What's your preferred tire pressure?

I tend to run 2-4psi above sticker. But when my destination is sea level, I need to run 3psi above that.

Whatever results in even wear. Extremely variable depending on vehicle and tires. One exception is maximum pressure when towing.

When I had my Tacoma I always would run the rears with less pressure. IIRC the placard recommended 1 psi less. I ran my rears 3 psi less than the fronts. Found that it really reduced understeer and the front tires always looked square, right up to their demise thanks to the reduced stress on the outer edges.
Same for my F150s; 2psi difference between front and rear.

My cars seem to do well with 32. I usually like how they feel with more air, sometimes they get even wear at 35 or 36, but the last batch seem fine at 30-32 psi (which matches the door jamb). I did pump the rears on my truck up to 40 when I moved, it felt squirrely at 32, no idea on weight but I was pulling a loaded enclosed trailer, so wild guess, it was a lot.

Usually 2-4psi over 'recommended' on new and low mileage tires and will lower pressure to 'recommended' when tires age, dry up and lose tread.
Usually run 2psi higher in front compared to back tires when driving alone or with a passenger in the front. If car is fully loaded - will bump pressure in the back.

Placard also. I figure a lot went into the manufacturers recommendations especially since the Ford Explorer fiasco of the 90s. Placard will be the safe, best wear, and most comfortable ride. Change tire sizes from factory then all bets are off....

55 PSI for the Silverado w/ LT Toyo HT
50 PSI for the Tundra w/ LT BFG AT's

105 PSI in commercial truck tires.

• On my 2020 CRV EX-L, Honda says 30 rear, 33 front, I've been trying various pressures, 35 all around rides too hard, finally settled on 32 rear, 34 front. No problems with TPMS after calibration at those pressures. Tire wear (rotating front to rear, etc every 5k) has been very even. Tires are Michelin Crossclimate II's 235/60/18 and are directional so can't be cross-rotated without some cost, probably will do that once at some time.

Back