5w-20...which of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just talking with my neighbor this AM. He has a 2001 Chevy truck with the cold start knock. About 2 + weeks ago, he got po'd and changed the oil in his truck to 10W-40 synthetic. Said he tried all the dealer BS suggestions and the noise never went away. He tried the 5W-30, 0W-30 reg and synthetic for almost 30,000 miles. Every AM it would knock for anywhere from a minute to 10 minutes. Once he installed the 10W-40, it still knocked for about 2 times and all of sudden its not doing it anymore. I was out blowing snow this AM -2 F when he started it up and I never heard any noise at all.

l have to see if this lasts or is a fluke. he told me it has been quite for over a week or so, he uses it every day. He also went with a different brand of oil filter too. He seems convinced the light weight oils are the reasaon for these noise's.

PS-Chevy gave him a 100,000 mile engine warranty for the problem

[ February 10, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
OK, thx. I'm going to see if Wally World has any GTX 5-20 or even Honda 5-20

Mikep

MikeP, you can only get the Honda 5W20 at Honda or Acura dealers. I get it at a good price, my friend works at the Acura dealership, he is the parts manager. Did you see this virgin sample of Honda 5W20? It's got a good dose of Moly in it :

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000031

-Joe

Yep, saw that VOA which is why Honda is on the short list. Looks like good stuff and a very stout 20W....bordering on a 30W.

I don't think the Mobil Drive Clean and Honda oils are the same. The Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20 has cST @100 of 8.3 which is not anywhere near the Honda spec.

I'd rather not bother with additives at this point but I do appreciate the suggestion.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Mike,

Get the 5W-20 at your dealer, then when home add a pint of Schaeffer #132 Extreme Pressure Oil Treatment http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/132.html

Also contact Terry and ask his opinion of adding some Lube Control to your oil.

Your oil will look like 5W-20 on paper and protect like a much more robust oil.

Ken

If you're going to do this, why not just use Redline 5w-20?

Is the Redline 5W-20 API certified? And does it meet the Ford oil specification of WSS-M2C153-H required in the owner's manual for warranty certification. Unfortunately for us owners of Ford trucks we best follow to the letter what's required for warranty certification. Ford is trying to save money by denying warranty claims using the flimsiest excuses.

Whimsey

Redline's 5W-20:
"Red Line has a complete line of race oils strictly for use in racing applications. They differ from the Motor Oils in that they contain no detergents and consequently have a slightly better ability to reduce friction, but they are not suitable for long-term street use which sees some low-temperature operation. Red Line Motor Oils still provide lower friction than other commercial lubricants. Race Oils are available as 5WT (0W), 10WT (0W10), 20WT (5W20), 30WT (10W30), 40WT (15W40), 50WT (15W50), 60WT (20W60), 70WT (25W70)."

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Is the Redline 5W-20 API certified? And does it meet the Ford oil specification of WSS-M2C153-H required in the owner's manual for warranty certification. Unfortunately for us owners of Ford trucks we best follow to the letter what's required for warranty certification. Ford is trying to save money by denying warranty claims using the flimsiest excuses.

Whimsey

My point is that if you put in additives like Schaffers 132, you no longer have an API certified oil so you might as well use Redline.

Haven't seen it yet in UOA, but those are very good values and better than many 30w oils that meet api specs.

If I was to use a 5w20 this Redline product and Royal Purple would be high on the list.

I'm brand new to the board and need some guidance from the experienced members. I've read all the notes regarding 5W-20 oil and they have me interested to find out if I should continue using 5W-20 in my 2002 4.6L. I'm ready to submit a 5W-20 oil sample to Blackstone and want to be sure I'm not missing important information due to my inexperience. I have received the test kits and plan on sending a virgin sample as well. What information should I send to Blackstone with my oil samples? I would appreciate your help and guidance.

H20024.6L ,
Tell Blackstone you want Blackstone Labs & Dyson Analysis Package Code #46 .Terry will answer all the questions personally.
Cotact Terry here Dyson Analysis

Mark

Rugerman1
Thanks for the advise, I emailed Dyson. I'll send the samples tomorrow and post the results when I get them back. My 4.6L has 30k miles and I've used AMSOIL 5-20 at 5k intervals since the first change at 1k.

Who needs lubrication? Lubrication is overated. Go for the 5W-20.
crushedcar.gif

Group IV/PAO synthetic 5W-30

The only reason why anyone would use a xW-20 is GAS MILEAGE. I don't care what you say - you're doing it for gas mileage.

That's why its "Ford Approved" and that's why there are only synthetic blend 5W-20s available at the very least. Dino 5W-20 would thin out to **** thin water after 3000 miles.

Bottom line: like your engine? Use xW-30 in place of xW-20.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Group IV/PAO synthetic 5W-30

The only reason why anyone would use a xW-20 is GAS MILEAGE. I don't care what you say - you're doing it for gas mileage.

That's why its "Ford Approved" and that's why there are only synthetic blend 5W-20s available at the very least. Dino 5W-20 would thin out to **** thin water after 3000 miles.

Bottom line: like your engine? Use xW-30 in place of xW-20.

lol.gif

many vehicles can run on this new 20 wt oil. Most of it is group 3 basestock anyway, and have less viscosity improvers then most group 2s. And from oil analysis's, the 20 wts are holding up dang well, so i see no harm in running it where they are recommended. im running gtx 5w20 and a bosch prem. filter, but ill change it at 5000. Basically, stick to your owners manual for the severe service schedule oil change, and you won't have a problem with 20 wts. I would recommend the 0w20 mobil 1 if you are going to change your oil next month when it comes out. Thats what is going in my car next.

In the interest of avoiding any sort of warranty hassle with my dealer it's the viscosity that I need to stick to (and API cert), not so much the brand (i.e. Motorcraft).

I had settled on picking up a case or two of GTX 5w-20 from Wally World when I saw a post about the Royal Purple 5w-20. Hmmm, RP 5w-20 meets the SL/GF-3 spec, satisfies the viscosity concerns of my dealer and is API certified and licensed. Plus, comes with some ringing endorsements here. Sounds like a winner.

Does anyone know if the RP 5w-20 meets that wacky Ford -H spec?

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back