What’s the best cartridge filter now?

I use Toyota OEM that I buy from my dealer for around $5 each.
I am thinking I may begin going with 10k filter changes which means every other OCI for me.

I use Toyota OEM that I buy from my dealer for around $5 each.
I am thinking I may begin going with 10k filter changes which means every other OCI for me.
My opinion is any premium guard or Purolator made filters. I'd buy a Purolator One or PG XL for your interval. But the Boss is reinforced smart fusion backed for support if the Purolator One doesn't work out for you.

Last edited:
My opinion is any premium guard or Purolator made filters. I'd buy a Purolator One or PG XL for your interval. But the Boss is reinforced smart fusion backed for support if the one doesn't work out for you.
Whats are filtration numbers? I ask since i have not seen anything worth switching from oem (FRAM for example quotes 99% at 20, but its an average of one cartridge filter and 2 canister types).

Whats are filtration numbers? I ask since i have not seen anything worth switching from oem (FRAM for example quotes 99% at 20, but its an average of one cartridge filter and 2 canister types).
Ask Purolator for a speciation sheet to get the efficiency of the filter you want to use. Fram doesn't offer individual filter efficiencies so I can't help you there. PGs are claimed 99@25 but I like their build quality overall. One of the recent posts here was 99%@17um for a Purolator. Look at some of the spec sheets I've posted in the oil filter forum.

From the Purolator Spec Sheets posted here, most PureONE filters range from 99% @ 25 to 40u. The one that was at 17u is a unicorn.

PGs are claimed 99@25 but I like their build quality overall.
I can't find what PG model they use for that claim ... can you? I bet you can't get a Spec Sheet from them for individual filters either.

Old thread but I'd go with the Mahle based on what's available from RA. Made in Austria and is OE for things such as the E90 M3 and E60 M5.

Hengst is made in Korea and the Denso is made in China. Both are likely of high quality, but not much cheaper than Mahle.

1706843772324.jpg

Surprised to find that both Mercedes and BMW dealers do not seem to add a big mark-up. At least compared to the oil they sell. Finding them only a few dollars more for equivalent premium filters - Mann, STP, others, from my usual retail sources.

STP seems to have a deal with Autozone and the oil companies. Periodically there are bundle deals for 5qts of Full-Syn. plus the appropriate STP filter, but you are out of luck if STP does NOT make the appropriate filter to fit your vehicle.
I buy my filters from either FCPEuro or The BMW Mini Parts Store (a dealer). I don't scrimp.

So this is about my ES350 and a newly acquired 06 Avalon.

These filter companies keep switching things up and every time I go to restock my oil filters (which is maybe once a year) I log onto BITOG and see if anything changed and dang it, it usually has.

So Purolator is out, then M1 was the star, then Fram, but suddenly Fram isn’t good anymore?

I’m doing 7k oil changes on my car (synthetic) and do a filter change every OTHER time (so around 14,000 mi). Was using Fram XG. Still a good choice? Or what’s the verdict here?

I could go to changing the filter every time but I got a system here… 😆🤓
Good Morning Zerosoma,
Your system is a good one. Fram filters are excellent and I would recommend the Ultra Synthetic @20k miles life or the Endurance @25k miles life. This will give you plenty of safety factor. Both readily available at Walmart, reasonably priced and you can inspect the louvers and the build quality prior to purchase. Fram continues to put a seal on the Ultra box (I don't know why) but you can use your fingernail to cut through it with out damaging the packaging. Enjoy the Lexus and Avalon, a couple of excellent cars.

... Fram continues to put a seal on the Ultra box (I don't know why) but you can use your fingernail to cut through it with out damaging the packaging.
Sometimes only the top of the box has that seal, and the bottom can be opened non-destructively.

So this is about my ES350 and a newly acquired 06 Avalon.

These filter companies keep switching things up and every time I go to restock my oil filters (which is maybe once a year) I log onto BITOG and see if anything changed and dang it, it usually has.

So Purolator is out, then M1 was the star, then Fram, but suddenly Fram isn’t good anymore?

I’m doing 7k oil changes on my car (synthetic) and do a filter change every OTHER time (so around 14,000 mi). Was using Fram XG. Still a good choice? Or what’s the verdict here?

I could go to changing the filter every time but I got a system here… 😆🤓
I’ve been using ST cartridges for 4 years now on a 3.6 dodge. It’s a long filter which makes it more susceptible to twisting etc. but at 10k or so miles and they’ve all looked great.
Filter efficiency is more than adequate, the price and availability makes it simple.

Back