What's so great about Opel? Re: Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturn keeps touting it's Opel inspired designs, but I didn't realize Opel was considering a leader in terms of quality.

It's more that their their cars that are designed for people who like cars instead of just being transportation appliances.

AFAIK, their quality is pretty good too.

The Catera was a pimped out Opel Commodore. The Commodore was a decent mid range sedan that was comfortable cruising down the autobahn for hour on end at 100 mph plus. Caddy pimped it out to appeal to it's customer base, mushed up the suspension etc.

If the Commodore was going to be imported, it should have been brought into the US in it's high performance autobahn burner configuration, with minimal changes, and sold as a Pontiac without tuning it into a pimpmobile.

Saturn seems to be doing a better job of bringing Euro GM inspired cars to market.

It's all about marketing. When a company starts offering a product that is relatively rare in this country or could be considered "exotic or unique" to those who really don't know about Opel, the flock of un-knowing sheep come running, money in hand. Those who are familiar with Opel will of course say 'so what'.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, but rebadging Opels as Saturns saves GM a lot of money. For each vehicle they bring in, the development costs are drastically reduced compared to developing a car from the ground up or even brand-engineering* an existing platform and we benefit from the Euro-inspired styling and handling. Of all the Opel's I've seen (and I've seen several Opel versions of Saturn cars around Detroit here), the ONLY thing that appears different is the badge which they can easily do since most people will never see the Opel version. They may not import every powertrain configuration, but that's mostly a marketing decision, i.e. deciding what combos will best appeal to Americans.

*I'm differentiating brand engineering from rebadging here. Brand engineering would be like the Saab 9-7x, which is based on the Trailblazer/Envoy, but contains substantial re-engineering, incl. the suspension and all of the interior. The Saturn Sky Redline and the Opel GT are virtually identical, though.

GM is trying to get away from duplication of effort. If they have a proven design such as the Opel Astra, the largest selling car in Europe in 06, it only makes sense to try and use it here as a Saturn Astra.

Actually Saturn was in the discussion to get the axe after Oldsmobile. 20 years of not showing a profit doesn't look good on the bottom line.

Saturn survived by agreeing to some duplication and working with the other divisions on technology, engines, and build.

You may see other division vehicles built at the Saturn factory.

I have the '05 Opel Astra 1,8 wagon. Use it at work.
Quality is behind premium (Audi, BMW, MB) but equal to Ford. Reliability is far better than any premium car I've had. In 2 years and 40000 km, it has only had oil changes at the dealer.
Opel got a bad reputation after the first generation Opel Omega, a piece of junk
smile.gif

Quote:

Saturn keeps touting it's Opel inspired designs

Do they actually tout it in their ads? Or is it just GM execs quoted in the car magazines? Because it would be strange for Saturn to admit to their customers that they're no longer the 'little domestic import fighter' they started out as. Or maybe the GM marketers have repositioned the Saturn brand? It's pretty good that fresh looking European cars are sold here, no matter how GM spins it. But I also sense Saturn would be embarrassed to admit these are rebadged Opels.

Saturn is still GM's main import conquest brand. I've heard that stated very recently. It's now more than that, though, and they've moved it upmarket to better compete with Honda and Toyota.

Quote:

Saturn is still GM's main import conquest brand. I've heard that stated very recently. It's now more than that, though, and they've moved it upmarket to better compete with Honda and Toyota.

Anyone looking for a Camry/Accord/Sonata class cars owes it to theirself to take a good look an a Saturn Aura. We didn't get one, but it's an impressive car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back