What’s the ultimate road trip car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the '93 LS400 and the '96 Legend I rode in, back in the day, would've been sublime road trip cars. Surely the LS has only gotten better since then.
Better looking is debatable.

They do have a presence, for better or worse.

IMG_20210320_204855_550.jpg

I've been real happy with my M235i; although the E65 B7 press loaner I drove for a couple of weeks was outstanding.
I really really like the E65. Always liked the Bangle styling, pre and post-facelft. They make updates so you can run the 2010+ iDrive.

i often wonder if the rest of the car can be sorted by the aftermarket or if there are even any clean ones left. The E65 B7 is just perfect.

0ad68ab5-2006-alpina-b7-e65-5.jpg

Three years ago took a road trip with my wife,daughter and son in law in the brand new 2018 Chevy Impala.
Big ,smooth, quiet and powerful(V6 no wimpy 4 banger)
Went from Denver to Vegas to L.A. to San Diego then back to L.A. and Vegas then Denver.
I spent the whole trip in the back seat and enjoyed every minute of the ride.
A great road car.

I really really like the E65. Always liked the Bangle styling, pre and post-facelft. They make updates so you can run the 2010+ iDrive.

i often wonder if the rest of the car can be sorted by the aftermarket or if there are even any clean ones left. The E65 B7 is just perfect.

View attachment 64978
Here's "my" B7 at Motorsport Ranch:
1627343177686.jpg

1627342383058.png

Last edited:
Three years ago took a road trip with my wife,daughter and son in law in the brand new 2018 Chevy Impala.
Big ,smooth, quiet and powerful(V6 no wimpy 4 banger)
Went from Denver to Vegas to L.A. to San Diego then back to L.A. and Vegas then Denver.
I spent the whole trip in the back seat and enjoyed every minute of the ride.
A great road car.
Thought of that when I saw one today … drove a rental - Premium I think ? From Houston to New Orleans … nice road car for the money … had a V6 …

BMW 5/7 series or Benz E/S Class, they are designed for this exactly in mind. Can drive my E39 all day and not feel exhausted one bit. Also drove a 2018 E200 wagon all over Europe, would sit on the Autobahn at 120-130 mph just wafting along like it may as well have been 70 mph.

If you have to go off the beaten path, then I would put a Land Cruiser high on the list.

Out of the vehicles I’ve owned I’d say my truck, but the 300 is very close. The seat in the van makes my butt go numb after awhile, but I’m a firm believer that you need to “break in” your seat to your body for peak comfort… plus after 60mph the van is gutless.

Money no object, I’ve always had a soft spot for Aston Martin.

Last edited:
Here's the thing about road trip cars especially if you plan on driving distance and spending more that a couple days on the road, you need space for your luggage and trip supplies. That means a trunk is a necessity. I've owned wagons and cars with hatches and I would always wish I had a trunk when I took them on a trip.

I did rent a 2020 Impala for a trip close to 2500 miles back in March when my Volvo decided to puke power steering fluid from almost every seal. Considering it was a GM I have to admit it was a nice car for the highway. The 305hp V6 was more than adequate for my needs but again I'm not a real fan of FWD for long highway drives. It did get 35-36 mpg at 65 mph and I wasn't running anywhere close to those speeds, more like 75-80 mph and I got 30-31 mpg. If I needed to rent another car for a long trip my first choice would be another V6 Impala.
1. I attribute the reduction of NVH to the enclosed rear wheel wells. On SUV's and wagons, you have the "exposed" cargo areas. Not so with the sedan and coupe setup.

2. Totally agree with your choice. The Impala V6 is always my go-to when it comes to longer road trips. Too bad they don't make them anymore :(

The LS460 my FIL owned, which I mentioned before, really did shine on the interestate. I was surprised that it didn’t have much hole shot with the big v8 sitting up there, but it was in its element loafing along on the highway. Admittedly, though, the bmw 740 had a far more inviting interior for long stays, if you could handle busted cup holders and inoperative dot matrix displays on the dash.

ive got to drive out of state tomorrow and the f150 is probably getting the nod. While the GS350 is a smooth steer, and the taller OD gears relax well at 75, the 18” wheels and taught steering tend to detract (for me) from the experience - the drivetrain is so amazingly beautiful but the chassis really wants to play and keeps you a little busy at speed. I just about changed my mind and still could. One feature is locking it in 7 or 8 is great because it locks the TC and runs just like a stick, and I appreciate the control on a busier interstate. No cruise control in manual mode though.

moms 1989 accord MT 4 cyl was a shockingly great highway car. Well balanced chassis, nimble but planted. Quiet! Great stereo, and effortless at 75. They lost some of the sweetness of that vehicle somewhere in that DNA.

Im a little loathsome reading about I6 RWD volvos. My P2s were always enjoyed, but the power from the turbo at highway speeds would actually shift the compliant front suspension and change the handling at speed under boost, which I could feel and Did. Not. Like. RWD would have solved all of that!

I’ll 4th or 5th the Lexus LS460. I had a 2007 long wheelbase model but only did a few couple hundred mile trips in it.

If I needed to bring the whole family, the wife’s Suburban is darn comfortable and has plenty of room. Gets decent MPG for what it is and has a nice elevated driving position for seeing over traffic.

I’ve been driving my MIL’s Bentayga while down in Florida and am shocked with how fast it is (0-60 in 3.6ish) and it makes an awesome highway vehicle.

7B5121AE-A4E6-41F6-B2F3-AA74AA55E028.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back