What’s in your GM 4 speed?

As the title states it’s just a census of what you guys are running in your General Motors 4 speed transmissions. I’ve got an impala with a 4t65 and I’m running maxlife over two pan drips so about 75%ish replacement.

I always ran Maxlife Syn in mine (4L60E). Never had a single problem with it in 150,000 miles.

I did a spill and fill every 15-20 thousand miles. Overkill? Maybe, but is was so simple on this transmission that it maybe took an extra 10 minutes when changing the engine oil.

Last edited:
I haven't changed the fluid on one yet, but when I do, I'll use Maxlife, unless Castrol happens to be on sale at the time.

Also, since GM doesn't include a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one, which will make future ATF changes much easier :)

Essentially, although TES-295 I believe is more friction modified like DEX VI but with the full viscosity of DEX III and more shear stable base oils.
This brings up a question I’ve always wanted to ask of; for the transmissions originally designed for dex3 wouldn’t TES-295 be a better candidate for transmission fluid than dex vi since the starting viscosity is a better match and it is (presumably by me) similarly shear stable?

I was running the Castrol multi synthetic in my last 4L60e … changed pan volume every 30k … 8 years of smooth/solid shifts on/off road with 4.10 gears …

This brings up a question I’ve always wanted to ask of; for the transmissions originally designed for dex3 wouldn’t TES-295 be a better candidate for transmission fluid than dex vi since the starting viscosity is a better match and it is (presumably by me) similarly shear stable?
That's the conclusion I've drawn from reading this forum and some of the comments of an ex-Allison engineer that's posted here and some other forums before.

That's the conclusion I've drawn from reading this forum and some of the comments of an ex-Allison engineer that's posted here and some other forums before.
I may be trying that in my next pan drops or fluid exchange with this information.

You'll get different conflicting stances on the subject, Member Whitewolf didn't care much for TES-295....But I think he had a hand in the development of Dexron VI. The Allison fluid engineer we had for a VERY short period thought TES-295 was superior & of course had a hand in it's development.

I've been using TES-295 in GM 4 speeds for years & really like it's performance.

This is the best deal I've seen for anyone that suddenly feels the need to go out and buy some TES-295 fluid, at $8/qt it's the same price as buying DEX VI at the autoparts store.
Summit sells some good juice … ironically I get my Delvac 1 gear oil (for GM rear end) from them because the Porsche track guys slurp it up for the “rearbox” …
Class 8 long OCI gear oil that works great in so many applications …

Back