What's the Best Mineral 15w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with Long-Life now going "molyless", what do you think is the best mineral HDEO 15w-40?

Delo 400
Delvac 1300
Rotella-T

I would add Delvac Super, Delvac MX and Delo 400 to the top of my list, very close call when it comes to performance, the Delvac has slightly better shear strength IMHO.

With my last oil change I used 3 qts of Mobil 1 Truck & SUV (Delvac 1 I guess) and 9 qts of Delvac 1300. When I use to use either dealer oil or straight Delvac 1300 I seemed to have more tickety-clackety noises, more so at 3000 miles, and it's quieter with the blend. The last oil I used was Exxon XD-3 Elite, a synthetic blend, which seemed even a bit quieter, but I couldn't find it local anymore.

I'll be trying the Delvac 1 and 1300 blend in the cars next, a couple of Taurus sedans, as it seems that a 5w-40 and 15-40w can be blended to around a 10w-40, which shouldn't be too thick for 3 season use.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
So with Long-Life now going "molyless", what do you think is the best mineral HDEO 15w-40?

Delo 400
Delvac 1300
Rotella-T

Motorcraft 15W-40 looks super-duper-killer. I wanna try it in my Z28!
Anyone knows what group this oil is?
Thanks

Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

Delo 400
Delvac 1300
Rotella-T

Motorcraft 15W-40 looks super-duper-killer. I wanna try it in my Z28!
Anyone knows what group this oil is?
Thanks

Rick

The Motorcraft website mentions hydrocracking, but doesn't specifically link it with this oil. It also says that it's rated CG-4/SJ...any thoughts on that guys?

The Delo 400 meets or exceeds CI-4 as well as the Delvac which meets CI-4 making them quite suitable oils for long drains as well as for keeping your engine clean.

Dino HD oils I like:
Delvac 1300/1330
Delo 400

Oils that many people speak highly of:

Schaffers comes highly recommended but I have not tried it!

MotorCraft 15W40 HD

Boron in an anti-corrosive.

Here is a breakdown of what some additives are for

Anti corossives: (Neutralizes acids)
Calcium, Magnesium, Boron.
Anti wear:
Zinc, Molybdenum and Phoshorous
Anti-foam:
Silicon

Schaeffer's #700 15W-40 by far. Very stout specs on paper and really performs, just check the UOA's on this oil. I will be performing UOAs on a 2.5L @ 4.0L Wranglers, 3.8L Monte Carlo @ 02 LS1 Camaro running this oil.

Would you rate Penzoil Long Life in there anywhere? I just put some in my LS1 yesterday. Normally with Mobil 1 10-30/15-50 mix I would have some piston slap for about a block when I first started it up in the morning. This morning it was nice & quiet.

Les

quote:

Originally posted by Les:
Would you rate Penzoil Long Life in there anywhere? I just put some in my LS1 yesterday. Normally with Mobil 1 10-30/15-50 mix I would have some piston slap for about a block when I first started it up in the morning. This morning it was nice & quiet.

Les

I dont think the "Pennzoil Long-Life" formula exists any more except as a brand. By latest VOA it appears that Shell has replaced the Penzoil LL with the Rotella T. There was also a Press Release from when the change was made about the resulting change in color.

I personally prefer Mobile Delvac 1300 or Chevron Delo 400 to Rotella T.

Gene

FWIW, I have used quite a few HDEOs:
Long-Life
Dello
Delvac 1300
Rotella
Rotella Synth
Supertech
Castrol RX

Delvac 1300s is the only 15w-40 that doesn not bog
down my engine. Rotella Synth works great too.

Delo 400 or Castrol RX 15W-40 would be good. Is Delo 400 ACEA A3/B3 rated? I remember seeing that labeled on the Delo 400 15W-40 but some just say ACEA E3. Castrol RX 15W-40 says something about performance requirements of ISLAC GF3, so guess thats good oil for passenger cars.

I switched from Rotella T when they hiked the price, to Mystic. It is rated to withstand heat better than Rotella, but stays a bit thicker in very cold weather.
My understanding is that the 15 in 15W40 means that its actually a 15 weight oil and thereby rated for winter, but it has polymers in it that spring open with heat, causing it to thicken as it gets hotter, never thinning less than the second number rating. EG: 40 weight oil. 5W40 has too large a spread to make up with polymers in mineral oil, thus most make 15W40, but synthetics dont need Polymers and work just fine with 5W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back