What's your favorite oil/filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year or so, Castrol EDGE and FRAM Ultra. Girlfriends 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee needs another change of this soon, with the oversize FRAM Ultra TG8(dont think TG is correct for the Ultra though).

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Back in the 70's it was fram or lee for me also and oil was 10w40 pennzoil every 1500-2000 miles and lots of sludge. Pennzoil is much better now.

I had the same problem with QS in the 60s even with 2K OCIs. OIL? M1, and have been using MC filters for 3-4 years now.

Redline
Napa Platinum

KEEP IT ON TOPIC (oil, filter) so that someone, not me, can keep track them with Google Doc's spreadsheet with the results and post them yearly in January.

I've switched all my vehicles over to Wix, except I'm running a Purolator Syn on the old white van at the moment. I got it from work cheap and I figure I'll run it for two intervals, then go back to Wix.

Wix just has such solid construction. Tough cans, even pleat spacing, generous amount of media.

Favorite oil? Don't think I have one. I hardly ever use the same oil twice in anything.

Last edited:
Currently using Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 and Baldwin Oil Filter #B7243 ... don't really have a favorite motor oil or filter, but FRAM Ultra is probably the best filter I have used

PP 0W20 or 5w20
P1 filter until my stash is depleated (3 left). After that most likely Wix. That's for my 2005 CRV and 2007 Odyssey

Castrol GTX HM 5w30 and Motorcraft FL1A for my 88 5.0 LX.

Mostly I used Pennzoil Platinum oil or Mobil (which is what the truck has right now).

At the risk of being stereotyped a "Wix fan boy" by certain people - I've started using Napa Gold on all vehicles except the Camry got a Fram Ultra last oil change.
smile.gif

Depends on the vehicle.
For my Chevelle, Brad Penn 10w30 with a Wix filter. For any of my daily drivers, Mobil 1 High Mileage with a Wix filter.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Back in the 70's it was fram or lee for me also and oil was 10w40 pennzoil every 1500-2000 miles and lots of sludge. Pennzoil is much better now.

Those Lee Maxi filters were the first ones I used as a young DIYer in the 1970's. Bought them at my local Penn Jersey store in suburban Philly. At that time, I used Kendall, Quaker State and Wolfs Head. Now I like Baldwin and Hastings filters and Quaker State and Pennzoil motor oils.

I have lots of favorite oils, too many to mention, but from a value and availability viewpoint it would be TGMO in a 20 grade and M1 0W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40 in the 40 grade.
I also like QS Defy 5W-20 and 5W-30 as cheap readily available high ZDDP oils for older older engines.

My favorite canister type oil filters are Mobil and WIX XP for their synthetic media and preferred by-pass design.

Does the amsoil filters have a cheap design? They have a leaf spring instead of a coil spring to attach filter to housing..

Thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back