What's your favorite oil/filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic 5w30 and Fram Ultra - wish my older two cars didn't leak/burn oil or I'd use Amsoil SSO in them as well.

On cars with an OLM or like Honda's MM, I like to use either Maxlife syn blend, or the cheapest synthetic on sale. For the filter, Napa Gold/Wix. I LOVE the P1 texture grip, but the tearing issue hurts.

I have not changed the oil on a 2011+ GM car that requires dexos, but if I did, then I'd just use the cheapest dexos on sale (usually the $20 syn on sale) and a Wix.

Without an OLM:
My favorite oil now is Castrol 0w30. I used to have M1 AFE 0w30 on the list, as a co-favorite, but the recent ACEA downgrades across the M1 lineup caused me to rescind that. (all the 30-wt M1's went from A5/B5 to just A1/B1). The Castrol 0w30 remains A3/B4; availability is a problem, though. Walmart needs to sell Castrol 0w30.

I also like Maxlife Synthetic.

My favorite filter is the Purolator synthetic due to the awesome textured grip, and it doesn't tear like like the P1 and Classic. Once Purolator resolves the tearing issues, I'll be happy to use the P1 again.

I'm happy with all the extended filters, M1, D+, Fram ultra, and Napa Platinum/Wix XP. I like the extended OCI.

On the beater car,
any 5W-30 full synthetic oil
usually bought for under $2 a quart,
and non e-core filter, also under $2...

Other cars use oils with specifications,
MB 229.5, and Dexos 1...
I use an upper level filter with these,
a Purolator PureOne, Mobil 1, Fram Ultra, Bosch Distance Plus...

I use an oversize filter if possible...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Pennzoil Ultra
Fram Ultra

great combo! One of my favorites for sure.

here is a cheaper version of yours I am using in my truck and I like it. Also not my first time with this combo. I can get it for about 12$ and do the truck or car. When I do the car I have half a litre left though. nice for ope top ups.

pyb
fram orange can

Originally Posted By: abycat
Pennzoil Ultra
Fram Ultra

here is a cheaper version of yours I am using in my truck and I like it. Also not my first time with this combo. I can get it for about 12$ and do the truck or car. When I do the car I have half a litre left though. nice for ope top ups.

pyb
fram orange can

Indeed that is a great one. I can't seem to find Ultra in any of my local stores, only the PP.

Originally Posted By: Mter00s
Originally Posted By: abycat
Pennzoil Ultra
Fram Ultra

pyb
fram orange can

Indeed that is a great one. I can't seem to find Ultra in any of my local stores, only the PP.

I love the pp. I can get it for 19.xx$ for a 4.4 litre jug. When on sale. darn good for up here. I see the pu lots its just super expensive so its not usually in the sumps.

Most favorite oil is PU. Filters I'm not totally sure yet. Currently running a Fram Ultra for the first time since the P1 I removed had a tear.

I'm a bit of a Valvoline fan boy these days, had nothing but good results since the first time I used their oils so I stuck.
I use Durablend 10w30 or 10w40 in my car now because I've heard good things about it and have seen some good UOAs with it, and also my car loves it
I have a stash of filters including OEM Motorcraft, Ryco Z9 and Valvoline Z01 because they all seem decent quality and are cheap at $5-6 each

I have to say for me it was when they started carrying M1 0w-40 in the 5qt jug at walmart, and I started ordering Mann filters for my Audi.

Coming from buying by the quart I was saving a ton and felt like I was still using top notch product, which of course it is.

For some reason I really like the fact that the Audi takes almost exactly a 5qt jug as well.

The 5qt Jug of Mobil 1 Euro Formula for me then.

I also really like using conventional in my jeep for some reason, it's satisfying to get away from my Audi where the proven quality of M1 Euro and the specific requirements kind of prevent me from experimenting much, besides a 1 OCI fling with Rotella T6

Mobil 1 5W30 and Amsoil EA oil filter.

You can't go wrong with the Fram Ultra filters either.

I am sticking to Mobil until I see some concrete evidence that Pennzoil ultra platinum is better.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

I am sticking to Mobil until I see some concrete evidence that Pennzoil ultra platinum is better.

You won't, or vice versa.

Pennz Platinum
Wix filters
thumbsup2.gif

PP>PYB>MS5K>Kendall
Wix>Napa Gold>Fram Ultra (OEM on one-Hyundai in warranty & TSB on aftermarket filters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back