What’s the best cartridge filter now?

So this is about my ES350 and a newly acquired 06 Avalon.

These filter companies keep switching things up and every time I go to restock my oil filters (which is maybe once a year) I log onto BITOG and see if anything changed and dang it, it usually has.

So Purolator is out, then M1 was the star, then Fram, but suddenly Fram isn’t good anymore?

I’m doing 7k oil changes on my car (synthetic) and do a filter change every OTHER time (so around 14,000 mi). Was using Fram XG. Still a good choice? Or what’s the verdict here?

I could go to changing the filter every time but I got a system here… 😆🤓

You can never go wrong with a WIX. I like Purolator as well. Shoot, honestly I think Super tech is a well made filter too.

The answer is likely very dependent on what specific filter size is in question. Fram Ultra and ToughGuard cartridges for my Toyota haven't changed lately. Corresponding Extra Guards seem to alternate between a Chinese-made version that, excepting the media, is constructed similar to the ToughGuard, and a US-made version that's constructed similar to corresponding SuperTechs. Toyota-Lexus filters haven't been changed lately either, as far as I know.

The one thing I found weird on these Toyota filters is their construction, and I don't know if it matters or not. Some have a cage and endcaps around the filter media, and some including the Toyota brand have none. I'm assuming this was hotly argued over here at some point, but I just got this toyota and it's new to me. I went Wix the first time, the one I just bought was the regular Toyota filter since it is sold at Walmart. Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here.

The one thing I found weird on these Toyota filters is their construction, and I don't know if it matters or not. Some have a cage and endcaps around the filter media, and some including the Toyota brand have none. ...
Endcap vs. no-endcap construction doesn't matter as much as the quality (and quantity) of the media. Either type can be good, or not-so-good. The newer no-endcap type has some comparatively minor advantages.

European OEMs haven't had plastic/rubber endcaps for decades. Just the composite material. It isn't a problem for Mercedes and BMW, so shouldn't be a problem for a Lexus or Toyota. The plastic/rubber endcaps only seem to be on the cheap filters when I check out what's available.
I've used Mahle, Mann, and Hengst since the '90's with ne'er a failure.
Recently got some Fram Ultra and they appear to hold up fine through two OCIs, with the perceived bonus of the good filter media.

Edit: I did use a K&N on daughter's 328i N52 once and it tore. One case, but it soured me.

Last edited:
European OEMs haven't had endcaps for decades. It isn't a problem for Mercedes and BMW, so shouldn't be a problem for a Lexus or Toyota. The plastic/rubber endcaps only seem to be on the cheap filters when I check out what's available.
I've used Mahle, Mann, and Hengst since the '90's with ne'er a failure.
Recently got some Fram Ultra they appear to hold up fine through two OCIs, with the perceived bonus of the good filter media.
Interesting and good to know. I stayed capless as I figured the oil flow would be better that way, also because the genuine Toyota filter was also capless, Walmart was out of those when I did the first oil change. Regardless, messing with the cartridge filter made me appreciate good ol' spin ons even more.

So this is about my ES350 and a newly acquired 06 Avalon.
Toyota's TRD line and Royal Purple. You'd have to define best, but these two filters are built very well and filter well in terms of capacity and particle size. There may be some that are better in one respect or another, but not much for your applications.

I consider them the unsung filter heroes for Toyota products. I feel that they don't get mentioned much because they are generally more expensive than the usual suspects.

I believe these are the ones that fit your cars, but double-check if you decide to buy one or the other.

Royal Purple Extended Life 20-967
Toyota TRD PTR43-00082
71ygGAzb7eL._AC_UY218_.jpg

When I wrote no endcaps, I meant the plastic type. The Euro filters do have the cardboard/composite at each end. I see Toyota uses a plastic seal that doesn't cover the whole end.

On our 4Runner I run oem filters. Well constructed, good quality and I buy bulk on Ebay from a Toyota dealer at a great price.
Like having a few on hand and online buying is easiest.

Surprised to find that both Mercedes and BMW dealers do not seem to add a big mark-up. At least compared to the oil they sell. Finding them only a few dollars more for equivalent premium filters - Mann, STP, others, from my usual retail sources.

STP seems to have a deal with Autozone and the oil companies. Periodically there are bundle deals for 5qts of Full-Syn. plus the appropriate STP filter, but you are out of luck if STP does NOT make the appropriate filter to fit your vehicle.

Back