Seeking recommendation: 0W-20 MS-6395 oil for 3.6L Jeep Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, I've got a 2020 3.6L Jeep Rubicon on order and will begin the stockpiling of oil because that's what us folks do.

Chrysler changed the recommend weight from 5W-20 to 0W-20 for its 3.6L Pentastar engines. 5W-20 MS-6395 oils seem cheaper and easier to come by than 0W-20 MS-6395 do. On my last-generation Wrangler I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 for the first change, then Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 on the next change. The difference in lifter noise at startup was drastically reduced by using the Ultra.

I'd be going for the 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum Ultra if it weren't twice the price of other 0W-20 MS-6395 oils.

If you were on the hunt for a 0W-20 MS-6395 oil what would it be?

Last edited:
Congrats on the new Jeep! We are in the same situation on oil, but with a 2.4, in a Renegade. So far, it's had whatever the dealer offered from the free oil changes, Pennzoil Platinum, and right now Rotella Gas Truck. No audible noise difference, in fact, no differences in any of the 3 products that I've noticed. I'll be sending out the sample of Rotella Gas Truck here in a few weeks, will have over 9k miles on it. Curious to see how it has held up.

I would try Ultra Platinum if I could find it at a reasonable price in 0w20. I know someone found some earlier this week for around $18/5 quarts, but it was sold out by the time I found it. Good luck!

And if you go back further, it was spec'd for 5W30. This is the reason I run one of the thickest 5w20's meeting 6395 in our 2016, which is Castrol Titanium Edge EP. Their 0W20 does not meet 6395 though!

Last edited:
any 0w20 meeting the spec will perform well and virtually the same.

I'd probably go PP, Valvoline advanced, QSUD if it were my choice given those three are easy to find available and meet the Chrysler spec.

I would give Shell Rotella Gas Truck Synthetic a try.
Our Wrangler is 2012 with 100,000 plus miles. Have used 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum since it was new with no issues.

Agreed Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 MS-6395 oil is very good. Lots of moly in that one, some of Shell's latest thinking, meets dexos1 which is a tougher spec than MS-6395.
https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/pro...18/rotella-gas-truck-0w-20-sellsheet.pdf

Very cheap if you get it at Walmart (OK, Boulder is anti-Walmart, never let it in, yet neighboring towns have one) and apply the $10 rebate on 5-quart jugs.
https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/cou...s/save-up-to-10-dollar-per-5-quarts.html

Assuming Jeep FCA won't really care if its MS-6395, since they must know its a lowly plebian spec, there is Walmart's Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0w-20 which meets one of the toughest 0w-20 specs on the planet: Mercedes 229.71 Makes it the best value at the highest performance available. Surely Jeep warranty wonks won't mind if it ever came to that.
(note: 229.71 isn't on the bottles-jugs, only Mercedes says it meets 229.71, oddly, probably due to business marketing distribution agreements.)

Originally Posted by Silver
And if you go back further, it was spec'd for 5W30. This is the reason I run one of the thickest 5w20's meeting 6395 in our 2016, which is Castrol Titanium Edge EP. Their 0W20 does not meet 6395 though!

No, it wasn't. This is a gen 2 Pentastar that has had significant reworking of the upper end. It was spec'd for 0w20 from the start when it first appeared in the Grand Cherokee.

I've been running Mobil 1 AP 0w20 in mine, with one run of EP and one run of Ultra Platinum. It is back to AP now and I'll probably keep running it until they discontinue it, then it'll be EP again.

Another option if 6395 is a deal breaker for you is Havoline Pro DS 0w20.

Last edited:
Mag1 Full Synthetic

17$ for 5qts plus free shipping. Meets MS6395, Im not one to run after rebates therefore it would be my first off the shelf choice of 0w20 as it's slightly cheaper than QSUD. It's also Dexos 1 Gen 2, so its definitely not a "junk oil"

https://www.govets.com/maintenance-.../engine-oil-0w-20-full-synthetic-5qt-en/

Pair it with a Baldwin P9600

https://www.govets.com/maintenance-...tive-oil-filters/oil-filter-6-5-32-l-en/

Note: if you're not into ordering oil, QSUD 0w20 would be my next choice, and can usually be had at walmart for

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
MS-6395 isn't anything special. Run pretty much any 0w20 you want.

Agreed. I've ran PP, Valvoline full syn and Super Tech in FCA's 3.6, 3.2, and 5.7 (all with 5k oci's) and never noticed any of them doing better or worse overall in any fashion. UOA's were all fine. Never an issue. Run any reputable oil and it will do fine.

Originally Posted by DrivinWest

I'd be going for the 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum Ultra if it weren't twice the price of other 0W-20 MS-6395 oils.

I can't figure out why 0W-20 PUP is twice the cost of 5W-20/30 PUP. It just can't be that special/different/better/etc.

That being said, I am going to run 50/50 PP 0W-20 and PP 5W-20 in my wife's 2017 3.6L. Should put viscosity at the upper end of an SAE 20 grade at temperature and in the middle range of SAE 20 grade after mild fuel dilution is taken into account. As I am in the deep south I feel that 0W is unnecessary 99.9% of the time, and to boot the fuel dilution probably lowers the winter rating as well.

Last edited:
LC said:
I would give Shell Rotella Gas Truck Synthetic a try.

Thanks to all for the recommendations! Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 does seem pretty well regarded and at $22 at Walmart is pretty hard to beat. I'll likely go that route at the first oil change.

Just pick whatever floats your boat. I am on my third oil fill in my Gladiator. Ran the factory fill 0W-20 out to 5K and changed it to5tW-30 with no issue. Now running whatever dealer bulk 0W-20 for the current fill and will probably stick to that for the winter and may explore running 5W-30 again in the Spring/Summer.

I appreciate all the direction! I've got my first two changes planned:

I just picked 2 5QT jugs of Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic Engine Oil 0W-20, 5 Quart for 2 x $21.57 at Walmart.
I got a pair of Mopar 68191349AC oil filters shipped for $7.37 each.

Accounting for the $10 rebate on the oil per jug, my first two oil changes should only cost me $18.94 each. Not too shabby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back