What’s your filter for beater car/ seldom driven vehicle?

During the winter months, the Eclipse get the cheapest USA made filter I can find. Usually its a Supertech or a Hastings (maybe a Napa Platinum if i get them on sale). During Car show / Convertible season, its either a mid grade (Tough Guard, ect) or a Premium ( RP ) and depending on how i like those filters is whether or not they will get used on the Focus and 200.

Good filters in the USA are dirt cheap (I pay $15 odd USD in Oz for a filter in my daily driver/beater). If you need the car to be reliable and for peace of mind, why not just fork out the $10 odd dollars it costs for a quality filter over there (if not less)? I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but I don't get the reasoning behind arguing over a buck or five?

Not that this thread in particular is evidence of that, but many posts on BITOG has people quibbling over whether to buy a $5 mid range or $10 premium filter?

Last edited:
I only drive my PU about 3000-3500 miles a year if that. I'm using a Fram Ultra filter, but I'm replacing it every other (annual) oil change. Doesn't cost more than using a cheaper mid range filter every year.

Just bought my "beater" a couple of months ago. Wasn't sure when the last time it had an oil change. So, I gave it a VIOC run 2 weeks ago, and it got a Valvoline VO-55 jobber filter with dino oil. Next change will probably be synthetic with a Fram Tough Guard. I like the TGs for a $7.00 filter. They seem to do well for a 5000-7500 mile interval.

Last edited:
I stick with what I deem good quality products even in my beaters. Just because it’s a beater doesn’t mean I don’t want it to last. My mileage getter Tercel gets a wix 51394 and Schaeffer 5w40. My 86 Chevy work/farm truck gets MFA 10w30 and a Wix or Baldwin filter. I run the 2 quart filters on it, totally unnecessary but makes me feel better.

Anything that’s reasonably priced for a beater. I don’t like leaving a oil filter on for more than a year regardless of brand.

My primary vehicles for the last approx 200k-225k miles used Fram quite successfully, until I learned they will self destruct and blow up the neighborhood and cause civil unrest and tsunamis.

Then I stopped using Fram probably a couple years ago and switched over to Mobile 1, Motorcraft, Wix, and Denso primarily. Now I'm learning that the MC820S will probably destroy my car, kill my dog, poison the water table, collapse the economy, crack the moon, reverse the magnetic poles, cause a rip in the time space continuum, and allow China to rule the world...

So I don't know. I am sorta worried to use anything at this point. I might try not using an oil filter ...

My primary vehicles for the last approx 200k-225k miles used Fram quite successfully, until I learned they will self destruct and blow up the neighborhood and cause civil unrest and tsunamis.
Because of one instance out of multi-millions, and not even in a spreadsheet, lol.

Ha! I run 5K changes on just 'bout every vehicle I own, so I don't sweat oil filters too much. In fact, I just bought a Fram Extra Guard at a garage sale the other day for fifty cents. That will give me 5K miles of extra driving pleasure, knowing I saved a 10th of a cent per mile, LOL.

Yup, and I'm sarcastically pointing out the absurd stupidity of my own decisions... tongue in cheek.
Go read the oil filter forum starting back in 2014 and get back to us. I'm sure nobody really cares what filters you use.

Go read the oil filter forum starting back in 2014 and get back to us. I'm sure nobody really cares what filters you use.

How about a big fat "NO." 10 reported "alleged" bad filters without a single proven resulting damaged engine is 100% uncompelling, and not worth my time. The hysteria about this is remarkable. There's probably tens of millions of filters performing exactly as intended right now. And you want me to go fine 10 complaints of torn media with many variables including sabotage by the person posting it. Get real.

I just watched a unedited video of a cut open. Extremely high quality design and materials. I'm 100% convinced this FORD RECOMMENDED filter is fantastic.

Sure, LoL ... keep on the blind cheerleading, it's like hearing someone try to convince others that the Earth is flat because they didn't ever see it round with their own eyes.

We had a S70 beater, was using Champ filters on it. Worked fine for me. Cut one open and nothing torn. Was going 5k OCIs.

Back