Whats the "thickest" Synth 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Been using Castrol GTX 5w-20 in our 08 Honda Cr-v and it seems to be working pretty well. But the onboard MM has me doing oil changes at around 9k-10k. So I'd like to use a synthetic 5w-20 that's widely available, and not too expensive.

I just did on oil change last night to PP 5w-20 and the lifters seem to be ticking at idle. The sound is barely there but I notice it....my wife doesnt
smirk2.gif
. The filter is a M1.

So whats the thickest synthetic 5w-20?

Originally Posted By: sven98
Hi,

Been using Castrol GTX 5w-20 in our 08 Honda Cr-v and it seems to be working pretty well. But the onboard MM has me doing oil changes at around 9k-10k. So I'd like to use a synthetic 5w-20 that's widely available, and not too expensive.

I just did on oil change last night to PP 5w-20 and the lifters seem to be ticking at idle. The sound is barely there but I notice it....my wife doesnt
smirk2.gif
. The filter is a M1.

So whats the thickest synthetic 5w-20?

Give it some time... When I first switched to PP I had lifter tick and then it went away after 1K miles. Nothing to worry about.

Besides lifter ticking and/or piston slap is not necessarily and indication of excess wear. It's just annoying and gives the impression that damage is being done.
wink.gif

very simple, just mix 5w20 with 5w30. usually the cst ends up around 9.3 or so. or just run PP 5w30, because it has the same cold properties as a conventional 5w20, but a higher cst.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Besides lifter ticking and/or piston slap is not necessarily and indication of excess wear. It's just annoying and gives the impression that damage is being done.
wink.gif

It does give that impression. You're right.

I'd guess for reasonably priced synthetics, Maxlife 5w20 will about as thick as is possible for a 5w20.

I heard that Amsoil SSO 0w30 is really like a thick 20wt and not a true 30wt once put into service. Can one of the Amsoil dealers confirm?

Pablo/Gary are busy duking it out in another thread and may be delayed in answering my post. Go have some lunch or whatever meal time it is in your timezone.
LOL.gif

I will neither confirm nor deny .. (oops ...wrong forum)

Nope. SSO is a solid 30 grade and stays there over the long haul. It falls into the non-atypical 10.3 Cst 100C spec.
21.gif

All of Amsoil's 30 grades, with the exception of HDD (11.3 Cst) fall pretty much between 10.3-10.8

You could always use Royal Purple 10w40 because after about 500 miles it shears to a 5w20.....
crackmeup2.gif

I made myself laugh......
crackmeup2.gif
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
banana2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I heard that Amsoil SSO 0w30 is really like a thick 20wt and not a true 30wt once put into service. Can one of the Amsoil dealers confirm?

I would think Amsoil 0W-30 is closer to a European formula 0W-30, such as German Castrol 0W-30 which are ACEA A3/B3, and not like Mobil 1 0W-30 (which is only A1,B1).

For a "thick" 20W oil, I would just blend my own using mostly 20W and a 20-40% 30W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back