What’s in your GM 4 speed?

My Trailblazer with the 4L60E has mostly Amsoil LV ATF with a hint of Maxlife. Its got 100,000km on that fluid so it might get the old Maxlife fluid exchange this spring.

The 4L60E in my 1993 C1500 has a mix of Federated Co-op generic Dex/Merc and a touch of some other random leftovers.

I believe Castrol Transynd was the first TES-295 approved ATF followed by Castrol's parent BP branded fluid (Autran Syn 295)
PetroCanada was the 1st DexVI license (Mobil was 2nd) but whoever got the FF contract is who piles the miles

I use whichever Dex VI I can find a good deal on. I've used Mag 1, Castrol, and Valvoline, and all perform well.

Reactions: 4WD
Delvac 1 ATF (TES-295) in my 4L65E, Maxlife is a good choice in my opinion though!!
The TES-295 spec seems to be a good solid choice for a lot of 90s-00s autos that would use a Dex/Merc type of fluid.

I use Dex VI in the trucks at work as top off, don't usually change the fluid. I use the fluid in the catalog because that's protocol, not going to get blamed for a trans going out on a 400k truck because I deviated. We have very few transmission issues out of several very high mileage 4L60E and a couple 4L80E trucks.

This in a 4L80e (04 GMC Sierra 2500HD), it’s a TES-295 clone. It has only had this in it for about 2,000 miles. I dropped the pan and changed the filter. This was the first transmission service on this vehicle since it was purchased in 2010. It had ~94k on the odo when I dropped the pan. It has a pan drain plug and I plan to drain and refill again at the next oil change. I also used the same fluid in the floor shifted transfer case.

I have Maxlife in a 4L60e in an 05 Trailblazer with the 4.2. I initially did a cooler line exchange 5 or 6 years ago without dropping the pan or changing the filter, I ran about 12 quarts through it until what was coming out looked as good as what was going in. I think it had about 48k miles on it at the time. In January of 2017 (55k miles) I dropped the pan, changed the filter and refilled with 5 quarts of Maxlife. I haven’t touched the fluid since then except to extract 12oz of fluid through the dipstick tube and add 12oz of Lubegard Platinum. There wasn’t anything wrong before, but the Lubegard noticeably quickened the shifts. The car has around 66k miles now.

I believe Castrol Transynd was the first TES-295 approved ATF followed by Castrol's parent BP branded fluid (Autran Syn 295)
Yes, Allison worked with Castrol on building the spec, they were the initial supplier, then it was opened to anybody who wanted to spend the money to qualify.

Supertech dex/merc in my 2005 4L60e with 220,000 miles. Siphon and fill 4 qts annually. Pan has never been off.

As the title states it’s just a census of what you guys are running in your General Motors 4 speed transmissions. I’ve got an impala with a 4t65 and I’m running maxlife over two pan drips so about 75%ish replacement.
Mobil 1 112980 synthetic ATF

Back