oil out of the engine.
Lower car to drain out oil that may not have come out due to car being on jackstands.
Empty catch pan into 5 gal Thompson's water seal container.
Drink Beer #2
Remove old filter
Clean up mounting base.
Fill new oil filter and install
Put drain plug back in and tighten
Drink Beer #3 while filling engine with the Green Schaeffer oil!
Start and check for leaks

Relax and drink the 3 remaining beers!
cheers.gif

1./ Jack car up and put on jackstands. Leave floorjack on side as oil drain.2./ Remove oil filler cap and oil dip stick to allow free flow of oil.Then remove oil drain bolt. Drain oil hot. When oil flow has slowed somewhat, remove oil filter. Use wrench if necessary. Clean area where oil filter seats. Push hidden button in oil filter base to allow another 1/2 tsp to drain. Now get out from under car and carefully remove one jackstand and using the floorjack, allow one side of car to settle to floor. This tilts car and allows rest of oil to drain. Now you can again jack the car up and reinstall jack stand. Clean and install drain plug. 3./ Install new oil filter by: Fill 1/2 to 2/3 full with fresh oil. Coat gasket with fresh oil. Do not use an oil filter wrench to tighten. Tighten only by hand. K & N is the exception with their nut on-the-bottom. My AC/Delco says turn 3/4 to 1 turn after gasket contacts seat.
4./ Add new oil to oil filler tube with clean funnel. Reinstall cap and check level with dip stick. Run engine and check for leaks.

I dont think that letting the pan drain overnight is a good idea. If the pump loses it's prime it can be a real hassle to get it primed again.

Prolly not to common these days but I drive older junkers.

Hot engine. Park in the driveway. Remove plug, while it's draining I find the new filter and the new oil.

After 10 minutes or so of draining I put the plug back in and remove the old filter. I fill the filter as much as possible and screw it on.

Then fill the engine with oil and start it.

What everyone else says, plus the following options:

1. Drive up on rhino ramps. Forget to clean last oil change off of polished concrete garage floor. Slide rhino ramps, maybe even drop the car on one side. Put sticky-backed sandpaper under ramps and try again. Works (yay!)

2. Forget to change into my oil change shirt. Get **** from wife. drain oil into catch pan. Remember after dropping drain plug into pan and fishing it out that I have rubber gloves to keep my hands and fingernails clean. Try to clean my hands after the fact and put gloves on.

cheers.gif

1. Get engine warm. Not neccesarily hot, but enough to stir up anything that settled.

2. Throw kids some new sandbox toys.

3. Grab something cold to drink.

4. Throw oil drain pan under SHO; unscrew oil drain plug.

5. Wipe plug clean, let oil drain for ~10 minutes.

6. Install drain plug, move on to oil filter. Remove filter, let drain in oil pan for ~10 minutes.

7. Install new oil filter (fill new filter w/ ~half a quart of oil, new oil on gasket).

8. Dump 5 quarts Castrol GTX into crankcase.

9. Start 'er up, let idle, check for leaks, ect.

10. Repeat every 3000 miles. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back