What's your preferred tire pressure?

Depends on what type of vehicle?
My 3/4 ton suburban is 60 psi.

My suggestion is when asking question, specify what type of car it is, truck, suv, small sedan, large sedan, pickup truck, full size truck, etc.?

I tend to stick with the placard.
my placard says 38. and i can definitely feel a difference when it gets down to say 36.

I get the rationale for going a few above, esp in cold weather, but i have a thin margin to thread there...
the placard pressure is 38psi, my tire's max pressure is only 44psi... (Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring)

the next set i'm eyeballing the max is all the way up at 50. the snowfall the next couple days will tell me how soon i'll be changing tires.

Placard +2.

It is enough to account for the temperature changes between daytime and nighttime and generally will not cause issues with tpms and ride quality.

Reactions: FZ1
On my FWD hatchbacks, driving on rough city streets, little or no load in back, I run placard front, 4 psi below placard rear.
On highway trips with suitcases I raise the back to placard.

My Passat door sticker says 35 and I use 36-36.5. The Alltrack calls for 38 psi on the door sticker and again I run about a pound to a pound and a half higher. I like the handling better but I cannot say it makes a difference in gas mileage.
Same here... placard for front/rear states 35 and I do 36-36.5 year round. On my 3rd set since the car was brand new and they have worn very evenly since day 1 and rotated every 8-9K miles on average, every other oil change. I'd much rather have a bit too much than too low, especially to offset cold weather bouts/TPMS.

Just a few tidbits to spice up the conversation:

Did you know that the max pressure listed on the sidewall of a tire is sort of arbitrary? Did you notice that there are only 3 values for SL Passenger car tires - 35, 44, and 51 psi? And only 2 for XL's - 41 and 50 psi?

I go into more detail here: Barry's Tire Tech

Did you know that regardless of the max pressure, the load table is the same?

Did you know that vehicle manufacturers do all their vehicle testing at the placard pressure regardless of what make and model of tire is on the vehicle? And so do the tire manufacturers?

And did you know that you can find some exceptions to the above, but those could be considered mistakes?

I usually try for 2 pounds higher than the door placard. The trouble is that the streets here are so blasted and shattered, doing that can sometimes make for an unpleasant ride. I could leave it higher for "winter," except that even in winter (i.e., Jan. - March), the temperatures roll up and down: 55 one day, 75 2 days later.

On the truck I have found 36psi to be optimal. Good compromise of ride comfort and firm enough for good steering feel.

The cycle get 36f 42 rear. I like them softer is the rear suspension is set soft (no preload), If I have the shock set for more aggressive riding, then they both get two psi extra.

36F 34R Tacoma, 32 FR Pilot.
When I had my Tacoma I always would run the rears with less pressure. IIRC the placard recommended 1 psi less. I ran my rears 3 psi less than the fronts. Found that it really reduced understeer and the front tires always looked square, right up to their demise thanks to the reduced stress on the outer edges.

Back