What's the one car you regret not buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have liked a Subaru Baja, but I wasn't in the market for second car when the Baja came out. When I was looking for another car, the Baja had been discontinued.

1.jpg

http://checkengine.spb.ru/Subaru/Baja Turbo AWD 2005/1.jpg

'01 Honda Prelude SH in '04. The owner was a weirdo and the sale never went through.

Last edited:
i could have bought a plum crazy purple AAR cuda in the late seventies, almost perfect he wanted $3300, and i would only go $2800.

What a moron!

seriously though, it would have been nice but i didnt need it

Had a chance to buy a Lotus super 7 in the auction once. It sold for $3600! but it had a damaged right front and I thought, where in the world would I ever get parts for that. Later I found out the car only comes AS parts (kit car). So it would have been the easiest thing in the world. Those cars go for around 20kish.

Also missed out on a 70 boss 302 mustang. It wasn't for lack of trying as the car was just collecting dust in a barn and I went like 13 times to try to buy it but guy would not give in. Worked out ok though bought a 65' GTO instead.

I passed up a 92 Nissan Sentra SE-R when I bought my Corolla. Looking back, the SE-R was likely better cared for and would have been a MUCH funner car to drive.

1986 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, new in 1986. I wanted one real bad but could not afford it nor the insurance at the time.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
i could have bought a plum crazy purple AAR cuda in the late seventies, almost perfect he wanted $3300, and i would only go $2800.

What a moron!

seriously though, it would have been nice but i didnt need it

Whats that worth now? 150K?

last march i went to mopars on the strip out in las vegas, and i would guess around 50 to 60,000 dollars judging from what i saw there.

it was very interesting and a fun show to go to.

2008 Acura TL.

I REALLY should have bought one this past fall when they were clearing them out to make room for the 2009 redesign.

For $28k (at the time), you could not find a better car for the money.

67 Corvette in 1987. It had a 427 engine and a rock-crusher M22 4 speed transmission. It was on a dirt-lot "crazy larry's" type used car lot. They wanted $8,000.

I was in 1st year university and could only dream. My only wheels at the time was my bike, and I could barely afford kraft dinner, let alone a car, let alone gas for a big-block corvette. I used to ride past it on my way home from classes.

It just wasn't in style at the time. Everybody wanted the '87 Mustang GT. I often wonder what it would be worth today.

Mine was just on eBay. I wanted this truck bad...
2589_4.jpg

New Ranger XL 4x4 regular cab, 3.0 V6, 5-speed manual, blue, all the right options. However, I won't get rid of my '02 and I only have room and money for one vehicle right now. If I didn't like the '02 so much, I think I would have hit "Buy It Now."

Yes, the one vehicle I regret not buying is an oddly optioned Ranger. What can I say. A close second would be some of the clean, low mileage, garage queen Broncos I have come across.

Looked at a nice olds intrigue. Guy wanted $975, I offered 900, his voice cracked like he was going to cry, and countered "$1050!"

I really wanted the car, so I started grovelling, "sir, I'm sorry I offended you, I have 975, lets do this", whipped out a wad of money. He ran towards his condo bawling, "if you want to play games, then let's play games! $1050!"

He and the car were two hours away, I had an angry ride home.

Happy ending, the next day another deal fell through (maybe because he was c-r-a-z-y) and he emailed me and let me have it for his asking price.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Looked at a nice olds intrigue. Guy wanted $975, I offered 900, his voice cracked like he was going to cry, and countered "$1050!"

Always cracks me up when sellers get easily offended by low offers, and your offer was hardly low. Unless he said his prices was firm, there's no reason anyone should get offended. People who get their panties in a knot shouldn't be selling as "OBO" in the first place.

I wanted this Red 1992 Thunderbird 3.8 SC back before I graduated HS in 06. It was a Manual, low miles. Leather. Looked like it was garaged and well taken care of. I dont remember the price but by the time I got the money it was gone...

When I purchased my 1995 Honda Civic pretty much new at age 22 I really wanted a three year older VW Corrado SLC(VR6) for the same price. For a VW I found out quite reliable in that vintage.

I still regret that 1995 Civic purchase, Civic most overrated/hyped car. I will say though I gave up maintenance except oil changes(LOF @ Walmart $14.99) after 100k when I changed timing belt and did maintenance. I sold it with a conscious running okay with 225k with overdue timing belt and in dire need some other items. I recommended to all potential buyers they pay a mechanic for check over before purchase which my final purchaser ignored.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I would have liked a Subaru Baja, but I wasn't in the market for second car when the Baja came out. When I was looking for another car, the Baja had been discontinued.

Bored a few nights ago I was looking at Subaru sales for 2008(which went up slightly). They actually sold 2 Baja's for the entire year of 2008. The sales were down some like 99.x% since they sold 3 in 2007.

You missed your chance :)

Two Benzes. One was an '84 300D, the venerable turbodiesel-powered W123 sedan, in red with a palomino interior. In late 1997 I drove it as a loaner for a couple of days, and while it was kind of slow at Denver's altitude unless you downshifted and kicked it, it was solid, as though carved out of a single block of steel. Such was the quality of MBs in those days.

The second was from the same dealer, an '84 or '85 500SEC, the big coupe. This one was a sapphire-like blue with gray lower body cladding and light gray interior. The first Benz I ever test drove, by the way. Both cars were in top shape, this dealer never sold anything that was shabby.

Darn. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back